Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Once Smith nominates he is gone, there is no dangling him to other clubs or anything, he’ll get where he wants.
Bit shit if the Hawks have turned his head with a monster dollars offer only to then trade out their main trade assets for Barrass. Disappointing if the relationship with Smith really has broken down as the simple 2 year deal to take him to FA on still decent money was such a clean fallback.

Needs to go and watch Easton Wood videos non stop.

Took a while for Easton to become what he was.
He doesn't have the pace to play an Easton sort of role.

I feel a bit for Buku, there’s clearly a good enough footballer deep down there (nice user, smart, generally good in the air etc) but he’s kind of in no man’s land as an AFL athlete.

A few inches too short & a touch light to be key position, while he’s too slow to play most of the other slots.

He’s in the wrong era.

Last edited:
Also hurts with the subsequent removal of third man up and then 6-6-6 because Bevo almost made the dinosaurs extinct.

If those didn’t happen we would be covering Tim’s limitations a hell of a lot better…though plenty of time has passed and it’s much of a muchness now. But we zigged and the afl zagged there.
No third man up has hurt us, especially when persevering with an English type as ruck. We’ve got the 190cm+ height across the field to consistently pull it off too (I reckon Poulter would do that role really well).

Still….Bevo and co have had what 7 years to find a tap ruck?

It's not about being nice you ****ing numbskull. It's about being principled. Bevo is a man of principles and I reckon his personality has lured more players to the club (Treloar, Lobb, Bramble have all quoted Bevo as the biggest selling point) than it has cost us.
Also, it might say a bit about the players who are easily wooed by Mitchell’s forwardness.

Barrass has been in the system a while, surely he (and his manager) thought it was a bit strange?

Give me Bevo’s principles over Mitchell’s any day of the week.
I think Hawthorn 2024 have a lot of Bulldogs 2015 about them. The idea of them adding Barrass, Battle, and Smith while we yet again miss out on all of our targets scares the shit out of me, TBH.
I think Hawthorn are more like the St Kilda of 2023, i.e. surprising everyone with a meh list and everything is just clicking.

They strike me as the team that every rival club goes to work on in the off-season and then they regress a bit as a result.

Hawks probably isn’t a good result for us anymore with barass in the picture . Eagles will push for 2 first rounders and probably settle for first and second rounder after some negotiations.

which probably leaves us with hawks future first and they look like they could be top 4 next year they way they are travelling.

It's not about being nice you ****ing numbskull. It's about being principled. Bevo is a man of principles and I reckon his personality has lured more players to the club (Treloar, Lobb, Bramble have all quoted Bevo as the biggest selling point) than it has cost us.
I get it but it would be nice to be able to use this major selling point for more than a week or two once many commitments have already been made

Hindsight and all, but assuming Smith and Daniel leave, that's a few misses for our "back ourselves in" strategy. I don't think anybody here had faith in Dunkley staying the year after the Essendon debacle, nor did the majority re: Smith, and I feel there were a lot of us that felt CD was likely to be pushed out when he would have been worth a first rounder.

Would love to see the club make ballsier, pre-emptive moves sometimes. Not always, of course, but the first rounder trade last year was the closest to it since 2014.
I see it a little in the opposite way - I'm glad we have the confidence to back ourselves in. Keeping Dunkley got us into a GF and we spent decades hoping to one day play in one.

Safety first.

2d274907927020-tdy-davidgif-150303.gif

I ready.

Kysaiah Pickett.
Would happily hand over whatever we get for Baz to land Pickett. Imagine him next to Cody at the feet of Naughton/Jamarra/Darcy

Who would you all want to grab from the Demon's going out of business sale?
Other then Hunter and Schache of course!
Left-field - Harrison Petty.

He's played forward out of necessity and he's just one step below bog-average there, but he's a very good KPD when left there. If we're chasing Barrass a KPD is on our mind and will Jones hold-up next year? The SA clubs had a good go at him last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit shit if the Hawks have turned his head with a monster dollars offer only to then trade out their main trade assets for Barrass. Disappointing if the relationship with Smith really has broken down as the simple 2 year deal to take him to FA on still decent money was such a clean fallback.
As much as I don’t think we’ll miss Baz I don’t blame him wanting to take deals worth $6m/5 years right now instead of a two years at $850k-$900k per tear.

Left-field - Harrison Petty.

He's played forward out of necessity and he's just one step below bog-average there, but he's a very good KPD when left there. If we're chasing Barrass a KPD is on our mind and will Jones hold-up next year? The SA clubs had a good go at him last year.
I'd have Petty firmly in the DH category.
The only Demon I'd want that I think they'd actually let go would be Chandler.
Otherwise I'd like Rivers, Mcvee and Howes.

Again.. Mark Robinson linked Dan Houston to Essendon.

He doesn't have the pace to play an Easton sort of role.

I feel a bit for Buku, there’s clearly a good enough footballer deep down there (nice user, smart, generally good in the air etc) but he’s kind of in no man’s land as an AFL athlete.

A kew inches too short & a touch light to be key position, while he’s too slow to play most of the other slots.

He’s in the wrong era.
Is there a good enough footballer?

Highly disagree with smarts never seen a footballer get caught in the wrong position more then him also disagree with good user as well he's finally worked out to do a Dale Morris and take the easy 20m kicks or long down the line for a reason.

He's 25 in March next year if there was a good footballer in there he would be significantly more advanced by now after 6 years in the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back