Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

They'd be able to afford both. I would guess it means they've given up on Smith though. Whilst the cap isn't an issue draft picks would be.
Battle is a FA and with the change in future picks trading they could feasibly make both work.
I still think Baz leaves (Geelong frontrunner), even if he hasn't made his mind up yet. It would be a problem for us IF Ed wasn't so damn good in the middle.

With Sweet going we just needed another ruck anyway, as much for Footscray as anything else. Almost zero chance Smith is ready for serious AFL minutes in 2025
Absolutely agree. It's such a critical position to have depth in. I would (once again) tap Tom Downie on the shoulder and see if he's willing to enter the system again for next year. He's AFL quality and it was only mental health that led him to leave the system. He's at Willy so not far away.

Absolutely agree. It's such a critical position to have depth in. I would (once again) tap Tom Downie on the shoulder and see if he's willing to enter the system again for next year. He's AFL quality and it was only mental health that led him to leave the system. He's at Willy so not far away.
Tom Downie has nominated for a few Mid-season drafts so he definitely did have a interest in returning to the AFL.

Would be tempted to take a risk on jaidyn stephenson. Would be low risk high reward. Pacey skillful probably cost 300k next year and a pick in the 60s.
Would be worth a look.

Elite talent but very immature early in his career. Could have plenty to give with a bit of maturity and under the right coach (Bevo)?

Was on a hiding to nothing playing forward at Norf and could be tried as a half forward or winger.

Would have to interview well, but as a cheapie there is definite potential for a return.

We get compensation if we don't match. If we are unhappy with the compensation (if it's band 2, end of first round) then we match the offer and force a trade. Very unlikely that it isn't band 1 though.
Be interesting to know how keen they are for him because in theory we'd be better off matching and forcing a trade even if its for their F1 it'll be almost guaranteed top 3 next year

Would be worth a look.

Elite talent but very immature early in his career. Could have plenty to give with a bit of maturity and under the right coach (Bevo)?

Was on a hiding to nothing playing forward at Norf and could be tried as a half forward or winger.

Would have to interview well, but as a cheapie there is definite potential for a return.
Yep would be worth a chat. 1 year contract see if he pulls his head in. Winger would be ideal with pace and skill. Again low risk high reward. better than someone like Mcneil or Bedendo on the list

Would be the smarter play by the Hawks. Despite their recent form showing a strong defensive profile that back 6 is severely lacking in quality.
not really they're still 2-3 years off properly competing so wasting a high value draft pick on someone like Barrass wouldn't be the smartest idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key position is their weakest position so adding Battle and Barrass is a big step to climbing the ladder in my view.
For sure it is but they still lack genuine top end talent,

They're well coached currently but their Top 5 players would be Newcombe, Day, Sicily, Moore and say Ginnivan

For sure it is but they still lack genuine top end talent,

They're well coached currently but their Top 5 players would be Newcombe, Day, Sicily, Moore and say Ginnivan
They'll need to bring in a few more that's for sure but the depth they have and competency across the board makes up for the lack of genuine top talent. We've seen what a team of champions like GWS have been capable of. Give me an even spread over a couple champions every time.

Isn't he a bit of a DH? Had one good season at Collingwood, but it would have to be at a bargain basement rate. Almost free. Even then...
had a blinder first season got pushed out for salary cap. Went to North who have been no good every year he has been there. Would get him for 300k and a pick in the 60s i reckon. Again worth the interview 1 year at a solid team and career on the line no real risk involved.

They'll need to bring in a few more that's for sure but the depth they have and competency across the board makes up for the lack of genuine top talent. We've seen what a team of champions like GWS have been capable of. Give me an even spread over a couple champions every time.
100% you need a spread but you also need genuine matchwinners Dusty/Bont/Petracca/Daicos/De Goey/Dangerfield types over the last couple years and I just don't see that with them yet

had a blinder first season got pushed out for salary cap. Went to North who have been no good every year he has been there. Would get him for 300k and a pick in the 60s i reckon. Again worth the interview 1 year at a solid team and career on the line no real risk involved.
Could get him on half that

I get it but don't let sentiment get in the way of reality. Jack Mac has been a magnificent servant of the club but he has been replaced by Richards and possibly Sanders in time.

We turned Callan Ward into Jack Mac. Jack Mac needs to pass the baton on. The alternative is a full re-build at some point with Libba, Treloar coming to the end in the not too distant future.
We turned Jordan McMahon into Callan ward

Would be worth a look.

I don't think north could offer us enough to get that absolute fruityloop to the Bulldogs.
Do Not Want with a capital everything

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back