Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you rate Gags overhead. I don’t think we’ll appreciate how good Duryea is overhead and reading of the play as a small defender and how important that is until he’s done.

I actually wouldn’t mind Sanders playing a bit as a small defender if he could start his career like Matty Boyd finished his while we still have others taking most of the CBs.

Doc football smarts is one thing we will really miss.
His ability to do what is required, when it’s required and how, should not be underestimated.

Good club man also by all accounts

Wasn't he playing as a small forward?
He was, but his career then took off under Stewie Dew as a small defender.
He played 23 games last year, then only 2 games this year under Dimma.
He's not on the injury list, maybe change of coach has potentially made him redundant ala Bramble.

If he’s struggling for games in this years Suns team. He’s probably not going to be much of a Dureya replacement.
His footy career took off when he was moved from small fwd to small defender like Lobb.
He played 23 games last year for Stewie Dew then only 2 games this year under Dimma.
He's not on the injury list, maybe change of coach has potentially made him redundant ala Bramble.

Our key forwards and backs are ok for a few years, albeit we may need another key back via draft to develop sooner than later

If we are targeting positions I would go for speedy / ball carrying mids, small forward someone who can crumb so a little different to Weightman and also running half backs

This is on the basis Treloar has 2 years left, we will lose Smith, Sanders looks more an in and under type, JJ Duryea finish soon

Small forwards let’s face it VDM and McNeil aren’t brilliant and Clarke will be lucky to make it on what he has shown and still needs a contract for next year which isn’t certain, Bendendo will probably be delisted
The small fwds a thankless role in today’s footy. We have three key fwds that demand the ball and along with Cody. VDM and McNeil and never going to be big goal kickers but play an important role.
As for Clarke not showing much you mean in the seniors ?
In the vfl he averages 5 tackles a game 15 possessions and a goal and half a game roughly. What more are you expecting.
Example beau mcreery at pies not a high possession winner but creates great pressure.
Clarke is 20 with one pre season. These small fwds generally start coming on at 22-23. He needs to be persevered with even if it’s for a year. Personally I think he has improved on last year a fair bit and I think he is ahead of arty as a small fwd.
on arty seems to be getting up the ground more at times and I think that suits him. I’d love to see him at half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was sceptical when we got him but he was a superb acquisition.

True. And I think we have a pretty good strike rate on this front. Every club has its misses, but I think we have had excellent value from a lot of our trades/free agents. Bramble this year, for instance. And let's not forget Bullgods Joel Hamling and Shane Biggs!

True. And I think we have a pretty good strike rate on this front. Every club has its misses, but I think we have had excellent value from a lot of our trades/free agents. Bramble this year, for instance. And let's not forget Bullgods Joel Hamling and Shane Biggs!

Shane Biggs “never forget”

The small fwds a thankless role in today’s footy. We have three key fwds that demand the ball and along with Cody. VDM and McNeil and never going to be big goal kickers but play an important role.
As for Clarke not showing much you mean in the seniors ?
In the vfl he averages 5 tackles a game 15 possessions and a goal and half a game roughly. What more are you expecting.
Example beau mcreery at pies not a high possession winner but creates great pressure.
Clarke is 20 with one pre season. These small fwds generally start coming on at 22-23. He needs to be persevered with even if it’s for a year. Personally I think he has improved on last year a fair bit and I think he is ahead of arty as a small fwd.
on arty seems to be getting up the ground more at times and I think that suits him. I’d love to see him at half back.
Totally agree. Expecting young 18 and 19 year olds to be monstering big KPF with crunching tackles when weighing 30 kg less and being 10 yrs younger isn’t realistic. Takes a few years building strength and confidence to do that. Also takes time to get used to pace of seniors and expectations on how to play, often selflessly to create space for the KPF. It’s a very tough role. For anyone who watches vfl consistently you would know Clarke is doing well. I’d be shocked if he is let go. He’s a couple of years away from being an integral part of the forward line, but we must have patience.

if Poulter keeps up this form

it may change some plans for the Wing, he really provides that marking height and clean kicking
His hand passing is very accurate, he can kick long and accurately, gets into position and lays very good tackles. What’s not to like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back