Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

No De Koning in for Geelong for Saturday.

Christ almighty, if that was a Dogs player of his stature there'd be 23 articles about "trouble at the kennel" and "Bevo risks upsetting his stars to play favourites".

How the hell do we get Geelong level of lack of gossip, fear-mongering and rhetoric?

Come to the Dogs, Sam, we'll play you in a Prelim.
it wouldnt have been a story because he would never have got dropped if he played for us!

Is it the 3 talls that necessitate this or the fact we always roll a HFF up to midfield? If we just play with 6 forwards might we not need to compromise the ability to kick a goal from 30m right in front for repeat sprint ability?
We tried that in 2022. Teams just walked the ball out of our defense.

How good are Garcia, West, McNeil, Artie Jones, VDM, Daniel, Scott as mids, wingers, or small forwards? These guys really do not convince me as replacements for the likes of Libba and McRae? I think they are pretty mediocre. Maybe I am being too critical but none of them convince me that much as critical for us to win a flag. Am I being overly critical here? Comments?
Comparing utilities with guys who can't play that well outside of the centre isn't really a fair comparison when we're actively searching for centre mids at the draft and trade table this year.

We BADLY need someone like SDK. Imagine him instead of JOD on Calsher Dear, for instance.

Then replaces Jones 2026 for the next 7 years.
With the way the ball was coming in it wouldn't have mattered who was down there

We BADLY need speed up the ground who has even the slightest ability to handle the ball cleanly and hit a target

How many rubbish games short of 100 did his father Terry play for us? Boy, those Bulldogs teams of the early 80s were tough to watch.

Like 70 games short, Georgiades was about 85, Rance was about 50.

The only one that I'm pretty sure got close but not close enough was Bruce Reid.

Last edited:
With the way the ball was coming in it wouldn't have mattered who was down there

We BADLY need speed up the ground who has even the slightest ability to handle the ball cleanly and hit a target

Maybe Jhe Clark 20year old midfielder pick 8 in the draft. If it was a straight swap we would still be getting unders but it would fill a need.

Like 70 games, Georgiades was about 85, Rance was about 50.

The only one that I'm pretty sure got close but not close enough was Bruce Reid.
How many rubbish games short of 100 did his father Terry play for us? Boy, those Bulldogs teams of the early 80s were tough to watch.
De Konning played 31 games
Rance 40 games
Georgiades 15 games

I would fully expect a player coming alongside a pick for Bailey Smith

Geelong don't want to offload their future pick atm
Probs have their sights on a big fish next year

Like 70 games, Georgiades was about 85, Rance was about 50.

De Konning played 31 games
Rance 40 games
Georgiades 15 games

Was just about to reply to this.

Georgiades was like a shooting star.

He kicked 8 in his first game and 5 in his third, in r1 and r3 in 1989. Played seven other games that year, which totalled 6 goals. That was under Malthouse.

3 more so-so games under Wheeler in 1990, then 3 more in 1991, only 1 of which was notable (4 goals).

He was a tall flanker, but his 8 goal first game set unrealistic expectations that he was never going to fulfil. (He got 3 brownlow votes in both the 8goal and 5 goal games in 89 too.)

Rance only played 2 seasons with us before being lured home to the Eagles in their second year. He and McGuinness were 2 big signings in 86 off our successful 85.

Was just about to reply to this.

Georgiades was like a shooting star.

He kicked 8 in his first game and 5 in his third, in r1 and r3 in 1989. Played seven other games that year, which totalled 6 goals. That was under Malthouse.

3 more so-so games under Wheeler in 1990, then 3 more in 1991, only 1 of which was notable (4 goals).

He was a tall flanker, but his 8 goal first game set unrealistic expectations that he was never going to fulfil. (He got 3 brownlow votes in both the 8goal and 5 goal games in 89 too.)

Rance only played 2 seasons with us before being lured home to the Eagles in their second year. He and McGuinness were 2 big signings in 86 off our successful 85.

Once Georgiades was worked out by opposition teams - which didn't take long - his limitations were laid bare. Handy player, but no right foot and as slow as a wet week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West and Garcia played some good games together in the middle this year... you're also forgetting Sanders who will be very good.

We will draft midfielders this year as well
West and Garcia played small minutes in the mid.

West has become a much better player when he focused on improving his small forward craft with an occasional run in the middle.

If Garcia is to become a more consistent AFL player he needs to do the same.

Neither will be mid solutions

If De Koning was available and we weren’t willing to spend the Macrae money on him we’d be nuts. I realise we’ve got a lot of talls as it is but he’d basically replace Rory Lobb and is 8 years younger.
Completely agree. Jones and Lobb are both just about finished. SDK on the key forward and Busslinger intercepting as second tall would be ideal long term. JOD still looks promising and with his agility, adds flexibility. SDK makes a big upgrade for our present and future - would just be dependant on how the club sees our current talls and the future setup with Croft/Naughton/JUH/Darcy

Completely agree. Jones and Lobb are both just about finished. SDK on the key forward and Busslinger intercepting as second tall would be ideal long term. JOD still looks promising and with his agility, adds flexibility. SDK makes a big upgrade for our present and future - would just be dependant on how the club sees our current talls and the future setup with Croft/Naughton/JUH/Darcy
Jones yes, Lobb no.
Club seem pretty bullish on Lobb playing into his mid 30s

I would fully expect a player coming alongside a pick for Bailey Smith

Geelong don't want to offload their future pick atm
Probs have their sights on a big fish next year
Looking at their OOC list, the only player among that we may have interest in is Clohesy. Seems like a defensive forward type but I haven't seen him play too much.

The problem with SDK is that he's a young, contracted and highly-rated key position player that on an open market would be worth more than an uncontracted, young and very good mid coming off an ACL.

He would unquestionably improve us, but the prospect of attaching another asset to Smith, when we already don't have a first round pick this year, and not getting a midfielder in return would be in my opinion a terrible list management decision.

Midweek tackle saying Macrae won’t come cheap for saints, Dogs are adamant in a good pick for him (probably 24)
This is the only circumstance under which I'd let him go, as a contracted player.

I don't buy the "game has gone past him" or "he's on the decline" rhetoric at all. He played at the same level he always has when asked to play as a half forward. You slot him into a team that needs a high volume inside-outside link and he will be back to being a hugely impactful player.

I would still be playing him in the midfield more than Beveridge is, but regardless of that difference in opinion, he is going to be critical depth for us next year at worst. We need to get a useful asset out of it and if we don't I'm not interested.

We aren't really being linked to anyone. Why is that?
We've been linked to a few players, Peatling most strongly. We presented to Houston as well but Carlton are the front runners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back