Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I know delisted players from other clubs leave this board with a sour taste but Darcy Macpherson just got let go by GC. He is a capable 3 zone player. My only reservation would be the fact he is so similar to a guy like McNeil if played up front.

Darcy can definitely play back though so may be an option as a DFA for a back pocket type.

I know delisted players from other clubs leave this board with a sour taste but Darcy Macpherson just got let go by GC. He is a capable 3 zone player. My only reservation would be the fact he is so similar to a guy like McNeil if played up front.

Darcy can definitely play back though so may be an option as a DFA for a back pocket type.
I don't have an issue with delisted players necessarily, but Hardwick has a pretty good record with tough, small players without great skill. I'd be inclined to back his call that he's probably not up to the level.

Darcy MacPherson is now a delisted Free Agent

Would be a nice small defender option

Good Minds think a like haha

After Jones, Bramble, Poulter and Baker have all been (to varying degrees) successes, I reckon most would back in our talent spotters to take a punt on a DFA.

Reckon Macpherson's best shot would be as a lockdown defender. With Duryea getting on, makes sense as a low risk punt.

Weird with Doc, he looked absolutely cooked in 2023 but hasn’t done much wrong this season.

We definitely need him, although at this stage of his career a rapid decline in 2025 is possible and we should be thinking about how we’re going to replace him. Not sure the ideal replacement is currently on our list unless Cleary improves a lot between now and next season.

Ed is a star mid of the comp, nobody else has that leg speed with the ability to hit targets at the rate he does by foot. And is hitting the scoreboard which is gold. Not surprised that contract is being looked at already. Makes sense for both parties.

Had his first baby in 2023. Probably was cooked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

After Jones, Bramble, Poulter and Baker have all been (to varying degrees) successes, I reckon most would back in our talent spotters to take a punt on a DFA.

Reckon Macpherson's best shot would be as a lockdown defender. With Duryea getting on, makes sense as a low risk punt.

Im the complete opposite. Players get delisted for a reason, and Bramble is the surprising exception. Poulter and Baker have gone much as Id expect - fringe in and out of the team and I wouldnt be surprised if they were delisted in 2-3 years, although Poulter has youth on his side

Id much rather turn over new draftees than sift thru someone elses discards.

We've had great success with DFAs recently. Gardner has been pretty handy as mature KPP backup, Poulter looks handy, and Bramble has been a revelation. I've been watching some of our recent games - what a great pickup.

It's so easy to treat these guys as whipping boys or be concerned when they get an extra year on a contract, but as far as recruiting mature depth that fill a need we've done really well lately.

Absolutely back our recruiting team to find another gem of a role player.

Im the complete opposite. Players get delisted for a reason, and Bramble is the surprising exception. Poulter and Baker have gone much as Id expect - fringe in and out of the team and I wouldnt be surprised if they were delisted in 2-3 years, although Poulter has youth on his side

Id much rather turn over new draftees than sift thru someone elses discards.
Hamling?
Sam Collins?

Every year there are players who kick on. I don't think we can rule out a role player in a position of need just because they've previously been in the system. Massimo couldn't get a game for the Bombers last year and just made the AA squad

This is where I’m lost with people wanting another quality developing KPD.

Jones
Lobb
JOD
Buss
Croft
Gardiner was serviceable and has to be one of the best break glass in case of plan D being activated in the league.

I get Jones age, Lobb is still not a guarantee and Buss and Croft untied but the youngest two are first rounders and a better than even chance to get there. Why throw more resources into an area we’ve invested 2 first rounders in as many years? Take another KPD and we’ll end up simply developing one to get poached by another side.

For the sake of the children won’t someone look to our wings??
Please sir, may I have some wings?

Wings? How can you have any wings if you don’t have your back up KPDs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamling?
Sam Collins?

Every year there are players who kick on. I don't think we can rule out a role player in a position of need just because they've previously been in the system. Massimo couldn't get a game for the Bombers last year and just made the AA squad

Sure there are exceptions, but its a numbers game. Probability favours finding good quality players from young draftees than delisted older players.

Think about the many players we have delisted who have gone on to clog up the lists of other clubs who have punted on them - I would say close enough to 100% miss rate

I feel like taking mature delisted players is a bit of a last ditch show of desperation - badly needing someone immediately in a particular role. But not having the currency to trade for a proven good one.

its no coincidence we picked up two wingers from the delisted bucket recently.

I kind of hope we are past that kind of - "need someone right now" situation with our list management

Last edited:
Harry Morrison.

I understand trepidations with DFAs. But the thing about guys like MacPherson and even our own DFAs in Baker, Poulter, Bramble etc is clubs in contention don’t want the bottom end of their list filled with 18 year olds that aren’t able to compete if needed.

We can pay the above guys 150k a year and know that they can come in and be an okay 18-23 ranked player in the squad and fill a hole short term. Best case scenario they kick on like Bramble. Worst case they do one or two years and get delisted.

Developing 3-4 18yr old draftees still happens most years but we can’t top up with that age group too heavily or you gut your list of playable depth.

Had his first baby in 2023. Probably was cooked.

He said in an interview the baby was a horrible sleeper, he went most of the year without getting a decent nights sleep.
The baby has settled down now and Duryea is back playing well again.

He said in an interview the baby was a horrible sleeper, he went most of the year without getting a decent nights sleep.
The baby has settled down now and Duryea is back playing well again.

It’s a part of life that doesn’t get the credit it deserves in terms of the impact on the players who are human like the rest of us. Our second has been a poor sleeper and it wipes you out.

Darcy McPhersons best year was in the midfield as a defensive mid. He was pushed out of the midfield once Rowell was fit. Then he was move around the ground and had a ok year as a defender. Just entered his prime years. But Dogs list will be tight this year.

Nathan O’Driscoll still unsigned despite three extensions announced by Freo today.
I wouldn't read too much into that. All of the players announced have finished for the year as they aren't eligible to play for Peel. NOD's still playing forPeel and probably they'll announce hims resigning if he hwas once Peel finishes up,

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back