Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Smith for 15 & 35
Trade 32 & 35 for 20 & 46
Trade Macrae and pay 400k of his salary for 24
Trade 44 & 46 to Dons for 28
Go in with 15, 20, 24, 28,
Get Hotton, Hynes, Moraes, Oliver.
Yeah, not sure anyone is going to trade 20 & 46 for 32 & 35. Drop back 12 spots so you can make up 11 later on?
Same for 28 for 44 & 46

Smith for 15 & 35
Macrae & 35 for 24 & 43

That leaves 15, 24, 32, 43 & 44 plus whatever we can get for Garcia

Young men’s brains don’t fully mature until around age 25 (fact), so is it worth hanging onto JUH for another couple of years in the hope that he will settle into 100% commitment to his career, or cut him now in case it doesn’t happen?
I've seen some estimates that it's close to 30, but you're right there are young players that have made significant changes in off-field behavior throughout their career. I'd be confident that his professionalism and on-field consistency is improved in a few years.

That being said, I think the other main consideration for the club would have to be the list balance, and whether overall performance is best served with two star KPF's + another star in a current position of need, rather than loading up on three star KPF's (not to mention Croft).

Young men’s brains don’t fully mature until around age 25 (fact), so is it worth hanging onto JUH for another couple of years in the hope that he will settle into 100% commitment to his career, or cut him now in case it doesn’t happen?
Someone involved in the club recently told me that they believe he has leadership credentials. The conversation went along the lines:
Me: I think Freijah might be a future captain.
Them: I think Jamarra will be.
Me: Really!
Them: Yeah, there is something about him.

This surprised me too. As usual - take this for what it is worth.

There was a period of about 5 weeks where Marra was the best forward in the comp. If your not seeing the improvement year on year you're not paying enough attention.

The bigger concern for us is the structure of our list. Too many key position players earning or will earn 1m + whilst the demands of the modern game suggest that we should be investing in midfielders/ small forwards. Being able to apply pressure + turnovers are king in September. I'm not sure we have the right list profile to excel in this area.

Either way, next year is a big one for JUH
The big thing for the club is if he is giving a strong indication about re-signing or not. We can't be going through another Bailey Smith situation in 2026

Teams will be coming for him again with Mac Andrew type deals that he already turned down this year. If we aren't prepared to give out something huge for whatever reason, the hard call has to be made before we get offered one shit late pick

Last edited:
Not a slight at anyone, but I think there’s some purple monkey dishwasher happening re JUH.

For anybody over 25 see explanation of the above below :)

The phrase "purple monkey dishwasher" is a reference from an episode of The Simpsons, where a message is passed along through a long chain of people and ends up being distorted into something nonsensical and unrelated to the original message. It's often used to describe a situation where information gets miscommunicated or exaggerated as it's passed from person to person, much like a game of "telephone."

In your example, someone is saying, "Not a slight at anyone, but I think there’s some purple monkey dishwasher happening re JUH." This means they aren't blaming or criticizing anyone specifically, but they believe that something about "JUH" is being misunderstood, miscommunicated, or distorted as it spreads.

I would argue we sold high on Stringer. Leverage on the trade otherwise aside his output for Essendon has not matched what we got in a trade and his lack of defensive accountability has undone all of his goalkicking. It was only in retrospect, after the trade, that it became just how clear why we were pushing him out.
In hindsight we did when you look at Stringer's overall output since he has played for Essendon. Beats up on crap teams, goes missing it counts and every off-season turns up to pre-season out of shape and barely able to run a lap. Having Ed Richards as the lasting asset from the trade is a 10/10 win if you are evaluating who won the trade.

Unless you're Geelong and Tim Kelly...
That was a perfect storm of Kelly wanting to go back to WA the second he was drafted but not kicking up a sook and playing extremely well.

Correct

They are a on/off thing ATM
Remembering my youth (a looooooong time ago) that sort of on/off thing can be really destabilising…. I really don’t want JUH to leave. I see Naughton playing a more flexible CHF/ CHB role over the coming years leaving JUH and Darcy deep in the 50. Gives us an option to mould Croft into whatever we need him to be.

The phrase "purple monkey dishwasher" is a reference from an episode of The Simpsons, where a message is passed along through a long chain of people and ends up being distorted into something nonsensical and unrelated to the original message. It's often used to describe a situation where information gets miscommunicated or exaggerated as it's passed from person to person, much like a game of "telephone."

In your example, someone is saying, "Not a slight at anyone, but I think there’s some purple monkey dishwasher happening re JUH." This means they aren't blaming or criticizing anyone specifically, but they believe that something about "JUH" is being misunderstood, miscommunicated, or distorted as it spreads.
Thanks Ms Krabappel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know you’re old when your references require deciphering like an ancient Egyptian Hieroglyph.

In less enlightened times we called it Chinese Whispers 🤪

If we could snag 3 1st rounders for Baz and Marra, which I think is a reasonable expectation, we could almost solve our future list issues in one off season.

One player almost doesn’t exist at the club anyway, and the other is playing a line we have ample players in. Makes decent sense from a list management perspective.

Slightly left field, perhaps, and I know it's come up before, but I'd be giving Marra a run in the middle now and again.

He strikes me as a bloke who needs to be kept in the game. In the EF, after his slow start, I was hoping he'd get a few CBAs to get him warm.

Solve a few problems if it worked, wouldn't it?

I really don’t get Saints supporters turning their nose up at giving up anything of value for Macrae. Their midfield was monstered in the contest this year, it was genuinely pathetic, and he’d improve that significantly.
The fact one of them said "he'd be lucky to get the Dogs pick 43" or something alike, with such confidence.

He isn't being pushed out, he isn't out of form. He has chosen to leave to pursue more game time, his disposals only dropped off due to being moved out of the midfield, to less ball friendly roles, and being a sub heaps. He was moved out because we are stacked with slow inside extractors. Needed to boost the leg speed that is all. He is a former AA, who has a few runs in his legs left in him. If the Saints have at least a couple of quicker outside guys, he and Steele can easily fit in the middle together. At the least he will significantly increase their clearance numbers.

The fact one of them said "he'd be lucky to get the Dogs pick 43" or something alike, with such confidence.

He isn't being pushed out, he isn't out of form. He has chosen to leave to pursue more game time, his disposals only dropped off due to being moved out of the midfield, to less ball friendly roles, and being a sub heaps. He was moved out because we are stacked with slow inside extractors. Needed to boost the leg speed that is all. He is a former AA, who has a few runs in his legs left in him. If the Saints have at least a couple of quicker outside guys, he and Steele can easily fit in the middle together. At the least he will significantly increase their clearance numbers.

Pick 24 or he stays

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back