Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We gave Sweet a fair go in my opinion. He played 11 games for us in 2021/2022 where we had both English and Stef Martin on the list. He isn't a bad player by any means but to say we would be better off if we had Sweet instead of English is just crazy.

Do not think those who wanted Sweet played (I was one) ever wanted him played instead of English.

They wanted Sweet played with English.

We will never know what Sweet in the ruck and English as a forward would look like and what it would mean in terms of what we would lose and gain in the ruck.

Does not matter now as Port seem happy they got him and Dogs seem they did the right thing by him and the club as he was not played.

Perhaps, more a utility than a player that can solely play onball?
Unless you’re a genuine A-grader, I think pure inside mids are slowly being phased out of the game. There’s such a huge emphasis on speed and versatility in today’s game. It’s why players like Lachie Sullivan and Dom Brew more recently have struggled to find a home at AFL level despite dominating at state level. Cooper Stevens falling as far as he did in last years draft is a great example.

I’m more than happy with the way that we’re going about it currently. Players like Baz, Macrae and even Sanders this year have struggled for consistent midfield minutes and CBAs, theres currently no room on the list for a fringe player, particularly who can’t contribute elsewhere on the ground.

Developing a young fringe player solely onball isn’t doing much for their development or longevity in a game that appears to be passing one dimensional players by.

When we look at our list and players who are outside of best 23 and potentially tradeable, I reckon Ryan Gardner has been forgotten.

With JOD and Khamis growth, Lobb's success down back, Buss re-signing and Croft still developing, Gardner is increasingly being shuffled down our pecking order

League wide there is a dearth of kpd role players with a number of clubs in serious need.

Contracted, I reckon a Sydney, Norf or StKilda cough up a 40ish pick for him.

Pretty good for Gards (more opportunity for a good clubman) and for us.

Sam Power currently has 2 fish and 3 loaves of bread on his desk.
(Memo to self: Insert picture of Bailey Smith as a fish before posting.)

He's going to turn them into Butters, Houston, Petracca and Barrass, without even blinking... and satiate thousands (would you believe "dozens"?) of BF Bulldogs posters! 😀

Bailey Smith has apparently had a medical at the Suns.

Don't have a source I can credit.

They are checking his tan and ability to tan along with his hair will go more blonde should he see more sunshine.

+1 Can confirm this.

Spoken to two different sources who say his recent trip to Gold Coast was to do a medical with the Suns.

Do not think those who wanted Sweet played (I was one) ever wanted him played instead of English.

They wanted Sweet played with English.

We will never know what Sweet in the ruck and English as a forward would look like and what it would mean in terms of what we would lose and gain in the ruck.

Does not matter now as Port seem happy they got him and Dogs seem they did the right thing by him and the club as he was not played.
This is another misconception.

English played several games forward at the end of the 2021 season after Bruce went down, with Stef Martin and Lewis Young rucking. He wasn't very good.
I very much disagree with this. We tried playing him forward for large stretches in large parts of the latter part of the 2021 season (to try and play a role after Bruce went down).

R22 vs. Hawthorn: 0 goals, 10 disposals, 10 hitouts, 2 contested marks, 1 mark inside 50
R23 vs. Port Adelaide: 2 goals, 1 hitout, 1 contested mark, 1 mark inside 50
EF vs. Essendon: 0 goals, 1 hitout, 15 hitouts, 0 contested marks, 1 mark inside 50
SF vs. Brisbane: 0 goals, 13 disposals, 22 hitouts, 0 contested marks, 0 marks inside 50 (this was the game that Young was having a stinker rucking in the 1st half so we basically returned to rucking English for the second half, helping us win, Martin comes in the next week)
PF vs. Port: 0 goals, 13 disposals, 11 hitouts, 0 marks inside 50, 0 contested marks.
GF: 0 goals, 13 disposals, 12 hitouts 1 contested mark, 1 mark inside 50.

Granted he won a few frees but he wasn't doing anything at all as a key forward to influence the game. At all. From memory he actually took a couple of those marks inside 50 when he was actually playing his 35% game time in the ruck or whatever.

More than 2 million bucks out of the cap for the four of them. Probably closer to 2.4 mil. Considering most will be replaced by draftees and no-name trades, we could easily afford, say, a Petracca, at least salary-cap wise. It sounds like next year is when we'll go shopping though.
Not that simple.

You have to remember probably a lot of that money has been spent on the English, JUH and Naughton new contracts that kick in next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now this is something I could get behind.

Would add a second rounder no worries if it got us pick 5.

QLD SEN linked Bailey Smith to Brisbane last week due to him hanging out with Dunkley and others. I didn't think it was worth posting.

This is another misconception.

English played several games forward at the end of the 2021 season after Bruce went down, with Stef Martin and Lewis Young rucking. He wasn't very good.

Small Sample

Given Bruce did his knee 3rd last game of the season not sure how many games and time Tim spent forward with Stef Martin and Lewis Young rucking

I recall and could be wrong that Martin did not play last 2 games of Home and Away season 2021 and only played PF and GF and Young was omitted for those games PF and GF

Even if they're not top 10/15 draft picks we should be hitting the draft hard in terms of potential future genuine onball midfielders.

Other than Sanders we barely have a player in the VFL younger than 23 who is on the precipice of getting picked in our AFL team and is developing as an onballer as part of our systems, even if we don't think they're going to be a star.

Not saying that we should expect a better player or a likely AFL contributor from a random pick 23 or whatever, just that, we need that type of player getting centre bounce minutes in the AFL that is in the 1st-4th year developing category.
Sanders, Gallagher, Garcia. Richards is young too. But agree that a developing mid should be on the draft cards if/when Baz leaves

Small Sample

Given Bruce did his knee 3rd last game of the season not sure how many games and time Tim spent forward with Stef Martin and Lewis Young rucking

I recall and could be wrong that Martin did not play last 2 games of Home and Away season 2021 and only played PF and GF and Young was omitted for those games PF and GF
I think the five-six games is enough of a sample size of woeful performance that English had when he was a non-factor to prove the point. E.g our narrow loss in R23 against Port where English did basically nothing as a key forward (0FF, 9 disposals, 2 goals fair but from 1 contested mark, which was not inside 50).

Our our 71-point thumping of Port where Martin returned to 1st ruck, but English somehow conspired not to take either a contested mark, mark inside 50 or kick a goal despite the fact we kicked 17 goals as a team and well, ran over the top fo them.

But keep in mind we have our priors that English isn't a forward and is a ruck. We're not going into English forward with an open mind that he could or couldn't be a good forward and thus we should judge him on the games and it's a small sample size, it's on the basis that English isn't a forward so he needs to play well to prove us that a change of position is justified. 5-6 games of poor play simply confirms our priors.

Smith and Gold Coast. Perfect match.

Flaunt Long Hair GIF by VPRO

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back