Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling some club will pay overs for Macrae (North, St Kilda).

That said, what’s his worth? Something better than a token pick for salary off the books, but nothing high?

Pick 30-ish is my guess, but he’s a hard one to value.

Got no animosity towards Macrae. Unlike those selfish pricks Wanklenka and Dunkley, he’s dedicated his football career to his teammates and the jumper he wears.

One of the greats!

Time has come though. He’ll finish elsewhere and we’ll be compensated accordingly. Not an unhappy finish to his bulldogs story. As it should be.

That said, what’s his worth? Something better than a token pick for salary off the books, but nothing high?

He’ll carve out 3-4 years of starting midfield football at either of those clubs.

For how both are travelling, particularly North, he’s worth more than what we’d get elsewhere.

Starting point should be high second rounder.

He’ll carve out 3-4 years of starting midfield football at either of those clubs.

For how both are travelling, particularly North, he’s worth more than what we’d get elsewhere.

Starting point should be high second rounder.
Fair points.

Surely North are all over him? Macrae makes a lot more sense for them than Viney imo and they were keen on him.

Just seems the right fit.

Fairly comparable in the air however JOD isn't redundant when the ball hits the deck
JOD also doesn't get pushed out of contests as easily, or get lost mentally positioning wise. JOD has been in the system a few years less than Buku. I always say its unfair to compare a player with much less experience, and then question why they are not the same as the more experienced player. Khamis struggled big time at the same stage of their careers. Buku SHOULD be better than JOD NOW, based on his experience. That is not to write off JOD from getting to the same level or better in time.

Credit to Buku, he has worked very hard and stayed very loyal to the club. Both he and JOD will be valuable to the club over the next few seasons. I'd rather one of them as depth option than neither at all.

Last edited:
Sucks that we passed up on the local boy in the draft only to take Judas Iscariot. 😢 Especially when Judas was too scared to get drafted by an interstate club, probably should've been a red flag there and then.

Sucks that we passed up on the local boy in the draft only to take Judas Iscariot. Especially when Judas was too scared to get drafted by an interstate club, probably should've been a red flag there and then.
Unfortunately that draft there was a clear top tier and we got what was left in Smith.

Butters was rated late first by most pundits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps just spacing out the announcements but you’d think Daniel would also be looking elsewhere. He did state he wanted to stay not too long ago so it’d probably be more if we have told him he’ll continue to be on the outskirts of our best team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With his salary, contract length and age I’m not expecting much

Pretty flat. Jack was such a star. Think he deserved more of a go in the midfield this year but for some reason we chose to get games into Gallagher.

In reality we didn’t get much from Baz, Jack or CD this year. So the loss shouldn’t hurt too much on field. Still sucks tho.

His game vs Brisbane in the semi final 2021 was unbelievable. And 2016 semi final vs Hawks. Big big big time player.

If we don’t take a stand we might as well get a 3rd rounder and a pat on the head when JUH leaves out of contract to a stupid offer from Collingwood in 2 years. Every club will start trading out their decent assets for crap if we don’t accept their first offer, which will always be unders, (see Dunkley trade) and saying - sorry, we did warn you, that’s all we have left and you’ll just have to take it.
Reports are that we've already taken a stand and named our price as somewhere in the low teens as a starter.

Aside from Scotts feigned indifference when asked about Smith over the course of the season as rumours abounded of Smith wanting out and that they are his desired destination. We have no idea what they are willing to offer. Whether they have a willingness to trade up and get to somewhere approaching our wants. Or whether they are prepared to let him fall through to the PSD and miss out completely when only a fool would believe that they wouldn't have committed to him months ago.

A hell of a lot needs to play out before your hypothetical offer a 3rd round pick comes to pass let alone your extrapolating this trade to JUH. As if what happens with Smith if we don't go with the scorched earth approach makes that a forgone conclusion.

There’s is no possible genuine negociation to be made unless we form some position of strength with the minimal leverage this system allows.

Correct and it's my overarching point. Clubs only viable position of strength once an un-contracted player outside of free agency declares a desire to leave is the hollow threat of walking them to the PSD.

Thats the crooked system working as designed.

And the ONLY leverage we have is forcing player managers to ensure the new club commits to trade parity before committing their player.
How is this a workable solution to the issue?

Player managers will call the clubs bluff and say that the player is happy to go into the PSD and wait for the club to blink.

Which they will. And when they do, they will invariably find themselves with even less leverage having pissed away valuable negotiation space.

The only way to ensure that is to commit to the alternate being the player enters a draft lottery.

Why would they do this?

They hold all of the cards.

If we don’t use the preseason/ draft alternative, and aren’t genuinely, staunchly, committed to being prepared to send players through it (and we instead accept “the best we can get” as you suggest), we have nothing to negotiate with now or in the future. That means saying please sir may I have some more every time we get the drippings from the rich man’s table (see Dunkley trade!)
It's interesting that you again bring Dunkley into this conversation. Because that deal is pretty much how I see the Smith trade to Geelong panning out. We'll publicly make our demands for a pick in the low teens. Geelong will offer their first as a or even its second as a take it or leave it offer. This board will lose it ****ing minds across countless pages during trade week(s). The two clubs will haggle for days and the deal will land at their first, a future something or other and swopping of late picks that will enable an accumulation of points for other uses.

What we won't see is Bailey Smith going into the PSD.

Then Sam Power will release this statement.

"We understood Baileys decision to seek another opportunity to continue his career in Geelong, as part of a long-term lifestyle choice."

"Clearly our intention was to retain Bailey for the long term, such was the esteem we hold him in as a player and a person.

"We worked hard to ensure that we received adequate compensation for losing Bailey to Geelong. In the end we believe we have executed a deal which is fair for both parties and reflects Baileys value.

"Bailey has been an instrumental part of our football club for the last five years, we're sad to see him go, and we wish him well for the remainder of his career at the Cats."

This board will go into another round of losing its mind.

And the world will continue to turn.

No one is disputing the inequitable nature of the trade table and that it is set up for the bigger clubs to benefit.

How could they?

There is years of precedent that proves my point that the threat of sending elite talent to the PSD is as hollow as some of the heads on bigfooty. Contracted or not. Elite talent gets to go to clubs of their choosing at the time of their choosing. Ask Tom Barass. Or indeed Josh Dunkley.

Your post suggests we accept that inequity and just roll over for a tummy rub.

No it doesn't. What it suggests is pretty much how and why the Smith trade is destined to play out the way it inevitably will.

All of the huffing and puffing about the PSD that we are seeing is unlikely to change that.

I fundamentally disagree.

Im fine with that.

However, history will prove me to be correct.

Last edited:
Perhaps just spacing out the announcements but you’d think Daniel would also be looking elsewhere. He did state he wanted to stay not too long ago so it’d probably be more if we have told him he’ll continue to be on the outskirts of our best team.

Is definitely be keeping CD now for depth purposes. Jacko & Baz gone would free up a good $1.5 million for the next two seasons and Caleb only has two more left.

It was always Caleb or Jacko in my eyes, hopefully not both.

Good announcements maybe, but why would they space out losing players? It’s like ripping off a Band-Aid slowly

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back