Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it’s silly how players can requests trades while in contract in return for longer / better contracts. The only reasons contracts should be able to be broken by the player is if there has been a problem that can’t be resolved, a family matter meaning players need to move, a dispute about roles, etc.

I think the AFL should bring in a rule that no player trades can happen while under contract where the value of the contract is greater in $ value or term to the remaining contract at the incumbent club.

Barrass is a perfect example…….mate you signed the contract. If you want to move back to Melbourne for legit reasons that’s fair enough but the terms you move on can’t be better than the terms you’ve signed up for with your existing club.
It goes both ways though - Melbourne can look to rebuild from their current disaster by plopping gun players like Petracca and Pickett on the field last year because Melbourne secured them with long-term contracts, and be in a better position to dig themselves out with players like them there. Both wanted out, but as players, they can't have it both ways - their own security of well-paid long-term contracts if their own form falls away, they wouldn't accept the club asking them to be paid less, so they can hardly go to the club and say the club's "form" of sorts has also fallen.

There aren't many on our list I'd be confident kicking a set shot 20 metres out, directly in front.

With the fate of the universe on the line - I'd probably choose Macrae...

At least we'll still have Treloar next year if the universe depended on a Bulldog kicking for goal (god help us all) from a fairly straightforward spot. Cody is a shout there too.

With the fate of the universe on the line - I'd probably choose Macrae...

At least we'll still have Treloar next year if the universe depended on a Bulldog kicking for goal (god help us all) from a fairly straightforward spot. Cody is a shout there too.
Libba aswell has turned into a reliable shot, they're probably the only four plus potentially Darcy apart from that one off day. In the VFL Bedendo was a really reliable shot but he is gone aswell now.

It goes both ways though - Melbourne can look to rebuild from their current disaster by plopping gun players like Petracca and Pickett on the field last year because Melbourne secured them with long-term contracts, and be in a better position to dig themselves out with players like them there. Both wanted out, but as players, they can't have it both ways - their own security of well-paid long-term contracts if their own form falls away, they wouldn't accept the club asking them to be paid less, so they can hardly go to the club and say the club's "form" of sorts has also fallen.

Nah, the clubs would never pay a cent under what a contract stipulates that has been agreed by both parties. Both parties anre agreeing to those terms and the risks both ways at the time of signing. Players will never get $1 less than that contract stipulates wherever they play, or if they play at all. Alternatively, the current system allows the players and managers to manipulate and leverage the system where they try to top-up if the player outperforms the signed agreement…..or the market changes. I’m not saying players shouldn’t be traded under contract, i’m simply saying the AFL should remove the ability for breaking contracts to be financially incentivised.

I think the days of us having to rest a midfielder at HFF are coming to an end. Was basically a necessity for us for a long time with the number of midfielders we had on the list. We may choose to keep foing it in the future but I dont think we'll be forced to do it the way we have been.

I'd much rather actually recruit a couple of genuine mid/fwd hybrid players of which there seems to be a tonne in this draft. As opposed to our history of trying to use old fashioned centremen like Dunkley and Macrae or Smith who may as well as been a winger from a gamestyle point of view.

It really doesn't have to be an either/or thing though. It can be both true that Vandermeer has severe limitations, but there's one element of his game (the often memed repeat sprint) that very few of our other players on our team have, and, structurally, you need a player capable of doing that on the field, otherwise you get overrun from opposition's full length ball movement, like we were several times in 2022.

I thought he was playing this unrewarded running role in 2022 as well, or has he just perfected it now?

Macrae leaving is perfectly reasonable. Many players requests to move clubs while in contract are reasonable and should be facilitated. I don’t think that monetary gain or using an opposition clubs offer to gain leverage to renegotiate an existing contract is reasonable.
I agree and their club should tell them to **** off or demand a premium trade because the base case is retaining them on an attractively priced contract. If clubs are forced to take unders to clear out an overpriced contract they should reasonably demand overs to shift an under-priced deal.

Have a gut feeling that Garcia is going to want out but hope he stays on board.
How good are Garcia, West, McNeil, Artie Jones, VDM, Daniel, Scott as mids, wingers, or small forwards? These guys really do not convince me as replacements for the likes of Libba and McRae? I think they are pretty mediocre. Maybe I am being too critical but none of them convince me that much as critical for us to win a flag. Am I being overly critical here? Comments?

How good are Garcia, West, McNeil, Artie Jones, VDM, Daniel, Scott as mids, wingers, or small forwards? These guys really do not convince me as replacements for the likes of Libba and McRae? I think they are pretty mediocre. Maybe I am being too critical but none of them convince me that much as critical for us to win a flag. Am I being overly critical here? Comments?
West and Garcia played some good games together in the middle this year... you're also forgetting Sanders who will be very good.

We will draft midfielders this year as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No De Koning in for Geelong for Saturday.

Christ almighty, if that was a Dogs player of his stature there'd be 23 articles about "trouble at the kennel" and "Bevo risks upsetting his stars to play favourites".

How the hell do we get Geelong level of lack of gossip, fear-mongering and rhetoric?

Come to the Dogs, Sam, we'll play you in a Prelim.

No De Koning in for Geelong for Saturday.

Christ almighty, if that was a Dogs player of his stature there'd be 23 articles about "trouble at the kennel" and "Bevo risks upsetting his stars to play favourites".

How the hell do we get Geelong level of lack of gossip, fear-mongering and rhetoric?

Come to the Dogs, Sam, we'll play you in a Prelim.
Chris Scott is a God in the eyes of the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back