Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Buss is going to surprise a few with how ready he is next year. A genuine full back that you also want the ball in his hands = gold.

JOD is great. Croft developing. Khamis, Coff and Williams can all play 3rd if needed. Another developing KPD makes sense but it's not bad. Gards too if really needed
This is where I’m lost with people wanting another quality developing KPD.

Jones
Lobb
JOD
Buss
Croft
Gardiner was serviceable and has to be one of the best break glass in case of plan D being activated in the league.

I get Jones age, Lobb is still not a guarantee and Buss and Croft untied but the youngest two are first rounders and a better than even chance to get there. Why throw more resources into an area we’ve invested 2 first rounders in as many years? Take another KPD and we’ll end up simply developing one to get poached by another side.

For the sake of the children won’t someone look to our wings??

This is where I’m lost with people wanting another quality developing KPD.

Jones
Lobb
JOD
Buss
Croft
Gardiner was serviceable and has to be one of the best break glass in case of plan D being activated in the league.

I get Jones age, Lobb is still not a guarantee and Buss and Croft untied but the youngest two are first rounders and a better than even chance to get there. Why throw more resources into an area we’ve invested 2 first rounders in as many years? Take another KPD and we’ll end up simply developing one to get poached by another side.

For the sake of the children won’t someone look to our wings??
I agree. It's better to wait and see. Next year there is a bunch of key players coming out of contract including Mac Andrew and Balta. Jones may not go around again and JOD has a concussion history so any serious hits out there and he may have to hang them up. That leaves Lobb, Buss, Coffield & Gardner with Croft developing. Potentially Khamis too if he doesn't leave. Still a lot of KPDs but bringing in someone at the end 2025 considering how injury prone coffield and gardner are would be the way to go.

I think any club that offers big money and 6 year deal for Smith coming off and ACL is crazy. He may get back to 2021 form and there is a big chance he will not. If Sam can get pick around 5 to 8 I would be taken it
Can't help wondering if all the Baz multiple huge offers talk all year has just been smoke & mirrors, actually.

"We'll talk to anyone offering 6+ years", suggests to me that there's nothing concrete being offered by any club other than the 2 years from us.

Could his manager now be getting a bit desperate, trying to make something happen?

Would be amusing if that was the case.

Can't help wondering if all the Baz multiple huge offers talk all year has just been smoke & mirrors, actually.

"We'll talk to anyone offering 6+ years", suggests to me that there's nothing concrete being offered by any club other than the 2 years from us.

Could his manager now be getting a bit desperate, trying to make something happen?

I’ve been wondering the same thing the whole year. Still seems to be a lot of fishing going on for a guy that’s been out the door twice on big money (Hawks and Cats).

List-wise, the Hawthorn deal never made sense (they need talls), but maybe their offer was always there until they came good and now that cash is going on Barrass and Battle? We didn’t hear much on Smith and Hawthorn once they showed they weren’t bottom four/six.

The knee problem must be a minus. He’s yet to show he can return to his best. Many do, but some don’t.

You’d think Baz would want a short contract to back himself in to get back to his best a command a bigger contract. Perhaps once he sees he won’t be getting what he is after, he may consider our contract again and do just that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d think Baz would want a short contract to back himself in to get back to his best a command a bigger contract. Perhaps once he sees he won’t be getting what he is after, he may consider our contract again and do just that.

Of course.

In saying that, if he was being offered 6 years x $1 million at Geelong compared to say 2 years x $800k from us (as rumoured), why would he stay with us? It's an incredible difference and one that would suggest we're comfortable with him leaving.

The equation is a little different for Baz imo. The difference between a $1M contract now and the chance to get a few hundred k more in a couple years pales into insignificance compared to the money that he can and will earn because of his 'brand' through endorsements etc. That's the real money maker for him, and his best shot at continuing to build that is to stay in the spotlight as an AFL footballer for as long as possible. Coming off an ACL, if he struggles to find his form again he could be effectively out of the league in two years.

For Baz specifically it's a no brainer to take a long-term contract at exceptional money. There's no need for him to take the risk involved in a 2yr deal.

Buku l thought was a one yr deal.

Any itk news where this is positioned for an extension ?
I think he'll have a few clubs sniffing around. I'd love to keep him as depth but I'd be hoping that JOD & Buss would be clearly ahead of him for that 2nd & 3rd KPD roles next season. He has some pretty big weaknesses in his game that I don't think will improve at this point of his career.

There would be a few clubs willing to give him a longer term contract with more senior security.

Exactly.

Would not be a surprise to find the whole Baz-to-wherever(s) saga has been a manager driven media beat-up :sunglasses:

I reckon he's a freak. I'd play him at CHB but and just let him roam almost like Lever for melbourne
For 1.5m, that's OK 👍 if the AFL didn't have a salary cap.

1.5 That's Bonts cap hold.
Resume has to top 3-5 in the AFL, competing for a AA or Brownlow every year.

For 1.5m, that's OK 👍 if the AFL didn't have a salary cap.

1.5 That's Bonts cap hold.
Resume has to top 3-5 in the AFL, competing for a AA or Brownlow every year.
Completely agree although 1.5 in 4 years could be different again if the cap continues to rise. But agree it's insane money for him in current market. Is going to be a very good player however

On midweek tackle;

• John Ralph spoke to Ed Richards in the past day. Ed is keen to re-sign sooner rather than later, avoiding the free agency circus,
  • Taylor Duryea is happy with negotiations, expects to sign an 8th consecutive 1 year contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back