Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

The day after we beat Collingwood, Sanders and Coffield attended my Auskick centre. Bailey Smith was meant to accompany them.

When I asked if Baz was on his way, Riley and Nick looked at each other and for a second there was awkward silence before one of them responded, "I wouldn't expect him to come."

That small interaction took me from 70% sure he was gone to 95%.

It would be disappointing if there wasn't a valid reason as to why he didn't attend. The kids would have loved it.
I know it most likely won't, but behaviour such as this should also should a warning to any potential suitor for Smith. It does't sound like a team/club orientated act to me. If you are still on the payroll then you have obligations to meet.

Today the AFL present the changes for the 2024 Free Agent and Trade Period
Full details expected to leak out today or next week

The expected changes- info grabbed from many AFL reporters

- NGA Bidding restrictions is gone, and able to match from Pick 1 onwards
-NGA Players will have different categories depending on how long in their Academy (e.g may not get access if added in their draft year)
- Rework of Draft Points Value, expected to be in 2025 Draft
-Mid Season Pick Trading for next year
-Extension on Rookie listed player, expected to be 5 years before promoting to main list
-Re-work of Free Agent compo for 2025

Today the AFL present the changes for the 2024 Free Agent and Trade Period
Full details expected to leak out today or next week

The expected changes- info grabbed from many AFL reporters

- NGA Bidding restrictions is gone, and able to match from Pick 1 onwards
-NGA Players will have different categories depending on how long in their Academy (e.g may not get access if added in their draft year)
- Rework of Draft Points Value, expected to be in 2025 Draft
-Mid Season Pick Trading for next year
-Extension on Rookie listed player, expected to be 5 years before promoting to main list
-Re-work of Free Agent compo for 2025
Very happy with the free agent compo being looked at. Hoping also that the draft points reworking also scraps the 20% discount for bid matching which is completely unnecessary.

Perhaps the plan is to roll with a 50/50 Lobb & Darcy ruck duo next year with Barrass at FB and Jones at CHB. In that way we pay the Timmy money to Barrass, pay the English compo pick to West Coast for Barrass, and we're in the similar list/cap position but believe it's a stronger on-field unit.

If Barrass chooses Hawthorn, we up our offer to Timmy and re-sign him. Lobb stays at CHB.
Plausible hypothetical, but in this scenario what’s Lobb’s role when not rucking? Ruck/fwd? Surely we can’t be going back to that well again.

How would you present some kind of team power ranking graph/display to the general masses?
Points for / points against is already represented in percentage well enough, I'd just rank the teams by that if that's what's considered a good metric for a team's premiership chances.

A 2D attack-defence plot is a fair enough idea but it's just lazy to use points for/against. Off the top of my head I can't say what a better one is, but it at least has to be something not already measured well enough elsewhere. There's plenty of AFL stats fanatics that offer more useful ones.

Did some asking around of a new 'ITK' today on ''Where is Bailey Smith?''
3rd hand information here.

Cracked the shits at the club for refusing to play him in the back end of this year without a new contract.

Contractual obligations are the only reason you'll see him showing his face around MWO now.

This is why he hasn't been around the club / not returning Brad Johnsons phone calls.

Literal toddler if true, door can't close on him fast enough. Hopefully he keeps his head buried in the dirt until after finals so none of his antics distract the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cracked the shits at the club for refusing to play him in the back end of this year without a new contract.

Contractual obligations are the only reason you'll see him showing his face around MWO now.

This is why he hasn't been around the club / not returning Brad Johnsons phone calls.

Literal toddler if true, door can't close on him fast enough. Hopefully he keeps his head buried in the dirt until after finals so none of his antics distract the team.
What a brat. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Points for / points against is already represented in percentage well enough, I'd just rank the teams by that if that's what's considered a good metric for a team's premiership chances.

A 2D attack-defence plot is a fair enough idea but it's just lazy to use points for/against. Off the top of my head I can't say what a better one is, but it at least has to be something not already measured well enough elsewhere. There's plenty of AFL stats fanatics that offer more useful ones.
But as you say % is 1D, this is 2D so actually shows where each team sits on 2 axes.

It may be that the simple metric of points for against is one of the better ones. Also it has to be digestible for the masses. Anything too complicated like what might be seen on fan sites could be too confusing. Already people struggle with the squiggle.

I just don't get the criticism for something that is at least a step in the right direction in terms of using data for analysis.

Want’s to come in to cash in on our hard earned finals spot (hopefully)

I’ve met him a couple times at Bulldogs events, total tosser. The rumours of him not being liked at the club don’t surprise me in the slightest.

Club protecting Smith as much as themselves with this approach. If he came back and re-injured the knee before signing a contract no doubt that’d be the clubs fault as well.
Time to grow up, Bailey.

The day after we beat Collingwood, Sanders and Coffield attended my Auskick centre. Bailey Smith was meant to accompany them.

When I asked if Baz was on his way, Riley and Nick looked at each other and for a second there was awkward silence before one of them responded, "I wouldn't expect him to come."

That small interaction took me from 70% sure he was gone to 95%.

It would be disappointing if there wasn't a valid reason as to why he didn't attend. The kids would have loved it.

Either way I do think Smith is gone but to play devils advocate on that particular day, my daughters Auskick was also scheduled to have 4 bulldogs players attend the morning after the Collingwood win. Only West showed up. Vanders was 1 of the 4 and he injured his hamstring in the Pies game which was fair enough, the other 2 just didn't show.

The club may have made plans/training/rehab last minute for some of the boys, rather than Smith choosing not to go.

Seems a little strange Brad Johnson was brought up. Does the goal kicking coach really have much to do with a player recovering from an ACL? Genuine question.

Understandable from all sides if true

The only thing motivating a player through rehab sessions after a long term injury is being able to get back out there to play. That finish line being pushed 6 months down the track is a tough pill to swallow. Having a sign or you can't play stipulaton would have you feeling like a commodity too

But makes sense from the club, if you're expecting a player to leave, bringing him back for finals could turn off players he pushes out and if he gets hurt again completely destroy any trade leverage

Shit situation for all

BM, I really appreciate your info, along with the other valuable posters with connections. Please don't take this as me criticising you or telling you not to post, because the place would be poorer without both your info and your own contributions, too. But some of the stuff that gets shared here makes me a little uncomfortable, to be honest.

I don't mind so much the 'will he stay will he go' updates, but it's this kinda stuff that's impossible to verify but speaks directly to a player or staff member's character that makes me feel a bit yuck. Frankly it feels like dangerous information to share, regardless of whether it's true and especially if it's not. Even the media have a line for the stuff they'll print and I feel like we push way past that line sometimes, and I'm not really sure we should.

I think ultimately I just don't fully understand what the benefit of this kinda info is. I've only been glancing at these threads here and there for months, but I've seen all kinds of stuff posted about various players, including bringing bikies into the club, allusions to drug use, tantrums, and other issues that are not really our business. What purpose does supporters knowing about these things (again, true or untrue) serve, other than to turn us against our own players, perhaps wrongly? I'm not sure knowing for knowing's sake really outweighs the possible damage these accusations could do to a player and a club.

By no means am I telling you or anybody else what to post. I guess I'm just giving my two cents and saying that I think those with info should keep this in mind. Some things are better not shared and I think it's important you're constantly assessing where that line is.

BM, I really appreciate your info, along with the other valuable posters with connections. Please don't take this as me criticising you or telling you not to post, because the place would be poorer without both your info and your own contributions, too. But some of the stuff that gets shared here makes me a little uncomfortable, to be honest.

I don't mind so much the 'will he stay will he go' updates, but it's this kinda stuff that's impossible to verify but speaks directly to a player or staff member's character that makes me feel a bit yuck. Frankly it feels like dangerous information to share, regardless of whether it's true and especially if it's not. Even the media have a line for the stuff they'll print and I feel like we push way past that line sometimes, and I'm not really sure we should.

I think ultimately I just don't fully understand what the benefit of this kinda info is. I've only been glancing at these threads here and there for months, but I've seen all kinds of stuff posted about various players, including bringing bikies into the club, allusions to drug use, tantrums, and other issues that are not really our business. What purpose does supporters knowing about these things (again, true or untrue) serve, other than to turn us against our own players, perhaps wrongly? I'm not sure knowing for knowing's sake really outweighs the possible damage these accusations could do to a player and a club.

By no means am I telling you or anybody else what to post. I guess I'm just giving my two cents and saying that I think those with info should keep this in mind. Some things are better not shared and I think it's important you're constantly assessing where that line is.
My info came from no one within the 4 walls.

I don’t have an internal contact at the Dogs anymore. I know a few others here and I know they have internal contacts, but any info I pass on comes from player managers (I know two) and another Melbourne based clubs list manager.

I have been passed information in the past (you should see my inbox here) that I haven’t felt comfortable passing on, I’ll continue to only pass on things I consider credible or at least that I think are 75% credible.

Industry moves very quickly and things can change within minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back