Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rising star winner and integral member of a premiership team in his second season as a tall is hardly just potential. Smith’s 24 next season, he’s not young and has shown zero evidence that he’s a team player. If he was an average looking former pick 28 who had played exactly the same way it would getting no media coverage at all that he’s requested a trade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah but if Jackson is out of contract like Smith is, don’t the Dees also have no leverage? Why not just offer a 2nd rounder as there is no leverage?

Rising star winner and integral member of a premiership team in his second season as a tall is hardly just potential. Smith’s 24 next season, he’s not young and has shown zero evidence that he’s a team player. If he was an average looking former pick 28 who had played exactly the same way it would getting no media coverage at all that he’s requested a trade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
His form is patchy and his kicking lets him down in many games, but there's not many other young players in the league who have accumulated a number of individually outstanding games like Smith has - look at his Brownlow and Coaches votes statistics at his age.

Also, his output of statistics would have been better if he had been given a chance to play proper centre bounce onball minutes, which we haven't been able to give him - I don't blame him for thinking that he's a better player than one stuck behind Treloar, Libba, Bont, Macrae centre bounce minutes in his career, if he was given that positional opportunity in his most natural position.

I don't disagree that his average output is bad and declined in 2023 but there's not many other 21, 22, 23 year olds who had as many individually good games (such as those getting 2 and 3 brownlow votes) as Smith, and the ones that are (your Serong, Anderson types) would gather more than a top 5 pick if traded right now, which we're not asking for - just a top 10 pick or equivalent.

With it sounding like we want one good 1st rounder, I can see it being just for their future 1st. We take the risk that they have another good year, they take a risk if they drop off.
Honestly that would be a p1ss poor bet to take on. Likely to end up with one pick in the late teens to early twenties. This year's 1st and next with something going back might get close to approximately getting close to Smith's worth

This is one of the reasons I love supporting the Dogs. It's a stacked deck and we're not supposed to win. But when we do, as in 2016 and close in 2021, it's just a big heck you to them all. We do and will do despite them, certainly not because of them.

My attitude to it is not to adopt that of the victim. We know that everyone is gonna try to heck us. It's a given. It's a challenge, an obstacle to be overcome. Acknowledge the challenge and/or obstacle and then overcome it. There are flags .... and then are our flags.
Yep, agree. Get a grip guys, I back Power to come out of this with a win, or show the Cats up as not trustworthy to other players. We are excellent with our drafting, we will get something good and Smith and his dodgy kicking will be a distant dream, beside it will be enjoyable reading the Geelong board when he inevitably stuffs up.

I have one contact in the AFL and he is a list manager/recruiting person at an opposition club.

Several months ago he told me what everyone knew that Smith would be leaving and most likely to the Cats. No one came out and said it openly but discussions with other list managers indicated that is what is happening. They deduced this from putting one and one together with discussions they were having with the clubs involved.

Spoke to him this morning and he said the Cats would know what the expectation would be and have known for sometime and the Dogs would already know whether or not Cats will meet it or how close they will get to it. what has transpired over the last 24 hours was already decided that is when the confirmation would be happening.

He did however say or put a caveat in that Mackie is a different operator than previous list people at the Cats. He is new to the job and has already put some noses out of joint with the way he goes about things. Not a great endorsement of Mackie in short.

On a side note

He loved Freijah prior to the draft but he has been blown away with how quickly he has developed and how he has played at such a high level.

Be patient with Sanders his club rated him highly and nothing he has seen this year has changed that.

Shame on O'Driscoll as although very raw he was exactly what the club was looking for.

Last edited:
I have one contact in the AFL and he is a list manager at an opposition club.

Several months ago he told me what everyone knew that Smith would be leaving and most likely to the Cats. No one came out and said it openly but discussions with other list managers indicated that what was happening. They deduced this from putting one and one together with discussions they were having with the clubs involved.

Spoke to him this morning and he said the Cats would know what the expectation would be and have known for sometime and the Dogs would already know whether or not Cats will meet it or how close they will get to it.

He did however say or put a caveat in that Mackie is a different operator than previous list people at the Cats. He is new to the job and has already put some noses out of joint with the way he goes about things. Not a great endorsement of Mackie in short.
You can see he's already paying off the media with the PR spin they're all doing now,

Hopefully the board and Power have the spine to send the little prick to the PSD can guarantee it will be more well received then a shit "first round" pick by the supporters

With the way the modern game is played does it make sense to have circa $5M locked up in English, Marra, Naughton and Darcy?

Having quality small forwards and players that can cover the ground + apply manic pressure are vital to successful finals teams. I'm not sure our list management strategy is set up for success.

Last edited:
With the way the modern game is played does it make sense to have circa $5M locked up in English, Marra, Naughton and Darcy?

Having quality small forwards and players that can cover the ground + apply manic pressure are vital to successful finals teams. I'm not sure our list management strategy is set up for success given how the modern game is played.

I don't think we should hold all of them. I think we should cash out at least one.

Sell high.

I have one contact in the AFL and he is a list manager/recruiting person at an opposition club.

Several months ago he told me what everyone knew that Smith would be leaving and most likely to the Cats. No one came out and said it openly but discussions with other list managers indicated that is what is happening. They deduced this from putting one and one together with discussions they were having with the clubs involved.

Spoke to him this morning and he said the Cats would know what the expectation would be and have known for sometime and the Dogs would already know whether or not Cats will meet it or how close they will get to it. what has transpired over the last 24 hours was already decided that is when the confirmation would be happening.

On a side note

He loved Freijah prior to the draft but he has been blown away with how quickly he has developed and how he has played at such a high level.

Be patient with Sanders his club rated him highly and nothing he has seen this year has changed that.

Shame on O'Driscoll as although very raw he was exactly what the club was looking for.
it will come back and bite Mackie at some point if he continues to be prick with other list managers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or how we should indulge in a bit of self nose removal just to prove our machismo and walk him to the draft for nada.

Drive as hard a bargain within the realms of what is achievable given the above.

Cash him in. Shrug. Move along little doggies.
If we don’t take a stand we might as well get a 3rd rounder and a pat on the head when JUH leaves out of contract to a stupid offer from Collingwood in 2 years. Every club will start trading out their decent assets for crap if we don’t accept their first offer, which will always be unders, (see Dunkley trade) and saying - sorry, we did warn you, that’s all we have left and you’ll just have to take it.

There’s is no possible genuine negociation to be made unless we form some position of strength with the minimal leverage this system allows. And the ONLY leverage we have is forcing player managers to ensure the new club commits to trade parity before committing their player. The only way to ensure that is to commit to the alternate being the player enters a draft lottery. If we don’t use the preseason/ draft alternative, and aren’t genuinely, staunchly, committed to being prepared to send players through it (and we instead accept “the best we can get” as you suggest), we have nothing to negotiate with now or in the future. That means saying please sir may I have some more every time we get the drippings from the rich man’s table (see Dunkley trade!)

No one is disputing the inequitable nature of the trade table and that it is set up for the bigger clubs to benefit.

Your post suggests we accept that inequity and just roll over for a tummy rub.

I fundamentally disagree.

On a side note

Nothing the footy world didn’t already know about Mackie after haggling right up to the deadline for pick 94

David Cunningham, Mahony, Holman, Francis Evans, Sestan, Guelfi, Brockman, Coulthard, Cumberland
I actually like Cunningham but he's more HF and very injury prone.

Guelfi is a good story but he's like Cavarra - a smaller mid/utility.

I'd rather bite the bullet and trade for Konstanty. Would cost a lot more but would be worth it. We might get a decade out if him.

Hopefully we can do a Jade Rawlings deal with Richmond and send Baz to the PSD for a couple early tigers picks would be unbelievable

Bevo likes rucks who can't ruck & small forwards who don't kick goals.

Seriously though if we rock into 25 with vdm & mcneil as our 2 small forwards again don't even bother.
They're both half forwards, not small forwards.

We keep drafting small forwards for little return, with the exception of Flea. We even took one in last mid season draft so we clearly are looking for one to step up. Chook was a fairly high draft pick too

A few clubs are offering Buku a larger $ and longer years than us ATM
Saints were rumoured to be interested weeks ago.
Play him in a pure intercept role post-Battle leaving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back