Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

So I’ve come around to English is must keep, at the right price. He’s never going to be the traditional ruckman some want but finding a replacement at this stage of the team’s development isn’t ideal and I’ve been really impressed with his response the past month. Hopefully he knew himself the Essendon game wasn’t acceptable.

So I’ve come around to English is must keep, at the right price. He’s never going to be the traditional ruckman some want but finding a replacement at this stage of the team’s development isn’t ideal and I’ve been really impressed with his response the past month. Hopefully he knew himself the Essendon game wasn’t acceptable.

We’ve put so much time into English, it would be very disappointing to see him leave.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With English I wouldn't go too crazy matching what the Eagles would offer purely because it would be stupid amounts of money. The big worry is his concussion history and that it takes him like two months to find form following a concussion.

If our offer and the Eagles offer were similar money with maybe a year difference then yeah, match it because we have sunk a lot of effort into his development. I'd look to maybe going 50-50 with Darcy next year and resting English forward.

Consider it's all interpretation and version of events true. One persons "cracking the shits" can be "this guy is a competitive beast and wants to play as early as possible and push past the medical advice".

I know it most likely won't, but behaviour such as this should also should a warning to any potential suitor for Smith. It does't sound like a team/club orientated act to me. If you are still on the payroll then you have obligations to meet.
I can offer an alternate point of view. Last year my daughter attended a kids training session at the Whitten Oval. And had a signing session after.
My daughter missed out in the initial opportunity due to Smith's popularity. As he was walking back to the rooms my wife asked politely for a signature and he stopped and signed her guernsey.
And posed for a quick photo when he didn't have to he had done his club expected obligations.
My daughter was stoked I heard about it for days. He may be gone but that is footy these days

I've said this a million times on this thread before but if people could actually look at the terms of the contract that Smith is being offered by other clubs, they'd be thinking a lot differently about the whole situation, and would actually be understanding of the way that he's acted as he did.

I'm not sure of the exact, exact dollar amounts, but Smith if he leaves will be in the top 20-25 paid players in the competition next season - it's not just a million dollars per year but well, well north of that.

Dogs are offering a contract that's pretty much right in line with any common sense understanding of his on-field value worth (ie our ~8th highest paid player for a little bit short of a million a year). But obviously as the social media star of the young AFL generation, other clubs see him as an asset that's worth sinking the salary cap into recruiting for more than pure on-field contributions.

It's a bit hard to turn down half a million per year more for the next 2 years (this is what we're talking) and guaranteed money for several years after that, especially with an element of uncertainty over your own form given coming off an own knee. There's every chance he becomes just a middling, role-playing AFL player that isn't an All-Australian or anything, a bit like Stringer at Essendon, and we can all move on with building premiership contending teams because we aren't a dumb club with how we distribute our salary cap to try and win premierships like a lot of other clubs are.

Players very rarely play in the same year they do an ACL. The medical staff would have to sign off on it.

I've no particular interest in re-signing Smith. He's become a better player since he got injured, seemingly. Couldn't hit an elephant's arse with a bouzouki.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players very rarely play in the same year they do an ACL. The medical staff would have to sign off on it.

I've no particular interest in re-signing Smith. He's become a better player since he got injured, seemingly. Couldn't hit an elephant's arse with a bouzouki.
Players have come back in 8-10 months before, and it's probably not untrue to suggest that Smith if he had injured his knee as little of 2-3 weeks earlier could have come back and played ithis season.

But there's no way we'd pick a bloke with no fitness base and no pre-season to play his first games of the year in a push toward finals or in finals itself.

I still think Bevo is haunted by his decision to play Toby McLean for his only game of the season in the '22 final vs. Freo. 10 touches and looked a million bucks in the first quarter that game. But was running up and down on the spot in the second half with no fitness base and structurally was part of the reason we blew that big lead that game, even if he didn't necessarily make huge mistakes with ball in hand. Bevo won't make the same mistake twice in finals.

Liam Duggan still off limits?

Hope we have sorted out the Garcia situation. Adds grunt around the stoppages. Good age and plenty of years of good football left. Really compliments a future midfield of Bont, Richards and Sanders. Just need one more A grade mid post Trelour and Libba retirement. It would be great to keep Baz as it sets the midfield up for the next 5+ years but I’m sick of the bullshit that surrounds him.

I can offer an alternate point of view. Last year my daughter attended a kids training session at the Whitten Oval. And had a signing session after.
My daughter missed out in the initial opportunity due to Smith's popularity. As he was walking back to the rooms my wife asked politely for a signature and he stopped and signed her guernsey.
And posed for a quick photo when he didn't have to he had done his club expected obligations.
My daughter was stoked I heard about it for days. He may be gone but that is footy these days
Yeah Baz has been super generous with his time with my kids too. He's a really nice guy with zero w***er or ego vibes.

Hope we have sorted out the Garcia situation. Adds grunt around the stoppages. Good age and plenty of years of good football left. Really compliments a future midfield of Bont, Richards and Sanders. Just need one more A grade mid post Trelour and Libba retirement. It would be great to keep Baz as it sets the midfield up for the next 5+ years but I’m sick of the bullshit that surrounds him.

Amen to all of that. The circus around Smith is what annoys me most. The 'will he or won't he' stuff, I'm done with it and happy to get a first rounder and whatever else and move on.

The club is bigger than the individual and the past four weeks in particular have shown what happens when egos are parked at the door for the sake of the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back