Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Got no animosity towards Macrae. Unlike those selfish pricks Wanklenka and Dunkley, he’s dedicated his football career to his teammates and the jumper he wears.

One of the greats!

Time has come though. He’ll finish elsewhere and we’ll be compensated accordingly. Not an unhappy finish to his bulldogs story. As it should be.
Yep I have this sentiment as well.

Will be a shame to see Jack go but it is hardly surprising giving he was in and out of the team this year. Just hasn't been the player he was before.

The goal he scored in the 2016 Prelim final is legendary and so happy he got a premiership.

Watching us on Friday night compared to Hawthorn it is so obvious we some players with speed through the midfield.

Bailey Smith was that type of player but he is off to the surf coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reports are that we've already taken a stand and named our price as somewhere in the low teens as a starter.

Aside from Scotts feigned indifference when asked about Smith over the course of the season as rumours abounded of Smith wanting out and that they are his desired destination. We have no idea what they are willing to offer. Whether they have a willingness to trade up and get to somewhere approaching our wants. Or whether they are prepared to let him fall through to the PSD and miss out completely when only a fool would believe that they wouldn't have committed to him months ago.

A hell of a lot needs to play out before your hypothetical offer a 3rd round pick comes to pass let alone your extrapolating this trade to JUH. As if what happens with Smith if we don't go with the scorched earth approach makes that a forgone conclusion.

Correct and it's my overarching point. Clubs only viable position of strength once an un-contracted player outside of free agency declares a desire to leave is the hollow threat of walking them to the PSD.

Thats the crooked system working as designed.

How is this a workable solution to the issue?

Player managers will call the clubs bluff and say that the player is happy to go into the PSD and wait for the club to blink.

Which they will.

Why would they do this?

They hold all of the cards.

It's interesting that you again bring Dunkley into this conversation. Because that deal is pretty much how I see the Smith trade to Geelong panning out. We'll publicly make our demands for a pick in the low teens. Geelong will offer their first as a or even its second as a take it or leave it offer. This board will lose it ****ing minds across countless pages during trade week(s). The two clubs will haggle for days and the deal will land at their first, a future something or other and swopping of late picks that will enable an accumulation of points for other uses.

What we won't see is Bailey Smith going into the PSD.

Then Sam Power will release this statement.

"We understood Baileys decision to seek another opportunity to continue his career in Geelong, as part of a long-term lifestyle choice."

"Clearly our intention was to retain Bailey for the long term, such was the esteem we hold him in as a player and a person.

"We worked hard to ensure that we received adequate compensation for losing Bailey to Geelong. In the end we believe we have executed a deal which is fair for both parties and reflects Baileys value.

"Bailey has been an instrumental part of our football club for the last five years, we're sad to see him go, and we wish him well for the remainder of his career at the Cats."

This board will go into another round of losing its mind.

And the world will continue to turn.

How could they?

There is years of precedent that proves my point that the threat of sending elite talent to the PSD is as hollow as some of the heads on bigfooty. Contracted or not. Elite talent gets to go to clubs of their choosing at the time of their choosing. Ask Tom Barass. Or indeed Josh Dunkley.

No it doesn't. What it suggests is pretty much how and why the Smith trade is destined to play out the way it inevitably will.

All of the huffing and puffing about the PSD that we are seeing is unlikely to change that.

Im fine with that.

However, history will prove me to be correct.
“The most dangerous phrase in the English language is: We've always done it this way. It raises the question, 'Are we doing this because we always have, or because it's the right thing to do?”

Yes history tells us clubs continuously fail to pull the trigger on the preseason draft thread. Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t and can’t be done.

We are hampsters running on a very tenuous hampster wheel unless we decide it’s time to pour petrol on the wheel, burn it to the ground, break out of the cage and **** off out into the wilderness…..

Haven’t heard much. I’m hopeful he gets signed. Has plenty of upside in my opinion. Looked very sharp early season. Looked like he lost a lot of confidence after his debut. I believe he deserves a year and hopefully he can have a big pre season and repay the faith.
Mojorisin was confident he'll be offered a year

“The most dangerous phrase in the English language is: We've always done it this way. It raises the question, 'Are we doing this because we always have, or because it's the right thing to do?”

Yes clubs continuously fail to pull the trigger on the preseason draft thread. Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t and can’t be done.

We are hampsters running on a very tenuous hampster wheel unless we decide it’s time to pour petrol on the wheel, burn it to the ground, break out of the cage and **** off out into the wilderness…..
Apologies for the bold it came with the quote I pulled - I’m not particularly computer savvy :)

Bailey smith insta story now deleted. What a strange 10 minutes on instagram

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back