Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

It improves the list relative to what he offered in 2024, but almost certainly weakens the list in 2025 relative to if he had stayed. It's a net negative, at least in the short term.
It just made getting Peatling a lot more important

FMD, two players is a mass exodus

And Bizzare according to Tom Morris that he requested a trade the day after his exit meeting.Perhaps he was told he would have limited opportunities next year and he could consider his options.He slept on it, and asked for a traee de the next day.I suspect he really didn’t want to go.

Bizarre? It’s Bizarre Tom was able to salvage his career.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The reactionary media goes something like this.

'Dogs need to move on Macrae...not in their best 22, in and out of the side.'

'What? Macrae has requested a trade? Oh my God. The Dogs are imploding. What a mess. Who's next? The joint is on fire.'

scared homer simpson GIF

It just made getting Peatling a lot more important

I’d say it’s probable that we already have someone locked in.

If anything we are being loyal to Macrae both by being upfront and honest about his likelihood of getting picked in 2025 and beyond, and not getting in the way of him talking to other clubs or being flexibile from a contract and salary cap point of view into the future and letting him pick which club he may want to go to (we could very well take a stand by holding Macrae to his contract unless any club pays x amount of his salary or whatever).

Loyalty is letting him get to the club he wants to (which we will do) as opposed to haggling over 20k per year in salary cap room or whatever.

ok apologies, i must be mistaken, Gardy is banging down the selection door, just got to get his body right, bevo and the team have big plans for him in 2025

Gardner is tall depth on minimum chips who’s good to have around just in case our key talls are injured, what’s your point?

Devastated about Macrae, my favourite player.
Needs to be remembered for his great service to our club. One of our best finals players ever. I feel like he should have at least one, even a couple of best and fairest wins.
For someone that didn’t kick a lot of goals, he kicked two of the most important goals in the clubs history. The prelim in 2016, & the semi in 2021.
I really hope there is no ill will (and I doubt there will be from someone like Jack) and we see him back at the club as a regular at functions and so on when his days are done.
This one will be a tough one to swallow for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're in the position that Melbourne we're in a few weeks ago. The media's new talking point that they weasel into and attempt to implode from the inside. And from a quick glance by neutrals we seem to be slowly sinking.

But let's actually look at this.

FORWARD LINE: We're absolutely set for the future. Naughton, Ugle-Hagan, Darcy. With West and Weightman picking up the scraps should be a premiership winning offence any year. BUT...This all kind of hinges on our coaching unit sorting out their goal kicking. Absolutely putrid

MIDFIELD(THE GUTS): This is the major talking point. Bont will hold his spot as the Big man until he retires in five-ish years. If Dangerfield(who is having a ripper season) and Pendlebury(Premiership player at 35) can do it, so can our man.

Libba/Treloar are probably two years off retirement combined and You'd think afterwards It will be a straight swap. Garcia and Sanders In. Both player's by this point should be competent and settled(Looking at you Sanders). Then with the remaining spot and salary cap space from retirements, I would be whispering in the ear of any Marquee midfielder in the game with speed. Depth in the middle is so important in today's game.

BACKLINE: Jones and Lobb are capable of being out key defenders for at least two more seasons. But will rotate out occasionally to get games into Buss and...Croft? potentially. Don't think he has a role otherwise. Unless Naughton is sold on moving down back.

The Draft is where we need to nail our role players. We won't win shit with McNeil and VDM. We just won't. No matter how hard they try. If we play hardball with Smith. And the club are planning to honour Macrae's request. We should have the picks and the footy sense to do so.

Last edited:
Saints will have a fair bit of draft capital.

Happy to deal with them.

They'll add pick 8.

Surely we can at least get a pick upgrade for Jack?

Our hand currently looks awful but we'll add to that during trade week.

Last edited:
Jack, premiership player and three time all Australian.... well done son.

I think personally this is a good move, yes he is good enough in the starting 22 but not as a forward or wingman as he has played. 30 year old now and will free up some cap space.

Jack is the type of lad every mum and dad wants to marry their daughter... comes across as a lovely young lad who still bakes scones with his nan at Church on weekends in the offseason.

Congrats Jack on a great career at the dogs!

Apparently “Jack, we’d love for you to stay at the Dogs, but as it stands you’re our fifth best midfielder so we can’t promise regular AFL games playing in the centre so you have our blessing to look elsewhere” is abominable treatment.
He's a great idea, keep a guy that isn't best 22 on your list earning 750k + because to you want 'treat' him right.

Imagine if we eventually turn all these moves into enough picks and cap space for Butters? All be worth it then.
It definitely gives us more flexibility + we are going to have pay Darcy and Marra a lot of money very soon.

Since he’s role had been changed.

I understand that. There can’t be any frustration though with any of the opportunity Macrae has recently gotten considering the career he’s carved out.

He’s also not similar in the way he plays the game to those other two. It’s like being frustrated Macrae hasn’t got as much opportunity in the key forward role as Marra.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back