Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were going to get anyone from the 2021 draft I'd be asking Geelong to include Mitch Knevitt in any deal for Geelong given how late their first rounder is likely to fall.

Rayner’s last 6 week has been like Petracca. Unreal. But the years before that not so much…
Petracca took a few years to embrace the work ethic that it takes to compete consistently at the highest level. Think Rayner is much the same as he isn't a natural endurance athlete it has taken that time to develop his tank to the required level to be a consistent threat.

Liam Ryan could be gettable..

Gets fit and he’s a weapon.
I love Flying Ryan. When up and going, he’s at taking the piss levels of good when it comes to pure football talent.

While he’s struggling to stay on the park, he’s at about the right age for us (27-28).

Although I understand others reservations, I’d take him in a heartbeat.

I like Isaac Cummings, will Phillips and Raynor and the best vfl ruck,

I think Phillips could play Duryeas role but more tagging defender

I love Flying Ryan. When up and going, he’s at taking the piss levels of good when it comes to pure football talent.

While he’s struggling to stay on the park, he’s at about the right age for us (27-28).

Although I understand others reservations, I’d take him in a heartbeat.
Who is he playing in front of?

Rhylee West and Cody Weightman this year will likely kick more goals in a season than Ryan ever has in a single season (and Weightman has only played 13 games). He applies less pressure than McNeil and only marginally more than Vandermeer, but he'd cost 2x what Vandermeer is being paid and the draft picks it'd cost to get a player like him out of West Coast would be way overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would we target a young Essendon mid to bring in Tsitas, Hobbs.

Should be ready to go compared to a first year mid.
No thank you.
We can't fit Sanders and Macrae into the side right now. We can draft and wait. Garcia cab take more CBA time too when spots free up

We don’t need forwards. There’s only so many goals you’re gonna kick in a game and Darcy, Naughton, Jamarra, Weightman and West will dominate the scoreboard for years to come. Maybe a small pressure forward on the cheap to keep VDM and McNeil accountable but that’s it.

As for mids, I think the cliff comes quicker then you think and there’s no telling how Treloar and Libba will front up next year. Another small burst mid to compliment our mix would go okay but I think we can find them in the draft instead of dumping salary cap into another player.

If we were to spend money, I think we need some wingers and small backs. Langdon was a shout here a few pages back. Think he’d be a great get. We also really need a strong Duryea replacement, I’m not sold on Coffield.

We need to keep drafting talent too before we lose out any draft position to tassie. You still have to have those elite youngsters coming through.

Aside from Docs position as a small defender, I only really see the current need for an elite midfielder. The small defender really needs to have experience, so not really someone you can draft. Another HBF might be a good option, as with JJ probably retiring & Richards being in the midfield; we do need someone there.

That is IF we retain English. Otherwise, ruck becomes the biggest need.

Our wings are keeping their width and playing really well. Our KPP stocks are the best I have ever seen. No need for a medium forward, we don’t have a spot for them. The sixth forward is usually a midfielder who starts forward and that role isn’t critical in our setup, as they play midfield most often. Bont is great at that role and Treloar is good too.

List is in a better spot than I thought. IF we trade out Daniel or Macrae, then we could draft for their roles but less likely to find someone elite with a late pick.

I would draft:
HBF
Back pocket
High ceiling midfielder

Trade for:
Back pocket

I think JJ will retire has had a lot of of tissue issues the last few seasons. He currently is the only ever Norm Smith medalist at the dogs. Heard Taylor Duryea on Sen on Saturday does not sound like he will retire if offered another contract. The others will be delistings or trades.

Last edited:
Didn't see Optimistic Dog's post above but I'll let mine on the same subject go ahead.

How do we see the future of JJ? He'll be 32 before the end of the year and is an UFA. His last three seasons have all been affected by injuries. Games played: 8 in 2022, 11 in 2023 and 9 this year. He may make a decision himself on whether to go on but would we consider a 1 year extension? Seems a very risky injury proposition going forward.

Didn't see Optimistic Dog's post above but I'll let mine on the same subject go ahead.

How do we see the future of JJ? He'll be 32 before the end of the year and is an UFA. His last three seasons have all been affected by injuries. Games played: 8 in 2022, 11 in 2023 and 9 this year. He may make a decision himself on whether to go on but would we consider a 1 year extension? Seems a very risky injury proposition going forward.
It wouldn't phase me at all if he stayed on, on a low contract, but if I had to choose I'd tap him on the shoulder I think.

I think he's had about four calf setbacks this year. I wonder if his body is telling him it's time.

I saw him in the coaches box at the VFL last Friday. So he is still very much involved and helping out at the club unlike a certain other injured bulldog. I guess we could give him a player/coach contract like we have done in the past with Stef Martin. That wouldn't bother me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back