Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We never buy low.

Rachele said Port fans have a lower density of teeth to their cross town rivals, hardly the end of the world. We were looking at Stengle for christ’s sake. I’d be all over Josh, would all but complete our attack!
I don't think there would be any queries with us wanting him, just that it would cost a fortune.

Contracted until 2029 and we don't even have a first rounder at the moment.

I don't think there would be any queries with us wanting him, just that it would cost a fortune.

Contracted until 2029 and we don't even have a first rounder at the moment.

Maybe if I make a woof account and start a rumour that will get the ball rolling in our favour

We also had the opportunity to sign Barry Hall from the Swans a year earlier than we did but the Swans wanted our first rounder (pick 13). We wanted to keep our first round pick for our father-son draftee, Ayce Cordy.

I'm guessing there's probably been more than just me on this board who has thought from time to time; what might have we been able to do with Baz in 2009?

Zac Dawson was St Kilda's full back, just saying.

Then its best not to think about what we did with pick 11 in the 2006 draft or who was available 2 picks later...

The only reason he'd leave would be for more midfield time in my opinion and that isn't what I think suits him.
He’s just been dropped, had a pretty rough time with media over there and might feel like coming home? Will be scope for midfield minutes when Treloar / Libba retire.

We also had the opportunity to sign Barry Hall from the Swans a year earlier than we did but the Swans wanted our first rounder (pick 13). We wanted to keep our first round pick for our father-son draftee, Ayce Cordy.

I'm guessing there's probably been more than just me on this board who has thought from time to time; what might have we been able to do with Baz in 2009?

Zac Dawson was St Kilda's full back, just saying.
Agreed what might have been for 2009 but you don't give up a pick in the teens for a player that only had 3 years left, and Cordy was still a big discount at the time (he was rated 5-10 in an open draft).

It was the right move with the knowledge we had at the time, even if the outcomes may have been different.

He’s being omitted this week, I don’t think he & the club are on the best of terms.

A little bit of buyer beware involved, but the price of a trade could become pretty fair considering his contract.

I feel he only said what all of us think about fans in Adelaide

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

He’s just been dropped, had a pretty rough time with media over there and might feel like coming home? Will be scope for midfield minutes when Treloar / Libba retire.

Imagine Rachelle playing instead of Vanders or McNeil. We’d have no weak links (once Buss replaces Buku).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t trade Smith straight up for Rachelle. A lot of underrating of Smith going on in here and the footy media

We’ve got no leverage to extract fair price. Will end up with late first. Should have moved him out last year when contracted (we might have had Watson in the hoops if we did).

I think I've seen a few posts mention Rayner as a potential target as a pre-agent.

Can someone explain why we'd try to pry Rainer out a year before Free Agency?

If he's happy to come to us this year, then surely he'd be ok with selecting us next year, as long the wages/terms were still up there?

I know it introduces risk of losing him to a change of mind or someone trumping our offer in the next 12 months - but those risks could be counter-balanced by risks of a massive loss of form or a long term injury bringing any contract offer down.

Making the assumption that everything remains equal and he'd be happy to move across to us next year, surely possibly swapping a first rounder (+ who knows what) to get him this year rather than next (for zero cost in trade capital) is silly?

How is essentially swapping, say, a first rounder for one extra year of his contributions, good business?
My take would be that the acquisition of a quality and seasoned midfielder is a higher priority than drafting one this year.

The reason(s) being that our forward line is primed, if not now, then certainly next year, to take advantage of quality delivery/supply. Additionally, because of the age of both Treloar and Libba, I think it's inevitable that one or both will affected by injury or decline next season. IMO quality and seasoned cover is required to maintain the quality of supply over a quality but very young and physically developing mid. But not just cover, a first choice player who will make our midfield even more potent alongside prime Bont and Richards.

Butters is my first choice but I'm realistic enough to know that that's a tall order given his standing at Port and also being contracted. One can hope though.

I'd consider Rainer if he was available and compatible character wise and would be prepared to pay.

My take would be that the acquisition of a quality and seasoned midfielder is a higher priority than drafting one this year.

The reason(s) being that our forward line is primed, if not now, then certainly next year, to take advantage of quality delivery/supply. Additionally, because of the age of both Treloar and Libba, I think it's inevitable that one or both will affected by injury or decline next season. IMO quality and seasoned cover is required to maintain the quality of supply over a quality but very young and physically developing mid. But not just cover, a first choice player who will make our midfield even more potent alongside prime Bont and Richards.

Butters is my first choice but I'm realistic enough to know that that's a tall order given his standing at Port and also being contracted. One can hope though.

I'd consider Rainer if he was available and compatible character wise and would be prepared to pay.
Hypothetical, if you could have Rayner at the end of this year or Butters at the end of next year who do you take?

Hypothetical, if you could have Rayner at the end of this year or Butters at the end of next year who do you take?
Hypothetically, could I have Rayner this year and Butters next year?

The answer the or hypothesis may depend on whether we win this year.

My general feeling is that we've never been a better chance to persuade a top echelon mid to come on over. Peak Bont and a forward line that you don't have to be rocket surgeon to see is on the verge of ripping the comp a new one. I could play with Bont and kick to that? Where do I sign?

Last edited:
I'm delighted to inform everyone that JUH's supposed family member, who has been reliably informing bomberblitz since 2020 that JUH is desperate to be at Essendon and will get there ASAP, is still going as of July 28

View attachment 2087052

Was there anything else posted about this, did anyone turn up to the car park?

We have every right to demand Smith’s worth.
Sure, and they have a right to baulk and say he's an out of contract risk on his way back from an ACL. We have very little leverage. Holding Power accountable to the extent that his job is on the line if he doesn't extract market value from an out of contract player is absurd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back