Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shame about Macrae. Wonder if it is the club or Macrae wanting to go ?

What is he worth in picks ? Not heaps I suspect given his age

So you know for sure that Bevo's told him he's not wanted? Not that he's asked to go somewhere he'll be a top three mid and play every week?
I would imagine he’s been told he will have a peripheral role like he has this year. That’s obviously not acceptable to Macrae.

Macrae doesn't play small forward like VDM or Gallagher. He's fighting Garcia, Gallagher, Harmes, Daniel et al

I’d have him ahead of any of those 4 too. McNeil & VDM aren’t a small forwards arseh*le. 16 goals in 36 games combined. 87 tackles. Macrae has 63 alone in his 19 games, several off the bench.

Sorry to see Jack go. Very underappreciated player to the non-Bulldog community. I hope he gets to the club of his choice and does well, except against us, of course.

Trusty Jack is how I'll remember him.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2106866
Don't think we have to worry about Garcia. As long as he still gives a shit about our players re-signing. We should be good.
Garcia probably has the opposite exit meeting to Jack. The club goes on to say that although you were in and out of the side, we see a clear future for you within our best 22 for a long time if you continue to do the right things.

He now sees two senior players that play similar roles to him moving on and all the sudden it’s very attractive to stay put.

I would imagine he’s been told he will have a peripheral role like he has this year. That’s obviously not acceptable to Macrae.

I’d have him ahead of any of those 4 too. McNeil & VDM aren’t a small forwards arseh*le. 16 goals in 36 games combined. 87 tackles. Macrae has 63 alone in his 19 games, several off the bench.
Our defence wasn’t shit because we had McNeil and VDM closing down space don’t be ridiculous thinking Jack could’ve played that role

Didn’t Mid-Week Report that Jack wants a Melbourne based club that he wasn’t keen on Geelong

Doesn’t want to go with Bailey 😉

Garcia probably has the opposite exit meeting to Jack. The club goes on to say that although you were in and out of the side, we see a clear future for you within our best 22 for a long time if you continue to do the right things.

He now sees two senior players that play similar roles to him moving on and all the sudden it’s very attractive to stay put.

“The guy you’ve been competing with for a senior spot all year is moving on” would be music to his ears and I’d love for him to stick around.

We played much better footy once we moved Macrae out of the centre bounce!

3-5 in games this year that Macrae played centre bounce minutes (including our win vs. Freo where he attended literally just one)
11-4 in games this year that he didn't. (or 11-5 counting the finals loss).

Not to say he isn't an AFL standard midfielder anymore but we played much better footy prioritising putting midfielders there (including even giving Gallagher centre bounce minutes at stages) to balance the fact that Bont, Libba and Treloar are not quick players across the three of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of the reasons I love supporting the Dogs. It's a stacked deck and we're not supposed to win. But when we do, as in 2016 and close in 2021, it's just a big heck you to them all. We do and will do despite them, certainly not because of them.

My attitude to it is not to adopt that of the victim. We know that everyone is gonna try to heck us. It's a given. It's a challenge, an obstacle to be overcome. Acknowledge the challenge and/or obstacle and then overcome it. There are flags .... and then are our flags.
We certainly do need to get more ‘creative’ than other clubs when it comes to recruitment.

A 3x All Australian and premiership hero has the ability to change. If he got half the opportunity those other two and some others get, he’d be a great role player finishing his career at the only club he should.
I mentioned before Bevo is great but has a massive blind spot in selection.

Half the opportunity?

He’s a 200+ games premiership winning All Australian. All at the dogs.

On what planet is that not more of an opportunity than those other players?

I believe Clarke and Rypstra are in talks about one year extensions

Dogs looking to build their small forward fleet within and sign one free agent to assist
Felt like Rypstra deserved a chance to do a proper preseason to see if he can get his body right to best showcase his abilities. So would be happy see him get a 1 year extension

I don’t expect we’ll get a whole lot for Macrae but between him and Smith there’s a good opportunity to either get some players who fill needs in or hit the draft.

I’m very much hoping we keep Garcia now. The cupboard is starting to get bare if we have injuries.

Another positive from a Macrae trade - the selection of Jordan McMahon 24 years ago continues to pay off a few more years.

So the strategy to get speed into the midfield is by passing up two first round picks in this year draft that is stacked with midfielders for Sanders who is a slower midfielder? There's clearly no strategy with Daniel and Macrae it's just that club now thinks their contracts were a mistake. A lack of forward pressure and no crumber has been an issue for years and yet they've never gone out and targeted someone, if there was a strategy in place that should have been at the top of the list.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back