Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Been reading all the comments about Barrass back and decided to look up what the injury was and impacts. Geez, massive risk. Offering anything like 5 years would be madness. Even 3 years is a massive risk. for what WC would be asking surely we simply turn the other way.

I watch almost every vfl game and to say Smith is an exciting ruck prospect is a massive understatement. He’s got it. Bookmark it.
Did the club have the foresight to draft Smith knowing that English leaving was a genuine possiblity?

Last edited:

Do we get compo if we let him walk or do we have to match and have the Eagles trade for him like Geelong did with Cameron?
We get compensation if we don't match. If we are unhappy with the compensation (if it's band 2, end of first round) then we match the offer and force a trade. Very unlikely that it isn't band 1 though.

Did the club have the foresight to draft Smith knowing that English leaving was a genuine possiblity?

Been thinking about this myself. Obviously with Sweet going we needed a backup. But more to the point, if English leaves and if Lobb cements a place in our backline I wonder how we go with a young ruck next year being backed up by both Lobb and Darcy. having 3 genuine ruck options on field at once gives us a lot of flexibility to take some pressure off him.

Been thinking about this myself. Obviously with Sweet going we needed a backup. But more to the point, if English leaves and if Lobb cements a place in our backline I wonder how we go with a young ruck next year being backed up by both Lobb and Darcy. having 3 genuine ruck options on field at once gives us a lot of flexibility to take some pressure off him.

Darcy is going to be an elite ruck.

Gives us a chance to develop O’Donnell and Busslinger. Lobb is the ideal second ruck.

Darcy is going to be an elite ruck.

Gives us a chance to develop O’Donnell and Busslinger. Lobb is the ideal second ruck.
Darcy may be an elite ruck, but with the exception of Gawn, there has not been an Elite ruck in a premiership team for closing in on 20 years.

Darcy is developing into an elite forward ruck, a much more dominant role who with Naughts and Marra can form a near unstoppable forward line given their pressure and ability below their knees.

Why on earth would we throw that away and try a pick-up hacks from other teams to replace English. Also, why subject Darcy's body first ruck when it is 3 to 5 years away from fully maturing.

The first 3 years of English's contract provides great opportunity for Smith to develop his craft and come in when English is unavailable.

5 years at around $800,000 is.spot on. We have heaps a cap space and takes care of ruck, ruck forwards for the next years with the possibility of Croft developing in that mix to.

As for Smith, from what I have heard, it is a strong possibility he will move on but certainly not definite. Given our updated offer and the support provided to him, not only this year, but with his other issues, I would not be surprised at all if he signs around September.

Smith and English resigning given both their age and roles they do and can play puts us in a significantly better position than a late first rounder this draft, which we could also obtain by trading a future first if necessary.

As for Barass, he is as close to cooked as you can get, given the development of our backs would only take him on as a part of a salary dump and even then would think about it.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Darcy may be an elite ruck, but with the exception of Gawn, there has not been an Elite ruck in a premiership team for closing in on 20 years.

Darcy is developing into an elite forward ruck, a much more dominant role who with Naughts and Marra can form a near unstoppable forward line given their pressure and ability below their knees.

Why on earth would we throw that away and try a pick-up hacks from other teams to replace English. Also, why subject Darcy's body first ruck when it is 3 to 5 years away from fully maturing.

The first 3 years of English's contract provides great opportunity for Smith to develop his craft and come in when English is unavailable.

5 years at around $800,000 is.spot on. We have heaps a cap space and takes care of ruck, ruck forwards for the next years with the possibility of Croft developing in that mix to.

As for Smith, from what I have heard, it is a strong possibility he will move on but certainly not definite. Given our updated offer and the support provided to him, not only this year, but with his other issues, I would not be surprised at all if he signs around September.

Smith and English resigning given both their age and roles they do and can play puts us in a significantly better position than a late first rounder this draft, which we could also obtain by trading a future first if necessary.

As for Barass, he is as close to cooked as you can get, given the development of our backs would only take him on as a part of a salary dump and even then would think about it.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can’t have watched Barrass play this year and come away with the opinion he is cooked, he has been real good. We can argue about longevity if we want but that’s another topic all together.

Umm Tom barrass and aaron naughton just followed eachother back on Insta

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be tempted to take a risk on jaidyn stephenson. Would be low risk high reward. Pacey skillful probably cost 300k next year and a pick in the 60s.

Out: Bailey Smith In: Dan Houston?

By all measurements English is about the 4th best ruck in the league outside of ruck contests and about the 15th in the ruck contests themselves.

If anyone would like to disagree with me on that, fair enough, but I think that's about an unbiased assessment

I personally would give them about equal weight leading to English being about the 10th-11st best ruck in the league this season.

His All-Australian year last year does not have no (though it does only have small) value in predicting his future output.

If we can more or less get the 8th best ruck in the league, on average, over the next 5 years, on $800k, I think that's actually excellent value in relation to the salary cap. I am of the belief that English will be better than that ranking over the next five years, but I think that's a plain and simple and fair and balanced assessment of his current and therefore likely future performance.

None of this doesn't even measure the certainty vs uncertainty aspect ie we could very well go around chasing a first ruck, overpaying for them, in the hope of the fact that our next in line first ruck after English doesn't work ie. Sydney paying Ladhams to play in the reserves (which we can avoid paying English).
You don't mention the uncertainty the other way.

One such uncertainty is English could be retired if he gets one more serious head knock. Then we are back in the hunt for a ruck or hoping we can manage with LSmith, Lobb, Darcy et al. And we get no draft picks for him.
The other uncertainty is which English will we get? The robust English we saw against Geelong last Saturday (I had him in our best 5) or the Timid Timmy that we saw a fair bit of earlier in the season?

Nonetheless I agree with you: if he can stay on the park then 5x$800k is a pretty good deal for us. No player is guaranteed to stay fit, so we just have to manage the risk. I also have a feeling he will have a better season in 2025, maybe back to his AA form of 2023.

IF …. Barass does end up at the Hawks it is statically odd that so many of our supposed trade targets (recently) have disproportional ended up there. Wingard, Impey and potentially Barass.

For a recruiting dept that is reportedly known for running a tight ship we tend to be linked to players early in the season allowing enough time for a competitor to muscle in with a better deal.

Not suggesting hawks are actively undermining us but it is odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be tempted to take a risk on jaidyn stephenson. Would be low risk high reward. Pacey skillful probably cost 300k next year and a pick in the 60s.
I was thinking this too. North playing him at half back in vfl. If irc he was a wingman as a junior. I think he could be a very good wingman. Maybe third club is a charm. Just a thought.

If English wants out I hope we try to pry Ned Reeves from the Hawks. Has fallen behind Meek but he is a solid ruckman and the type that has troubled English in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back