Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

or Iljia Grigic

I remember as a kid I had a little bulldog mascot toy/statue thing. I used a white out pen to put Grgic’s number on the back of it.

From memory, it was purely cos I liked him because of his name being so different lol. I think he was number 28 or something like that.

Some things I remember so vividly even as a young kid, others annoy me - like players & numbers. My mum is really good as sewing, so she would put numbers on my guernseys. It was back in the WO days, but I used to go with my dad into the rooms to get signatures. I had a random favourite player and got his number, 43 or something like that. He changed numbers from one season to another and I met him the following season and legit cried because of it in front of him lollll

I can’t remember who it was though! Legit could have been a (respectfully) random, no mark player who probably played about 15 games for all I know.

tl;dr, this post just brought back some nostalgia because of a name

At least we got a guy who could play every week on the wing...right?

Read it and weep.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1223432...63Y6g8SKNEN1Qca0LA_aem_02BZO4jFjudIEHTzvRlv3w

460717337_955050349998116_1569571645474378152_n.jpg

Hard to make a call on any player from a small sample and that is both way whether they make it or don’t

Jury is out on Mannagh there were signs in yesterday’s game and his career thus far that suggest yes read and weep but there are also signs to suggest there are reasons to not pick him.

Wait for a larger sample before one’s pick is determined whether it’s a good one .

Collingwood supporters are actually delusional if they believe they are getting one of GC's first rounders for Noble.
It’s to do with points, they need a surplus of points for academy players. The talk is a bevy of picks with Noble will come back.
They don’t need high picks to get academy players, they need multiple picks.
That’s second hand because I questioned exactly the same deal. 🤷‍♂️

Butters grew up in the Western Suburbs, played for the Western Jets, supported the Dogs as a kid, and was a top draft pick that ended up drafted interstate and has turned into a very good player.

Excluding the "supported the Dogs as a kid" element, there's a very short list of players that all of those factors are also true, and we typically are linked to those players ... for precisely the reason we can offer things that other clubs can't (like living close to family and the club).

That list of players, going back to the 2011-12 expansion era, is very short:

Zak Butters
Xavier O'Halloran
Cam Rayner
Daniel Venables
Liam Duggan
Will Hoskin-Elliott

We've genuinely been linked to all of those players at some stage.

The very fact that we haven't been able to get any of those seven players over the line is more just representing nuances case-by-case and a small sample size of players:

Butters: heavily involved
O'Halloran: we've been heavily linked and some in the know posters have suggested we were on the edge of recruiting him in more than one off-season recently
Rayner: we've been heavily linked
Venables: Concussion ended his career before whether he would want to move back to Melbourne or not would be relevant
Duggan: We were heavily linked early in his career. Eagles were able to keep him by basically paying him all the money they got off their books when their six or seven million dollar per year premiership players' contracts expired over the last few years
Hoskin-Elliott: He was traded in the 2016-17 offseason in the same time that he was a talented young player being pushed out of a top GWS team wanting more opportunity. Given we traded out Koby Stevens and Nathan Hrovat that same off-season we were never going to trade for a player like Hoskin-Elliott when we could have just kept one of those two players with the same vague age/ability.
Butters was overlooked by us in the draft, we took Baz.
Why would he show any loyalty or desire going to a club who didn’t rate him in the first place?

Call me salty but it would be pretty funny to watch Dunkley lose his 3rd Grand Final.

Even funnier when the context is he went to that club to be the Number 1 Midfielder and now he's just a tagger (aka Failed Midfielder à la Kane Cornes).
And yet there he is in a Grand Final and we are still mediocre.

Outlandish suggestion but should we look at what Jamarra might get us?

We are overstocked for KPF's. His accuracy seems like a permanent problem. Seems a bit mentally fragile at times. His value is probably at it's peak in terms of draft picks...

Is it worth trading one of the KPF's out to get a better balance across the whole side?

And yet there he is in a Grand Final and we are still mediocre.
Picking up Dunkley is a key reason why Brisbane are playing in a 2nd Grand Final in a row after they gave up very little for him.

In such a tight competition at the top, I hope Sam Power has learnt his lesson and drives a much harder bargain this time around. Bailey Smith is the difference between PF loss and GF win for Geelong, so pay up!

We are overstocked for KPF's. His accuracy seems like a permanent problem. Seems a bit mentally fragile at times. His value is probably at it's peak in terms of draft picks...

Is it worth trading one of the KPF's out to get a better balance across the whole side?
At 22, he is averaging the 3rd highest shots at goal per game just behind Cameron and Curnow. Rather than shipping him off, let's invest in the right coaching to get the best out of him.

At 22, he is averaging the 3rd highest shots at goal per game just behind Cameron and Curnow. Rather than shipping him off, let's invest in the right coaching to get the best out of him.
Spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please
Not another 10 pages of this stuff

The new points index looks alot better then the current one. Starting next year pick 55 and beyond won't have any picks attached and the later picks are given alot less points then previous. This year points stop at pick 74.

Attachments

• CurrentModel-1068x858.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
  • NewModel-1068x840.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 0

I think that at some point we will look to cash in on one of our talls and turn them into some serious draft and/or trade capital.

Whoever that player is, I think the optimum time to do that is when their peak is in sight and it's pretty clear that they are going to reach it.

We aren't going to trade Darcy, for instance, becuase it's pretty clear that he is a generational talent and his trajectory to that is already there.

Not suggesting we trade JUH but I think there are some question marks as to whether he fully realises his prodigious ability.

I think we need to be clearer on where he lands before we contemplate anything.

I think that at some point we will look to cash in on one of our talls and turn them into some serious draft and/or trade capital.
I tend to agree with this, and think it would be a shrewd move.

Right now isn't the time though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back