Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought it was brilliant at the time.

In hindsight forcing a player with a bung knee to come to your club when you’ve just won the spoon was probably not a great idea.

Brown snapped his leg, Jacobs was a hack, Veale never got a game and Rawlings got to North three years later and played two games.

What a farce.

Do not forget Keppler Bradley to the Dons who I think they used on the pick 6 they got

Last edited:
We just played in front of the biggest Marvel crowd in 13 years and the biggest non-GF crowd in a game ever that didn’t involve Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond.

There’s more to it than that but can the minnows on this board stop acting like being a smaller club is this huge reason behind everything bad that happens to us.

We aren't North/St Kilda
We're still closer to them then we are to the majority of other clubs in Melbourne
That would make sense but he'll be playing at a cowpaddock in Geelong and living in the middle of nowhere
I was speaking generally, not for Smith specifically, and there's clearly Cotton On/other elements to the deal here.

An example is Mason Cox was perused heavily by North Melbourne who were desperate for him as a Cat B (and were most confident that he could make an AFL career). He chose Collingwood because they literally said "we play in front of big crowds and you can live in the inner city and bascially walk or drive 5 mins to work" and that got him over. etc.

This year Geelong featured in four of the top 20 most attended matches, we were in zero. He'll play more games on the MCG.
I know they are a great side that always finishes top 4 and have more supporters, but it also helep to play all of Carlton x2, Collingwood and Hawthorn at the MCG.

Playing Collingwood at the MCG is basically guaranteed 50-60k+ for most clubs, we play them at Marvel.

Playing Carlton in form is a bit smaller but still a big crowd puller, but they were both in the top 4 for both encounters I’m pretty sure…we play them at Marvel.

And the Geelong Hawthorn rivalry I don’t even need to explain…we play Hawks in Tassie.

I personally think using the draft points index is a poor guide. Say we rate Smith as a pick 10. Means we'd be wanting a pick 10 for him, so we can get the 10th best player in the draft that we feel can adequately match or surpass Smith's contribution. Unless we package up the picks to move up. Which can cost us more than the two picks we do get. Those two picks could end up a pick around 20 and late in the 30s. Which is essentially a second and third round pick. So we"d be getting the 20th and near 40th best players in the draft. If we are replacing Smith, I'd want him to be replaced by a top end mid in the draft.
There’s no perfect way to measure a players worth. The points system has its flaws just as subjective assessments like ‘rating Smith at pick 10’ do, however, it’s the only objective tool we have. But even then it’s difficult to predict where fair value will land considering all the variables - father son, NGA, compensation picks.

What we do know is that it’s not going to be as simple as Smith for a single top 10 pick from the Cats as they simply don’t have the capital, hence the use of the points system becomes relevant as multiple picks both in and out are likely to be involved.

Smith is off contract, coming off an ACL injury and will select Geelong, the club is hamstrung by what we can get for him.

Personally, I'd prefer getting some picks rather than nothing in the PSD.

Picks 18-23 has some real talent this year and lots of good players have come from that range.

It's not a question of rolling over. It's a question of a system that is heavily stacked in favour of players who request a trade.

The only mitigating factor to this is if your club is seen as a destination club or has a long legacy of success and plays in front of big crowds on a regular basis. Two things that are actually one and the same in this competition.

Because building ones brand and selling garbage to as wide an audience as possible is the only game in town for the truly self absorbed as we saw recently with Petracca and now Smith. Football is becoming just another means of obtaining the key that opens many doors commercial opportunity for these guys at the top of the AFL influenza tree. Somebody who follows this vapid world. Can you remind me. How many insta followers did Smith have before he was even drafted?

If I cared to remember, Im pretty sure it was already a literal shit tonnes worth.

Clubs that don't fit into either of these categories, which is literally every club outside of a handful of established Melbourne powerhouses are destined to get ****ed.

They'll continue to make all the right equalisation noises, but the AFL are of course are ok with this Lord of the Flies game of survival of the establishment richest.

I'll leave it to the trade experts to spin their wheels setting an unobtainable benchmark for what we should demand in return from whomever Smith Chooses to nominate. Its Geelong. It was always Geelong.

Or how we should indulge in a bit of self nose removal just to prove our machismo and walk him to the draft for nada.

Drive as hard a bargain within the realms of what is achievable given the above.

Cash him in. Shrug. Move along little doggies.
At some point this should stop though Norm.

I agree with every word you've written, but I wish we as a club had the courage to fight the good fight and try to change the inevitability of our destiny.

If the club communicated to supporters that it wants to renegotiate its place in the AFL world—buckle up, this will get bumpy—I'll wager that 90% or more of Bulldogs supporters would be on board.

It's a time-honoured cliché, but I'm sick of accepting mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only thing that solves the unfair trade for players via picks is if you do what the european football clubs do and use cold hard cash... imagine what you could get for Bailey Smith in terms of cash

the only thing that solves the unfair trade for players via picks is if you do what the european football clubs do and use cold hard cash... imagine what you could get for Bailey Smith in terms of cash
and as a member owned club, I have no issue with there being dividends to us members

Smith is off contract, coming off an ACL injury and will select Geelong, the club is hamstrung by what we can get for him.

Personally, I'd prefer getting some picks rather than nothing in the PSD.

Picks 18-23 has some real talent this year and lots of good players have come from that range.

Hamstrung with the Stringer trade, the Dunkley trade, now the Smith trade, when was the last time we weren't hamstrung and ready to be shafted by a player wanting out.

Answer - never.

Time to stand up for yourselves Dogs. You'll get a hell of a lot more respect from your supporters.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back