Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree. Expecting young 18 and 19 year olds to be monstering big KPF with crunching tackles when weighing 30 kg less and being 10 yrs younger isn’t realistic. Takes a few years building strength and confidence to do that. Also takes time to get used to pace of seniors and expectations on how to play, often selflessly to create space for the KPF. It’s a very tough role. For anyone who watches vfl consistently you would know Clarke is doing well. I’d be shocked if he is let go. He’s a couple of years away from being an integral part of the forward line, but we must have patience.
Takes more than 1 preseason to develop the tank to the running required of a small forward at AFL Level. Believe he will get just requires some more time.

Mofra Ed Langdon off the table. Re-signed to 2028.

Totally agree. Expecting young 18 and 19 year olds to be monstering big KPF with crunching tackles when weighing 30 kg less and being 10 yrs younger isn’t realistic. Takes a few years building strength and confidence to do that. Also takes time to get used to pace of seniors and expectations on how to play, often selflessly to create space for the KPF. It’s a very tough role. For anyone who watches vfl consistently you would know Clarke is doing well. I’d be shocked if he is let go. He’s a couple of years away from being an integral part of the forward line, but we must have patience.
Spot on. Patience is key. As long as young players are improving and committed on and off field, patience is needed.

I actually think Macrae has faer more deficiencies than Daniel. Daniel is still creative with the ball in hand. Jacko is not creative by foot, his kicking is pretty poor for a topline mid.
I reckon he may be in demand from a couple of clubs. Caleb has been linked in a return to Adelaide, he would be a POD for them.
They've both been good servants and premiership heroes, I see no issue in them wanting a new environment. They are now surplus to our needs. We wouldn't get much back though, maybe a pick in 30s or 40s for each of them.
I think we’d get a bit more for Macrae. While his ideal role isn’t available with us right now, he wasn’t doing much wrong when picked.

A multiple All Australian mid who probably has 3 good years left & is under contract…I’d be wanting more than an end of 2nd/eariy 3rd round.

I just wonder whether Daniel & Macrae are waiting this out for a little bit. We’re fine on injuries for now, but there’s slightly older guys who could easily drop off as soon as next year and spots naturally open up otherwise.

The club might see both as required players for that reason. We’ll probably be contending for as long as those two are playing and their trade currency is never really going to suit us.

His footy career took off when he was moved from small fwd to small defender like Lobb.
He played 23 games last year for Stewie Dew then only 2 games this year under Dimma.
He's not on the injury list, maybe change of coach has potentially made him redundant ala Bramble.
I like the romance of another FS coming to us but he's not really like for like with Doc. A bit shorter and much more "ground ball". As a freebie FA he'd still be a decent addition to the list.

Mofra Ed Langdon off the table. Re-signed to 2028.
Cheers.
Between Truck and Poulter we might just be ok for wings next year anyway. I think Freijah will be ready for the role in 2026 but could surprise next year too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You only have to look towards the Dees for the perils of trading out your depth.

Traded out their depth due to those huge contracts they threw at Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw etc. then recruited more depth players like Hunter, Schache etc. and basically lost all their second string midfielders and now have to play guys like Salem through there.

Didn't make sense at all why they let guys like Jordon, Harmes go

if Poulter keeps up this form

it may change some plans for the Wing, he really provides that marking height and clean kicking
It's positioning that helps him most. Holds his width really well and that run forward/long goal seems to be a pre-planned play

Traded out their depth due to those huge contracts they threw at Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw etc. then recruited more depth players like Hunter, Schache etc. and basically lost all their second string midfielders and now have to play guys like Salem through there.

Clubs do it all the time. Never makes sense. They get rid of the experience and then have to get more experience elsewhere. Bit sideways for mine.

Cheers.
Between Truck and Poulter we might just be ok for wings next year anyway. I think Freijah will be ready for the role in 2026 but could surprise next year too

Wasnt Smokin Joel pretty high in our time trials even in his first year?

Or was that bedendo?

Still - 3km time trial and repeat sprints are a bit different.

Harmes wasn't let go, he was pushed out. Goodwin, Gawn and the leadership group decided that he was not a good bloke due to an off field matter, and off he went.

Wasnt Smokin Joel pretty high in our time trials even in his first year?

Or was that bedendo?

Still - 3km time trial and repeat sprints are a bit different.
Below are the top 10 results from the 2023 AFL Draft Combine testing.

2km time trial​

Tarkyn O’Leary (Sandringham Dragons/Parkdale Vultures) - 5 minutes, 48 seconds
Darcy Wilson (Murray Bushrangers/Wangaratta Rovers) - 5:52
Ethan Read (Gold Coast Suns Academy/Palm Beach Currumbin) - 5:56
Jordan Croft (Calder Cannons/Maribyrnong Park) - 6:05
Caiden Cleary (Sydney Swans Academy/Sydney University) - 6:06
Aiden O’Driscoll (Perth/Northam Saints) - 6:06
Archie Roberts (Sandringham Dragons/Hampton Rovers) - 6:08
Connor O’Sullivan (Murray Bushrangers/Albury) - 6:11
Joel Freijah (GWV Rebels/Horsham Saints) - 6:13
Harvey Johnston (Sandringham Dragons/Parkdale Vultures) - 6:17
Koltyn Tholstrup (Subiaco/Newtown Condingup) - 6:17

2km time trial​

That Jordan Croft time is still super super impressive. Like WOW!!!!

2km time trial​

We drafted 3 of the top 10. Looks like the coaches and recruiting team were on the same page.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back