Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Everytime we have a decent player on the way out there is a media campaign to undermine what we might get in return. Exactly the same as with Dunkley, Stringer, Griffen etc.

On the flipside, any decent player we want to bring in we must give up the world for.

Everytime we have a decent player on the way out there is a media campaign to undermine what we might get in return. Exactly the same as with Dunkley, Stringer, Griffen etc.

On the flipside, any decent player we want to bring in we must give up the world for.
Weren't we supposed to give up pick 12 for Josh Bruce? Clearly a significantly more valuable player than Smith

Goals Assists. 0 eleven times, 1 ten times. So even though he kicks it inside 50 3-5 times a game, he almost never sets up a goal.
I was surprised how high he was in terms of inside 50s vs how low he was on score assists.

Do you happen to know Vandermeer's score assists per entry? The eye test tells me his entries are some of the least efficient in our team.

Not quite as bad as peak Bailey Smith streaming down the wing, his glorious locks flowing behind him, followed by the inevitable long bomb to the advantage of the defender. Not quite that bad - but close.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with AFL stats can run the numbers and give us a proper idea of how good or terrible he really is at this crucial skill for his position.

This is one of the reasons I love supporting the Dogs. It's a stacked deck and we're not supposed to win. But when we do, as in 2016 and close in 2021, it's just a big heck you to them all. We do and will do despite them, certainly not because of them.

My attitude to it is not to adopt that of the victim. We know that everyone is gonna try to heck us. It's a given. It's a challenge, an obstacle to be overcome. Acknowledge the challenge and/or obstacle and then overcome it. There are flags .... and then are our flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prepare to be annoyed as, when Baker and Battle fetch more than Smith does.
Weird this quote from Foxman shows up as me.

West Coast will hold onto pick 3 for dear life and Battle is a FA so not relevant to trade cost

I believe Clarke and Rypstra are in talks about one year extensions

Dogs looking to build their small forward fleet within and sign one free agent to assist
The only FA small forwards I can see are at Gold Coast - Sexton has great goal sense but his defensive side is lacking.

I was surprised how high he was in terms of inside 50s vs how low he was on score assists.

Do you happen to know Vandermeer's score assists per entry? The eye test tells me his entries are some of the least efficient in our team.

Not quite as bad as peak Bailey Smith streaming down the wing, his glorious locks flowing behind him, followed by the inevitable long bomb to the advantage of the defender. Not quite that bad - but close.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with AFL stats can run the numbers and give us a proper idea of how good or terrible he really is at this crucial skill for his position.
17 GA from 58 entries.

His best was Round 21 vs the Demons, with 3GA from 4I50

Had games of 0 from 5 twice, and 1 from 6.

Then again Richards only had 16GA from 100I50, and Treloar only 13GA from 104I50, so that probably tells me the GA part isn't as relevant as it seemed at first. Bont 26GA from 133I50. Means Vanders has a better ratio than the listed. Maybe he does do something right.

The problem with GA, is it doesn't show all the targets you hit inside 50.

17 GA from 58 entries.

His best was Round 21 vs the Demons, with 3GA from 4I50

Had games of 0 from 5 twice, and 1 from 6.

Then again Richards only had 16GA from 100I50, and Treloar only 13GA from 104I50, so that probably tells me the GA part isn't as relevant as it seemed at first. Bont 26GA from 133I50. Means Vanders has a better ratio than the listed. Maybe he does do something right.

The problem with GA, is it doesn't show all the targets you hit inside 50.
Stats aren't the be all, but from footywire:

RankNameGamesAverage
1​
24​
1.08​
2​
2​
1.00​
2​
1​
1.00​
4​
20​
0.85​
5​
21​
0.76​
6​
24​
0.71​
6​
21​
0.71​
8​
12​
0.58​
9​
23​
0.57​
10​
18​
0.50​

VDM actually does pretty well on GA stats, although Marra's horror misses must change these stats somewhat - it's why Champion Data tend to weight 'scores from inside 50 entries' more highly

You may not think it is relevant to English and may be correct, but he is 27 so only just entering the prime age for a ruck.

Very few are like Max Gawn
My view on English is a bit like Tom Boyd. He needs to have one good finals series over the next 2 years and that means parity at source plus what he does around the ground, whilst we have peak Bont and Marra on our list. Next year or 2026 is when he needs to repay the faith. If he does and we win one, I can live with before and after.

Stats aren't the be all, but from footytwire:

RankNameGamesAverage
1​
24​
1.08​
2​
2​
1.00​
2​
1​
1.00​
4​
20​
0.85​
5​
21​
0.76​
6​
24​
0.71​
6​
21​
0.71​
8​
12​
0.58​
9​
23​
0.57​
10​
18​
0.50​
Yeah thats why stats can be misleading. When I first looked at the GA for Vanders, they just felt oddly low.
Until I looked at some of our better players, and realized it is all the same, low for everyone. So not a good stat to really use as a measuring stick for much.

Yeah thats why stats can be misleading. When I first looked at the GA for Vanders, they just felt oddly low.
Until I looked at some of our better players, and realized it is all the same, low for everyone. So not a good stat to really use as a measuring stick for much.
Yeah - it's also interesting that Marra mentioned he likes leading to Naughton as he instinctively knows where to put the ball to advantage, even though on conventional wisdom (and on kicking action) he's a terrible field kick.

Macrae used to get lambasted for his kicking too but was our best for 'scores and ball retention' for his inside 50s for a few years in a row.

It's interesting that our no 1 disposal winner, and the no 1 in the AFL for the H&A season (Treloar) features so low too. And I'm surprised Williams isn't in the top 10 either.

The whole thing about B&F finishes and All Australian squads is laughable. They are paying based on Baz’s potential. Exactly the same as what Freo did with Luke Jackson when out of contract.

Rising star winner and integral member of a premiership team in his second season as a tall is hardly just potential. Smith’s 24 next season, he’s not young and has shown zero evidence that he’s a team player. If he was an average looking former pick 28 who had played exactly the same way it would getting no media coverage at all that he’s requested a trade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A few clubs are offering Buku a larger $ and longer years than us ATM
He’s depth at best. If Jones, JOD and Lobb are available he won’t play and we have Buss and Croft to blood.

We also have Gardner contracted to fall back on.

Fine to keep on say a one year deal but no use locking him into a longer term deal because of competition.

Rising star winner and integral member of a premiership team in his second season as a tall is hardly just potential. Smith’s 24 next season, he’s not young and has shown zero evidence that he’s a team player. If he was an average looking former pick 28 who had played exactly the same way it would getting no media coverage at all that he’s requested a trade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He wasn't integral at all

He had a good 5 minute burst in 4 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back