Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

On midweek tackle;

• John Ralph spoke to Ed Richards in the past day. Ed is keen to re-sign sooner rather than later, avoiding the free agency circus,
  • Taylor Duryea is happy with negotiations, expects to sign an 8th consecutive 1 year contract

Good news on both fronts, Richards has been a revelation and Duryea is Mr. Reliable in defence again.

Good to have guys like Duryea around. Experience, leadership, professionalism, no nonsense. I assume he would be well respected because of these attributes, which makes keeping him easier than it would otherwise be if judging him on football ability alone.
Been terrific in the back half of this season too.

Providing younger guys haven’t definitely moved past them, we should never be in a hurry to move on players like Duryea.

They don’t break the bank and replacing small defenders isn’t always straight forward.

Experienced senior body who is a good user and really suits the Bevo press.

Easily warrants another year on the list.

Been terrific in the back half of this season too.

Providing younger guys haven’t definitely moved past them, we should never be in a hurry to move on players like Duryea.

They don’t break the bank and replacing small defenders isn’t always straight forward.

Experienced senior body who is a good user and really suits the Bevo press.

Easily warrants another year on the list.
Have to admit I was never a fan when he was at Hawthorn, but he's been one of my favourites since coming over.

He's been fantastic for us.

Have to admit I was never a fan when he was at Hawthorn, but he's been one of my favourites since coming over.

He's been fantastic for us.
His toughness is seriously underrated.

Seemed more of an outside operator at the Hawks, although a lot of those Clarko left footers looked the same there for a while.

Completely agree although 1.5 in 4 years could be different again if the cap continues to rise. But agree it's insane money for him in current market. Is going to be a very good player however
Honestly I hate that the cap has gone up so much while still having to endure all the gambling advertising. Football overall would be so much better if the cap went up 20% instead of 40% but we weren’t inundated with Sportsbet.

Freo supporter here. Good luck for the Hawks game. Im just wondering what you thought the trade value would be for Riley Garcia? Ive heard reports both WA teams are interested if he was to leave. Im not saying he will.
He hasn't signed yet, although last I heard we were in early talks with him about staying on.

Second rounder, something like 30-45 probably.

I think he looks like he's one good preseason away from exploding on the competition. I'd love him at Freo and we have the Saints second rounder to trade.
I wouldn't fault him for leaving, a bit like Lippa, in and out of the side and can't lock down a spot behind Bont, Libba and Treloar - most certainly not a standing midfielder for us although if he waited another year or so we'll have those spots open up once Libba / Treloar retires.

I think he looks like he's one good preseason away from exploding on the competition. I'd love him at Freo and we have the Saints second rounder to trade.
I think the Saints 2R (currently pick 27 but probably slips to 30) in a deep draft is overs if he wants to go being out of contract and not best 22. I think a pick in the 40-50 range would get it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Saints 2R (currently pick 27 but probably slips to 30) in a deep draft is overs if he wants to go being out of contract and not best 22. I think a pick in the 40-50 range would get it done.

Probably right. Lipinski was pick 43, guys like Harmes/Hunter/Billings/Acres have been traded for future 3R picks in the past couple of years. Thats probably the ball park we’d be looking at if he wants to leave. I really like Garcia but would be surprised if he would be worth more than Lipinski who had showed more at AFL level.

I find it really odd that when players are tossed around by the media and managers that we are never mentioned as having interest. Maybe Barrass is an exception. Even St Kilda, North and Richmond get more love than us.
That tells me that:
1 we aren’t considered a destination club. Unlikely.
Or
2 We are watertight in club business. We certainly aren’t active media players, which I like. And we give the media absolute donuts since Bevos blowups.

I find it really odd that when players are tossed around by the media and managers that we are never mentioned as having interest. Maybe Barrass is an exception. Even St Kilda, North and Richmond get more love than us.
That tells me that:
Or
2 We are watertight in club business. We certainly aren’t active media players, which I like. And we give the media absolute donuts since Bevos blowups.
We don’t leak much. Which is good even though it means we supporters are also in the dark.

So the germos don’t have much gossip about us. I suspect the leaks we do get come from outside the club (eg that we were into Bramble).

We still do ok out of off-season moves so I’m not worried.

Good to have guys like Duryea around. Experience, leadership, professionalism, no nonsense. I assume he would be well respected because of these attributes, which makes keeping him easier than it would otherwise be if judging him on football ability alone.
Is he in the leadership group? Nevertheless I’ve heard he provides great leadership for the defenders.

That tells me that:
Or

We play things pretty close to our chests. It means that there aren't leaks but also there's no news about us chasing a player unless player management leaks it.

While I’ve dropped off him a little bit (was arguably his biggest fan), Garcia is one of them players that’s worth a lot more to us right now than any other side (and the meh draft pick that we’d get for him).

He’s in that right age bracket for us (23-26), especially for a list that’s isn’t all that well balanced age-wise and he’s shown enough good traits to suggests he can make it.

I’d be filthy if we let him go for pick 40 or whatever.

Players like Duryea and LJones are not just fantastic for the team now, but invaluable for the future development of our next batch of defenders in building good work habits.
I don’t know Carlton’s Weitering much, but when being interviewed on the AA night, he paid credit to Jonesy for helping him learn to be a defender. Nice of him I thought, also mentioned Jonesy is playing his first final.

Weird with Doc, he looked absolutely cooked in 2023 but hasn’t done much wrong this season.

We definitely need him, although at this stage of his career a rapid decline in 2025 is possible and we should be thinking about how we’re going to replace him. Not sure the ideal replacement is currently on our list unless Cleary improves a lot between now and next season.

Ed is a star mid of the comp, nobody else has that leg speed with the ability to hit targets at the rate he does by foot. And is hitting the scoreboard which is gold. Not surprised that contract is being looked at already. Makes sense for both parties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back