Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we’ve tried this. Stef Martin was basically a player coach. He battled against a much more physically imposing Sweet for awhile. We brought on Lade. We have put so much into Tim, and it’s cost us a lot more games than it’s won.

I fear we have invested a lot of time, money and thrown matchups in ruck-Schache. Not sure Tim is going to improve where we need him to, it’s between the ears. What we’ve seen is what we’re going to be getting and generously paying for the next five years.
English is just a very tall midfielder.

I think we’ve tried this. Stef Martin was basically a player coach. He battled against a much more physically imposing Sweet for awhile. We brought on Lade. We have put so much into Tim, and it’s cost us a lot more games than it’s won.

I fear we have invested a lot of time, money and thrown matchups in ruck-Schache. Not sure Tim is going to improve where we need him to, it’s between the ears. What we’ve seen is what we’re going to be getting and generously paying for the next five years.

Think of any other athlete in an elite sport who has been in the system for eight years, with all of the dedicated training and coaching that this entails. Tim should be MUCH better at ruck craft than he is now. So, yeah. I agree. Good player, but we need to redeploy Tim to get the best out of him.

We really give a lot of non-standard players pass marks because we’ve been conditioned to seeing them play for so long.

McNeil and VDM would not get games on nearly any other list. I get why we are sticking with them now, we have no replacements or up comers for their positions, but we still need to move past them.

I know there were bigger names in the team that played terribly as well. That is another discussion to have.

Think of any other athlete in an elite sport who has been in the system for eight years, with all of the dedicated training and coaching that this entails. Tim should be MUCH better at ruck craft than he is now. So, yeah. I agree. Good player, but we need to redeploy Tim to get the best out of him.
It's not ruck craft that concerns me - it's competitiveness.

When the chips are down to we expect Timmy to flatten a bloke and make his presence felt? I certainly don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And they're old. Would have thought we would be appealing to young midfielder to take over
I think so too, although Bevo’s love of throwing players around might concern some who want midfield time now.

It’s definitely time to regenerate it though. The end can come fast for players after 30, and Libba is probably one knee injury or concussion from pulling the pin.

Stkilda have been watching Macca since mid year. Very good chance he ends up there. They have so much cap room they don’t know what to do with it.
Happy to send him there. It’s a bit like sending Stringer to Essendon - very little chance we’ll end up with egg on our faces.

The issue with Smith is typical of the younger generation now. Don't work through it and get better, earn trust and respect and win your place back, just say 'I'm not getting what I want or deserve, I'm off'.
What a stupid generalisation.

I think part of the problem is that in any one game we seen to blame the guys who are taking up 10% of the cap and not expecting the big money guys to perform.

Talking about VDM, McNeill, Harmes in the final? Marra earns more than these guys combined and was terrible in the final. All of our mids got their arses handed to them. And let's not talk about Timmy.

I'd be tempted to rookie Pruess and get him to batter Timmy all preseason as a 'harden the F up' exercise.
I'm really worried about the "end" bring near for Libba and Jones but at least we can throw kids to the wolves if that happens - Sanders and Buss. Are they completely ready? No, but they may develop quicker if given more opportunity.

I'd seriously chase a small forward hard though. Konstanty please. Actually tackles at VFL level and that game style should transfer to AFL pretty well.
Agreed. Any tinkering around the edges with these fringe players isn't going to move the needle on results very much. It's not like we can just replace these fringe players with stars on a whim. Need to address the underlying issues with the better players under performing when it matters.

He wouldn't play half back - he'd slot into a wing and being the best inside 50 kick in the AFL he probably makes any team a 2 goal better side.

It's a hell of a price to pay though and a huge risk.

I don’t follow port a lot has he played much wing for them?

The concern is if we pay the reported asking price multiple first rounders is what’s been reported. Then he flops on the wing as it’s a harder position to play than half back as the play isn’t solely in front of you.

There is no doubting the talent he has it’s just his main position is not a position of need and getting him to play a position he may not be familiar with is a risk

Agreed. Any tinkering around the edges with these fringe players isn't going to move the needle on results very much. It's not like we can just replace these fringe players with stars on a whim. Need to address the underlying issues with the better players under performing when it matters.
Another obvious issue is that we aren’t often in the game for the real guns at trade time.

If you could bring Papley in for VDM or McNeil you’d be making serious progress but it’s just not the kind of deal we pull off. It’s not a criticism of anyone - Power does well at targeting and bringing in solid players.

But you’re right - our players were just low energy in the final. We were the best side defensively and one of the best at transition in the H&A but just didn’t replicate it. Hawthorn carried on like they hadn’t had a bye. Would love to know why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back