Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a good enough footballer?

Highly disagree with smarts never seen a footballer get caught in the wrong position more then him also disagree with good user as well he's finally worked out to do a Dale Morris and take the easy 20m kicks or long down the line for a reason.

He's 25 in March next year if there was a good footballer in there he would be significantly more advanced by now after 6 years in the system
Also prefers to ball watch instead of taking body contact in the air and holds his feet like a giraffe on ice

Tim English will be a Bulldog for the next five seasons.

The ruckman has pledged his long-term future to the Club, signing on until at least the end of the 2029 season, despite being eligible for free agency.

Finishing as the All Australian ruckman in 2023, English has enjoyed another strong season at Mission Whitten Oval, averaging 17 disposals and 28 hitouts a game and kicking 13 goals.
Originally from Western Australia, English was drafted at Pick 19 in the 2016 National Draft, immediately boasting elite athleticism and skills for a player of his size.

Recently turned 27, English has played 129 games for the Bulldogs, kicking 76 goals across his eight seasons at the Club.

“It’s exciting for Rudi and me – I love life in Melbourne,” English said.

“I am really enjoying it at the Club and I’ve got some great mates here – it’s my eighth season now and I’ve developed strong friendships over that time.

“There are so many different factors that go into a decision, but I really want to win a Premiership, that’s the ultimate goal for me at a football club.

“I feel like we have the opportunity to do that here and that would the best way to give back to the Club. As a group we’re capable and everyone is putting in the work to get better and achieve that.”

Western Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, was thrilled to secure English until 2029.

“Tim is such an important part of this football club and we’re so pleased he’s remaining at Mission Whitten Oval long term,” Power said.

“As the reigning All Australian ruckman, Tim has been critical in our Club’s strong performances throughout the year, regularly impacting games with his athleticism.

“His ability to get involved around the ground and use the ball as a ruckman has been a valuable asset to our side, underlining him as one of the most damaging big men in the competition.

“We still firmly believe Tim’s best football is ahead of him at 27, with a five-year extension highlighting his faith in our program, staff and players moving forward.”

I’m glad to hear that Tim has signed on for another 5 years. We have developed him over a lot of years and the next 5 should probably be his peak years so it’s good for the club to lock him up for this time. I still think he needs to be stronger in the ruck contest, but if he can just give the type of effort he gave when we played against Carlton, Geelong, Sydney and Melbourne then I would be happy. He doesn’t have to dominate the ruck hitouts but he can’t get smashed like he did against O’Brien and also against Sweet. He needs to give the effort like he did against Grundy.

Then his around the ground game becomes a huge advantage.

Anyway, glad to have big Chilli on for another 5 years and congratulations to him on securing a contract extension.

I’m glad to hear that Tim has signed on for another 5 years. We have developed him over a lot of years and the next 5 should probably be his peak years so it’s good for the club to lock him up for this time. I still think he needs to be stronger in the ruck contest, but if he can just give the type of effort he gave when we played against Carlton, Geelong, Sydney and Melbourne then I would be happy. He doesn’t have to dominate the ruck hitouts but he can’t get smashed like he did against O’Brien and also against Sweet. He needs to give the effort like he did against Grundy.

Then his around the ground game becomes a huge advantage.

Anyway, glad to have big Chilli on for another 5 years and congratulations to him on securing a contract extension.
Perhaps he was hampered by his ankle injury on the weekend

As much as I don’t think we’ll miss Baz I don’t blame him wanting to take deals worth $6m/5 years right now instead of a two years at $850k-$900k per tear.
Oh I completely agree and don’t blame him. My comment is more that it’s pretty poor form if the team turning his head with that offer then doesn’t have the trade capital to bring in a player on $1.2m per year.

Oh I completely agree and don’t blame him. My comment is more that it’s pretty poor form if the team turning his head with that offer then doesn’t have the trade capital to bring in a player on $1.2m per year.

see: Brisbane offering Dunkley the world and us some scraps

I'd have Petty firmly in the DH category.
The only Demon I'd want that I think they'd actually let go would be Chandler.
Otherwise I'd like Rivers, Mcvee and Howes.
Shocked it took this long for someone to mention Rivers. Surely he's untouchable though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently he hasn't been able to get his tank to a serviceable level, if I were the Pies I'd be developing him as an interceptor. I think he will be out of the Pies this year so wouldn't turn him down for a future 3rd or 4th.

If he's out then he's probably someone at least worth a look at seeing if we can develop him into another role on the cheap.

Remember before a ball was bounced this season and the rumours of Bailey Smith going to Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood abounded.

The order of preference in terms of trade capital went massive Hawthorn, daylight, Geelong, more daylight, Collingwood.

End of the year we'd much rather him go to the Pies, then daylight, then Hawthorn and Geelong.

It's a funny game.

Bruce's come out and explicitly stated that he saw the culture and Bevo as a coach as a good next step of his career when he wanted out at the Saints.

Also stated on a podcast that he immediately felt like he was finally in a real professionally run club (I’m paraphrasing from memory there).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remember before a ball was bounced this season and the rumours of Bailey Smith going to Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood abounded.

The order of preference in terms of trade capital went massive Hawthorn, daylight, Geelong, more daylight, Collingwood.

End of the year we'd much rather him go to the Pies, then daylight, then Hawthorn and Geelong.

It's a funny game.

Pies don’t have a first this year so still definitely not my preference.

Is there a good enough footballer?

Highly disagree with smarts never seen a footballer get caught in the wrong position more then him also disagree with good user as well he's finally worked out to do a Dale Morris and take the easy 20m kicks or long down the line for a reason.

He's 25 in March next year if there was a good footballer in there he would be significantly more advanced by now after 6 years in the system
Buku is a good enough footballer in a pure sense, I’m just not sure he’s made for AFL.

He’s a very good user by foot (knocking that area of his game makes me ask how often you’ve seen him play?)

His positioning is actually very good when allowed to intercept (isolated), he does that as well as anyone we’ve got (which we saw over the recent winning patch).

Buku’s knock is that he can’t defend a forward who has any sort of strength, especially when he’s taken deep.

Except this season is showing trajectory doesn't mean much!
People will go to work on Hawthorn and their game plan, older players will decline slightly and with that goes experience, nous and leadership.

I have always attributed the post 2016 dip to losing Picken (I think we'd barely lost with him in the team and lost to Freo the game he was concussed, that's when I think the rot set in) as well as Boyd (big leader in defence)

Next year will be difficult to predict but what is great is that we have a spine that is up there with the best of them

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back