Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re not bringing in another ruck 😂 we literally just signed Tim to 5 years and have a backup ruck in the forward line and a backup ruck in the backline. Our team cannot sustain another that tall on field. You’re all going off half cocked on emotion.

We need higher quality role players. McNeil, VDM, Harmes were all really poor. So was Gallagher.

Harvey has age on his side. The other three don’t have anywhere as much scope for improvement and are probably capped at their development. Good value pieces like Peatling in the trade market and a couple of clones of guys similar to Caleb Windsor or Darcy Wilson in the draft for our spread will change the dynamic on field hugely.

Treloar was still injured very clearly because he had zero burst from stoppage and Bont was so uncharacteristically shit at times he must have had an issue. I’ve never seen him fumble, drop marks or miss kicks that much in his entire career.

Naughton did ok, our best forward and best ruck, not sure if JUH was actually out there, but that is business as usual for him
Being outmarked and out bodied by bloody Scrimshaw is a disgrace. And the one shot he has he shanks. JUH has all the tools except the main one and it appears to be the one between the ears.

Just doesn't appear to have the required competitive drive to be a consistent threat. When things don't run his way is happy to coast.

Would love a backline intercepting general, in the mould of E.Wood, Stewart or Sicily with high football IQ.

We just don’t have one on our list. Khamis, Coffield, JOD are either to injury prone, inexperienced or low footy IQ.

Caleb Daniel and whatever we get for Bailey Smith.

Butters would totally change the dynamic of our midfield.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Trouble as always is how do we convince quality players that we are a destination worth coming too. Mitchell sells it straight out that they are hunting flags, question is are we? Or are we content with finals appearances to appear relevant but are only really just making up the numbers

Not that concerned about English and his well documented deficiencies. Darcy is a lot stronger in the ruck and after another preseason I think we just rotate then more heavily when an opposition ruck is getting on top.
WTF was Naughton doing in the Ruck? Couldn't believe in an EF this is where we got too with presumably no injuries. Just a broken group by that stage.

Three Big things going into this off season

Speed- our midfield needs some extra pace on the wings to cover our slower inside mids

Pressure- our forward pressure hasn't been that strong all year, hopefully a player like Arty Jones can fill in that role a bit

Key Back- Dogs still need a mature key defender so Lobb and Jones can play the sweeper role
Too many times last night, they could caught in 1v1 and were unable to break free

WTF was Naughton doing in the Ruck? Couldn't believe in an EF this is where we got too with presumably no injuries. Just a broken group by that stage.

I suppose he thought, mids are losing anyway. Might as well try this.

Three Big things going into this off season

Speed- our midfield needs some extra pace on the wings to cover our slower inside mids

Pressure- our forward pressure hasn't been that strong all year, hopefully a player like Arty Jones can fill in that role a bit

Key Back- Dogs still need a mature key defender so Lobb and Jones can play the sweeper role
Too many times last night, they could caught in 1v1 and were unable to break free
With another solid preseason I hope that Busslinger can come in and play a solid defensive role. And when the opportunity presents use his foot skills going the other way. Having missed on Barass don't see too many Key back options available

We need someone to fly the flag. It’s been needed for ages. We have way more talent now than in 2016. What we don’t have is heart, soul and toughness. Guys like Picken, Morris and Clay Smith. The Mighty Ducks had the bash brothers. We need something.

And speed. Oh lord we’re so slow.
Zak Butters.

I'm gonna manifest this trade into existence.

We really missed Rhylee West out there yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were times last night I was kinda hoping someone would just lay a good hard -bordering on illegal- tackle on Ginni and Watson. But no one wanted to fly the flag last night while they were laughing in our face.
I was hoping similar. Would have loved to have seen a run down chase and tackle, and would have loved even more a push back down when they tried to stand up. We should have had a “take no shit” approach but instead we took all of their shit.

With another solid preseason I hope that Busslinger can come in and play a solid defensive role. And when the opportunity presents use his foot skills going the other way. Having missed on Barass don't see too many Key back options available.

Barrass is way overrated anyway. When you watch Weagles games you can see how much McGovern covers for him and carries the defence.

Barrass is way overrated anyway. When you watch Weagles games you can see how much McGovern covers for him and carries the defence.
Similar to how Jones carries our defence cause he was run freely due to other defenders doing their job

Have to move English out of the ruck now. Play him forward and make him a rich man’s Todd Marshall. Or trade him, my preferred option but he just signed on.

VDM and McNeil filled a role this year in the absence of competition. But they are extremely limited players with skills that are well below standard.

AJ only came good at the end, Clarke meh, O’Driscoll retired.

Upgrading those two positions to at least average players is crucial. McNeil and VDM will do what they’re told and are good, quick runners but will most likely cause a breakdown in any chain they are involved in. For their positions they also registered alarmingly few goals between them.

Power has to find a way to optimise those spots. We may get something out of AJ next season but I wouldn’t rely on it, and Clarke may not even be on the list.

Couldn’t agree more with both but VDM as a small forward kicking 2 goals in his last 12 games and 10 goals in 24 games for the year isn’t good enough. The argument is he is a defensive forward and not there to kick goals ?

well how did that go last night when they both matched up on Sisily and he took us to the cleaners

Either they are not up to AFL level or the coaches are making repeating errors playing him.

McNeil similar 6 goals in 12 games

then again Weightmans end to the season had minimal impact but overall averaged 1.6 goals a game for season so overall a good season and West 1.2 goals a game

It is a position we cannot go into 2025 with the same or similar set up.

Weightman is a lock, West needs to play Jones showed a bit late and now is getting body strength and aerobic capacity to compete at level, another preseason should be ok but remainder of players we have in that position are clearly not up to it to the point they are a liability and can even play an effective role.

Need more small forward and half-forward options. The best sides for years have been full of them, it's just the way the game is being played now. For a side that plays 3 KPFs it becomes even more important.

Weightman and West is a fine start. Jones needs to start playing more often, regardless of disposal count (which is a silly metric for a small forward). Not confident on Clarke. Vandermeer and McNeil don't need to be talked about. If we don't look at trading in someone we're falling behind. Bedford was available for not much fuss, surely there's more out there.

Bont’s poor game deserves more scrutiny.

Captain, best player in the comp, and he gets his hands on the footy 4 times across the 2nd and 3rd quarters. The time during the game the Hawks got on top.

Played well in the last, but that means f**k all when the games already lost.
Worst for me was late in the game with him yelling at others from 50+ metres away meanwhile he was positioned nowhere near the contest and let his own man run off and get a touch as they transitioned forward. Love Bont but he was disappointing last night

Probably not the right area to ask? But how many from last nights team are eligible for VFL finals?
(The only interest I have now is hoping Footscray can get up)
From last night: Harmes and McNeil
Others eligible: Gardner, Garcia, Cleary, L.Smith, Croft, Baker, Bedendo, Clarke, Poulter, Busslinger, A.Jones, Scott and Keath

Khamis, Daniel, Freijah, Lobb and Sanders played the minimum number of VFL games but too many AFL games to qualify

Worst for me was late in the game with him yelling at others from 50+ metres away meanwhile he was positioned nowhere near the contest and let his own man run off and get a touch as they transitioned forward. Love Bont but he was disappointing last night
He did this about a month ago, can't remember which game exactly but he gave Weightman an absolute spray for kicking it to someone else and not him. He's been off kilter ever since

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back