Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue with Macrae all year has been running, and in a few games he’s played I watched and he was noticeably struggling for pace when the ball got out into space. Same with Daniel.

For two years we were one of the worst sides at allowing opposition run-ons and we suddenly became the best this year.

I actually suspect every effort has been made to include them in the lineup. They’ve played a fair few games and often been the sub, so they can come on fresh. I just don’t think their athletic attributes suit what we need anymore.

Footy is changing. Sucks that he’s going to be at another club but we can no longer have 6-7 slow midfielders, 1-2 of whom are stuck in the forward line.
Same thing that got Wallis unfortunately.

Hope he goes somewhere and has a really good run for them as a starting mid.

Bulldogs utility Buku Khamis will remain in the red, white and blue for the next two seasons after committing to a new deal at the Kennel.

The 24-year-old played 17 games this season, primarily in defence, averaging three intercept marks and ten touches per game.

Rising through the ranks to become the Bulldogs’ first Next Generation Academy selection in 2018, Khamis has played 27 games and kicked 7 goals.

Khamis was pleased to lock away the deal and remain at the Bulldogs.

“I am very excited to be locked in at the Kennel for two more years,” Khamis said.

“I love the playing group and coaches – I still feel like I have a lot of development left in me.

“The Club has done a lot for myself and my family. The culture is amazing, we are a pretty tight group – it made my choice pretty easy.

“I’ve taken a lot of confidence out of this season, what I’ve been able to do with the coaches and players, I’ll take that into 2025.”

Western Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, was happy to secure Khamis into the future.
“Buku has continued to develop this season after his first full pre-season in the backline,” Power said.

“As a Club, we’re pleased to have Buku with us for at least the next two seasons, with plenty of growth and development left in his game.

“He has shown an ability to intercept and use his aerial ability to good effect in games this season, taking a significant step forward with 17 AFL appearances.”

Khamis continues to play a pivotal role in the community, working with the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation regularly throughout the season.

Good on the young fellow!
If only Baz had a similar level of gratitude and appreciation!
I remember reading an article on Buku when he first signed, and the clubs ongoing liaison with Buku’s family (mum especially) who naturally were a bit overawed/apprehensive about this whole footy thing (career wise)
Terrific feel good story it was.

Not really, he's 30 not 35. And his transition from star to role player has largely occurred because the league has evolved in recent years. He's still going to be valuable as a starting inside mid for several teams.

he isnt versatile enough ala matty boyd/ murphy to play other positions.

apart from leadership/experience, no big loss

Absolutely sick that it’s come to this. Alright, if he’s not getting a gig inside mid, I can accept that. But when he has come in and played other roles this year he has been good to very good.

Then he’s out of the side again on Bevo’s whim.

Makes me sick that we have shown so much faith in VDM & McNeil despite poor performance and minimal upside, while a Bulldogs hero rots on the bench.

I would show Bevo the door and ask Jack to reconsider.

Genuinely gutted about this one.
100% agreement. Looks like loyalty should only go one way this reflects poorly on the Club. 250 games 3 times all Australian 29 years old gives 100% and been treated like crap.

One thing about Judas Bailey Smith leaving is if you are replacing a high rated player you normally have a weaken list from the current season. Given he did not play whatever we get as trade improves the player talent from 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How’s he been treated like crap?

Apparently “Jack, we’d love for you to stay at the Dogs, but as it stands you’re our fifth best midfielder so we can’t promise regular AFL games playing in the centre so you have our blessing to look elsewhere” is abominable treatment.

One thing about Judas Bailey Smith leaving is if you are replacing a high rated player you normally have a weaken list from the current season. Given he did not play whatever we get as trade improves the player talent from 2024.
Does it? Still weakens depth at least.

You know what you're getting with Bailey, who knows what you get with a draftee

You make a good point here. One thing we lacked was someone who would run both ways, not something BS was good at. Used to annoy me seeing him jog back rather than use his speed to put pressure on opposition on the rebound.

It's the right move for Jack but still pretty heartbreaking.

However, if we have outgoing Smith, Macrae and possibly Garcia this year our midfield depth is nonexistent with a couple of oldies still holding down positions in Treloar and Libba.

We're going to have to cast the net wide on mids only at the draft and hope we hit soemthing good. Really would have been a nice draft to have our own first rounder still

he isnt versatile enough ala matty boyd/ murphy to play other positions.

apart from leadership/experience, no big loss
In the context of our team balance, I agree. But it's not due to him falling off as an athlete, and at least a handful of teams with weaker inside mid depth will have a clear role for him.

Pretty simple in my opinion. Tell them it’s this year and next years first for Bailey and next years second or Bailey goes to PSD. That’s it, don’t entertain any other options or offers. State your position, be resolute, don’t engage in further chat and let them make the call.
Why are you throwing in our next years second? 2 firsts straight up seeing as they will both likely be second rounders anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back