Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Players very rarely play in the same year they do an ACL. The medical staff would have to sign off on it.

I've no particular interest in re-signing Smith. He's become a better player since he got injured, seemingly. Couldn't hit an elephant's arse with a bouzouki.
In fairness, hitting an elephant's arse with a bouzouki would be quite tricky I'd imagine.

I was referring to this article by Brad himself where his said his called and gotten “no repsonce”

I think we need to be a bit careful when using SEN news updates. I listened to Johnson on Wednesday night on SEN and took it as that he rang his connections at the club not Smith himself.
I don’t think the club would be too happy if Johnson reported players conversations directly to the public. After all he is essentially a football commentator first and a part time/ casual skills coach. That’s my take anyway.

With English I wouldn't go too crazy matching what the Eagles would offer purely because it would be stupid amounts of money. The big worry is his concussion history and that it takes him like two months to find form following a concussion.

If our offer and the Eagles offer were similar money with maybe a year difference then yeah, match it because we have sunk a lot of effort into his development. I'd look to maybe going 50-50 with Darcy next year and resting English forward.
I’ve been a big critic of Tim , but last night was first time he has ever been competitive against Gawn.
He was excellent all round, seemed to have real purpose and energy about everything he did.👍

English has played his best footy the last 4 games. Must keep now as the replacements are no good around the league
This is what I’m coming around to as well, there are seemingly no good alternatives on the market ever since Moyle re-signed. If Tim plays like he has the last 6 weeks or so more than happy to bump up our offer (within reason) to keep him

This is what I’m coming around to as well, there are seemingly no good alternatives on the market ever since Moyle re-signed. If Tim plays like he has the last 6 weeks or so more than happy to bump up our offer (within reason) to keep him
Yep ditto. If there's nobody even 70% as good we're better off keeping Timmy.
Of course it means we don't need to trade and pay overs for a plodder to replace him too

Tim was good but Gawn on one foot was by far their best player and won that battle imo. Ruckmen still tend to have a day out against Tim. But if he actually fronts up and doesn’t get completely steamrolled and hurts the other team with his own game then it can offset it. He had some exceptional bits of play last night with ball in hand that other ruckmen can’t pull off. If he’s doing that stuff most weeks then it makes up for getting worked over on the contested side of the game.

Based on where the compo pick is likely to land now, we’re far better off retaining English. I hope if it gets to that point that we match the offer and flush out whether the Eagles are prepared to make an offer we can’t refuse and, if not, we keep him.

Tim was good but Gawn on one foot was by far their best player and won that battle imo. Ruckmen still tend to have a day out against Tim. But if he actually fronts up and doesn’t get completely steamrolled and hurts the other team with his own game then it can offset it. He had some exceptional bits of play last night with ball in hand that other ruckmen can’t pull off. If he’s doing that stuff most weeks then it makes up for getting worked over on the contested side of the game.

Based on where the compo pick is likely to land now, we’re far better off retaining English. I hope if it gets to that point that we match the offer and flush out whether the Eagles are prepared to make an offer we can’t refuse and, if not, we keep him.

I thought pretty much the same re last night, especially in the first half. Gawn got the better of Tim in the ruck work, we didnt really man Rivers at the stoppages and Gawn seemed to find him easily at times. Tim did get Gawn around the ground and could of kicked 3, but that aspect has never been Tim's issue.

Having said all that Tim's been really good recently and needs to be kept. I'd be more inclined to offer more money rather than more years because of his concussion history.

He’s never going to be elite in the actual ruck contests, but as long he sort of breaks even and doesn’t get completely steam rolled his other stuff makes up for it

People still massively overrating hit outs. They are not the be all, end all like some think. Yes it helps having the ball in favorable spots, but given those who routinely get 50 hit outs, only a dozen go to advantage at best. Which means the vast majority of contests all comes down to the midfields ability to read.

Give me a tall mobile extra mid, who can go forward, take a mark and kick a goal. Who can drop back and intercept a ball to help out the defence. Who can take a mark in the middle or on the wing, and set up our defence to attack transitions. Who can actually take the ball and run with it himself. Who has the fitness and pace to cover the whole ground. Compared to some of out past rucks who dominate hit outs Campbell, Sweet, or some of the names people throw in as who we should target if English leaves. Slow, lumbering, lucky to get 10 possessions a game type rucks. Might as well be playing with 21 men post hit out.

The best rucks in the game are not because they win heaps of hit outs, its their ability to do stuff off the ball as well. Gawn and Cox, the two best rucks I have seen in my life time, actually impact on and off the ball, they were not just about hit outs. I would love English to get 50 hit outs himself, and do better at the ruck contest sure. But what is more damaging, 40 hit outs and struggling to find the ball, or getting 20 possessions covering all areas of the ground, with intercepts and goals?

Sure some are happy to see the back of English, as they are entitled to think. I just think those will come to realize after he is gone, the other stuff he does that almost no big men in the league replicate. We are blessed as to have very mobile, athletic and multi talented talls on our list. No other teams comes close to matching our spine and depth.

People still massively overrating hit outs. They are not the be all, end all like some think. Yes it helps having the ball in favorable spots, but given those who routinely get 50 hit outs, only a dozen go to advantage at best. Which means the vast majority of contests all comes down to the midfields ability to read.

Give me a tall mobile extra mid, who can go forward, take a mark and kick a goal. Who can drop back and intercept a ball to help out the defence. Who can take a mark in the middle or on the wing, and set up our defence to attack transitions. Who can actually take the ball and run with it himself. Who has the fitness and pace to cover the whole ground. Compared to some of out past rucks who dominate hit outs Campbell, Sweet, or some of the names people throw in as who we should target if English leaves. Slow, lumbering, lucky to get 10 possessions a game type rucks. Might as well be playing with 21 men post hit out.

The best rucks in the game are not because they win heaps of hit outs, its their ability to do stuff off the ball as well. Gawn and Cox, the two best rucks I have seen in my life time, actually impact on and off the ball, they were not just about hit outs. I would love English to get 50 hit outs himself, and do better at the ruck contest sure. But what is more damaging, 40 hit outs and struggling to find the ball, or getting 20 possessions covering all areas of the ground, with intercepts and goals?

Sure some are happy to see the back of English, as they are entitled to think. I just think those will come to realize after he is gone, the other stuff he does that almost no big men in the league replicate. We are blessed as to have very mobile, athletic and multi talented talls on our list. No other teams comes close to matching our spine and depth.

Agree that hit outs aren’t the be all and end all, although would prefer not to routinely get smashed in that regard.

Can’t speak for anyone else, but when I talk about English’s contested side that’s only part of it. For example, his CP numbers this year are down to about half of many of his peers, so we’re essentially playing an extra outside mid as an onballer.

It’s obviously not hurting us so far in the second half of the season, but in the first in half of the season it seemed to me at times we’d benefit from having a ruckman that was an inside mid rather than a wingman, as one of our four onballers. But if he plays his unique role really well and also does the aerial stuff he’s capable of then he certainly adds value to the side.

I’ve been a big critic of Tim , but last night was first time he has ever been competitive against Gawn.
He was excellent all round, seemed to have real purpose and energy about everything he did.👍
His body language certainly gives the impression he is invested in us and currently looks very happy.

English has played his best footy the last 4 games. Must keep now as the replacements are no good around the league

Got a deserved jab from Cooney for letting Gawn mark 20m in front while he watched on. And deservedly so.

Coons said "mate, you want a million bucks, you dont do that" :p

OTOH he seemed to have more of an emphasis on linkup run and carry against the dees, even though a couple of his disposals in the last quarter were too cute. Thats his real point of difference and he needs to double down on it - nobody on the opposition team mans up a ruckman unless they are a long kick downfield. Within 25m of the ball English is more than capable of taking part in a chain of fast, attacking play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was referring to this article by Brad himself where his said his called and gotten “no repsonce”

I'm not sure that it's entirely clear if Johnno called Bailey Smith or called someone else to find out about Bailey Smith though.

“To be completely honest, I didn't see him when I was (at the club) last week, and I made a couple calls today and haven’t had a response,” Johnson added.

The discussion around Tim is always interesting. I know it may be the optimist in me but I try not to judge Tim’s game based on how the opposition ruck has played because I know he’s rarely going to win that battle.

Last year was a poor year for the team but a massive year for Tim. This year he’s gone backwards a little but as a team we are as rounded as we’ve probably ever been under Bevo.

He plays his part and he plays it very well, he’s a tall player in the ruck, not a ruck. I want him to stay.

BM, I really appreciate your info, along with the other valuable posters with connections. Please don't take this as me criticising you or telling you not to post, because the place would be poorer without both your info and your own contributions, too. But some of the stuff that gets shared here makes me a little uncomfortable, to be honest.

I don't mind so much the 'will he stay will he go' updates, but it's this kinda stuff that's impossible to verify but speaks directly to a player or staff member's character that makes me feel a bit yuck. Frankly it feels like dangerous information to share, regardless of whether it's true and especially if it's not. Even the media have a line for the stuff they'll print and I feel like we push way past that line sometimes, and I'm not really sure we should.

I think ultimately I just don't fully understand what the benefit of this kinda info is. I've only been glancing at these threads here and there for months, but I've seen all kinds of stuff posted about various players, including bringing bikies into the club, allusions to drug use, tantrums, and other issues that are not really our business. What purpose does supporters knowing about these things (again, true or untrue) serve, other than to turn us against our own players, perhaps wrongly? I'm not sure knowing for knowing's sake really outweighs the possible damage these accusations could do to a player and a club.

By no means am I telling you or anybody else what to post. I guess I'm just giving my two cents and saying that I think those with info should keep this in mind. Some things are better not shared and I think it's important you're constantly assessing where that line is.

This sounds like chat GPT lol

So I’ve come around to English is must keep, at the right price. He’s never going to be the traditional ruckman some want but finding a replacement at this stage of the team’s development isn’t ideal and I’ve been really impressed with his response the past month. Hopefully he knew himself the Essendon game wasn’t acceptable.
His adjustment at centre bounces has been a welcomed improvement he has become a lot more competitive hence our improvement in centre clearances.

Tim ... had some exceptional bits of play last night with ball in hand that other ruckmen can’t pull off.
When was the last time a ruckman sprinted away from the pack bouncing the ball?

Ray Gabelich in the 1964 GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back