Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Key position is their weakest position so adding Battle and Barrass is a big step to climbing the ladder in my view.
Battle has been very good this year. TBH I'd prefer Battle for free (FA) than Barrass for a first rounder

So what happens if we lose Tim to WC, Baz to Geelong & Barrass stays/goes elsewhere?

Are we a significantly worse team if we lose Tim and replace him with a mediocre ruckman (Reeves, Pittonet etc.)?

In this ‘doomsday’ scenario, do we take two top 10-15 picks to the draft to continue our list replenishment and hope our natural improvement that we’ve shown this year continues and makes us a contender?

Ultimately Baz & Barrass have played zero part in this years form and English’s impact is certainly debatable this season.

So what happens if we lose Tim to WC, Baz to Geelong & Barrass stays/goes elsewhere?

Are we a significantly worse team if we lose Tim and replace him with a mediocre ruckman (Reeves, Pittonet etc.)?

In this ‘doomsday’ scenario, do we take two top 10-15 picks to the draft to continue our list replenishment and hope our natural improvement that we’ve shown this year continues and makes us a contender?

Ultimately Baz & Barrass have played zero part in this years form and English’s impact is certainly debatable this season.

Now would not be the time to go all in on the draft. If we have cap space and picks to burn we should be aggressive.

Our backline is lacking in defensively capable players though appears strong in intercept capability. We are relying on Doc for a lot.

We have this revolving door of Poulter/Scott/Baker on the wing when all 3 are lucky they’re contracted beyond this year.

VDM and McNeil are very limited role players that are filling a gap.

Take your pick as to what is more important but I would hope we use assets to address those areas to go all in on 2025. There will be natural improvement but I don’t see it much in those areas based on what we have now. Freijah could move to a wing but will still be a 2nd year player. Charlie Clarke - no idea if he’s even on the list next season. And no lockdown defenders waiting in the vfl really.

Really want to keep Smith. We need to do what we can to keep him IMO.

We’ll be a real threat for the flag again next year if we do. Smith’s running power is very underrated.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cal Twomey on Gettable yesterday said Smith is a certainty to leave, which makes sense with the moves Sam Power has been doing. They must have known this since last year.

Darcy might be an elite ruck. But he's already an excellent forward
It may be there's only physical room for 3 KPF's on the ground. We have seen it when astro was out how more effective Marra was with a bit of room to operate.
But Darcy to start as 1st choice ruck( I can't factor in Timmy till he commits) then Darcy can rest in the fwd line when either Marra or astro go to the bench.
Same with Lobb, starts as a KPD, then to 2nd ruck with a Buss/Buku/JOD coming off the bench.

Cal Twomey on Gettable yesterday said Smith is a certainty to leave, which makes sense with the moves Sam Power has been doing. They must have known this since last year.
How much coin do you recon the Cats will report to the AFL, outside of the under table cotton on payments?
Band 1 or Band 2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle has been very good this year. TBH I'd prefer Battle for free (FA) than Barrass for a first rounder
Getting battle for free as a FA,plus the potential salary caps savings of Timmy and the compo pick ( it has to similar to McKay....top 5 pick) might be a more astitute bargin.
You think Battle would be cheaper than Timmy's contact, with spare $$ for a ruck?

Getting battle for free as a FA,plus the potential salary caps savings of Timmy and the compo pick ( it has to similar to McKay....top 5 pick) might be a more astitute bargin.
You think Battle would be cheaper than Timmy's contact, with spare $$ for a ruck?
On par going by the numbers - 850k to 900k. Simply because the Hawks have heaps of cap space.

I'm not sure they're are any decent replacements around for Timmy. In the absence of anything "decent" I'd be inclined to keep him.

The main reporter pushing this is also Ryan Daniels, who is a WA reporter, who I dont think any rumor he has said has come to fruition...
The fact this gained traction yesterday was bit weird to me, its been pretty common knowledge for months now that the Eagles are the only other suitor for English. Still no figures being reported on, just that they are offering an extra year which is pretty standard if you are trying to pry a player out.

Agreed.

I am a bit surprised St Kilda haven't been mentioned as a suitor for Bailey Smith, given they are based where Baz wants to be.

The following would be a pretty good outcome for all parties;

• We make a band 1 offer for Battle.
  • StKilda use the their first to get Baz (knowing they have the next pick anyway).

As a result;

• Baz gets a fat contract, starting midfield position and a south east suburbs base,
  • Saints turn Battle (who was gone anyway) into a badly needed pacy, burst midfielder,
  • We turn Baz into Battle and a top 6-8 pick.

If you bring In a free agent when you lose one that impacts the compensation you get. In this scenario if we lost English and then brought in Battle we would not get any compensation for English given they both likely trigger band 1.
This is why if English does leave we won't be bringing in a free agent.

If you bring In a free agent when you lose one that impacts the compensation you get. In this scenario if we lost English and then brought in Battle we would not get any compensation for English given they both likely trigger band 1.

Unless we match for English and force WC to trade for him instead. That way stay or go we come out in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for the info, appreciated 👏
I world rather bank the salary cap savings, use the band 1 pick to replenish our midfield stocks with no current 1st rounder in 2024, and use some of our 2nd/3rd round picks to trade/draft for a mature bodied ruck.
Bugger about loosing Sweet if we knew Timmy wasn't going to commit.

We stand to gain this year if English does leave, but free agency compensation (particularly 1st round compo) is the worst.

There shouldn't be a system where clubs are actively hoping their player leaves because the compensation is significantly greater than what they'd receive in a trade, and every other club not involved in losing or acquiring the player loses out by being forced down the draft order.

It's just ludicrous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back