Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the five-six games is enough of a sample size of woeful performance that English had when he was a non-factor to prove the point. E.g our narrow loss in R23 against Port where English did basically nothing as a key forward (0FF, 9 disposals, 2 goals fair but from 1 contested mark, which was not inside 50).

Our our 71-point thumping of Port where Martin returned to 1st ruck, but English somehow conspired not to take either a contested mark, mark inside 50 or kick a goal despite the fact we kicked 17 goals as a team and well, ran over the top fo them.

But keep in mind we have our priors that English isn't a forward and is a ruck. We're not going into English forward with an open mind that he could or couldn't be a good forward and thus we should judge him on the games and it's a small sample size, it's on the basis that English isn't a forward so he needs to play well to prove us that a change of position is justified. 5-6 games of poor play simply confirms our priors.

Charlie Curnow averaged 10 disposals, 1 mark inside 50 and 1 goal across his three finals last year. Probably a bit harsh to judge him on that. I’d give some credit to English’s play as a forward during the H&A season that year.

I think the point is our alternatives at the time, once Bruce was out for a year, were pretty miserable. Zaine Cordy as a CHF/ruck in 2022 was an utter debacle, and why we chased Lobb so hard. I’m personally pretty confident rucking Sweet and playing English forward/ruck would have been better than what that Cordy CHF stint produced (I.e. almost nothing: 2 goals, 4 marks I50 and 3 contested marks in 7 (!) games forward). But that is 2-3 years in the past now.

It’s all a moot point because Darcy is twice the player English is so where we play Darcy will largely dictate where we play English. Hopefully that means English majority rucks and floats around the defensive half for the foreseeable future, while Darcy clunks marks and kicks goals for fun.

Just finished up a lunch with my usual source and came to post about Bailey. He has met with hardwick and already done a medical. A switch of preferences is well and truly on the cards. Tigers will not par with Rioli and Suns are desperate to bring in mature talent.
The Trade will get done in the first day if Bailey picks the suns

The Trade will get done in the first day if Bailey picks the suns

It may get done but will not be announced till last minute to maximise B Smith name been highlighted for max period

Just finished up a lunch with my usual source and came to post about Bailey. He has met with hardwick and already done a medical. A switch of preferences is well and truly on the cards. Tigers will not par with Rioli and Suns are desperate to bring in mature talent.

Geelong now...

Nervous Fetal Position GIF by Big Brother

Smith to Suns would give us a more accurate compensation for what he’s worth.

Package up what we get for him + next years 1st + Caleb (Neal-Bullens spot) for Petracca

Don’t @ me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith, our second rounder, Adelaide’s second rounder (tied to CD trade)

For

Suns pick 5

Who says no?

For

Suns pick 5

Who says no?
Probably us.

If he nominates the Suns then I'd be looking for pick 5 straight up. Gold Coast are desperate for a big fish and may be willing to pay a premium for Smith. They have our first rounder to work with as well so they may be more willing to let it go. It's slight overs for us but you look at the Cerra trade a few years ago so there's precedence.

For

Suns pick 5

Who says no?
I suspect we would ask for pick 5 straight up and the Suns ask for our first in return for possibly a future first. It would probably land somewhere like what you've suggested here I'd imagine.

I suspect we would ask for pick 5 straight up and the Suns ask for our first in return for possibly a future first. It would probably land somewhere like what you've suggested here I'd imagine.

Fair enough. What I suggested is probably too much from our end.

I’d be stoked with Baz and our second for pick 5, considering the nature of this year’s draft being so even for the first 10. Not to mention they are mostly midfielders which we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back