Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Slightly left field, perhaps, and I know it's come up before, but I'd be giving Marra a run in the middle now and again.

He strikes me as a bloke who needs to be kept in the game. In the EF, after his slow start, I was hoping he'd get a few CBAs to get him warm.

Solve a few problems if it worked, wouldn't it?
Agree. I know it's a bit cliche but Marra has Bont like movement/smoothness

The fact one of them said "he'd be lucky to get the Dogs pick 43" or something alike, with such confidence.

He isn't being pushed out, he isn't out of form. He has chosen to leave to pursue more game time, his disposals only dropped off due to being moved out of the midfield, to less ball friendly roles, and being a sub heaps. He was moved out because we are stacked with slow inside extractors. Needed to boost the leg speed that is all. He is a former AA, who has a few runs in his legs left in him. If the Saints have at least a couple of quicker outside guys, he and Steele can easily fit in the middle together. At the least he will significantly increase their clearance numbers.

They’re lucky that a quality inside mid is surplus at another club. Otherwise just draft some mids at 7 & 8 and wait a few years whilst their midfield keeps getting shat on in the meantime.

Haven't heard anything re: Marra, and I'd assume I would considering my player manager contact has his finger on the pulse this time of year.

If the club gets its knickers in a twist the second we have a player with a slight personality issue and they want to ship them off for a packet of chips because they are deemed ''too hard'' might as well shut us down now, we're already on the cusp of being the ''goody goody Bulldogs'' and it shows on field, to nice, no edge. Time and time again I see this board crying out for players who show some spirit and fight on the field, who play with some balls, and sometimes that comes with off field personalities that are a bit rough around the edges.

Biggs, Redpath, Dalhousie, Stringer, Hunter, Cordy, C. Smith, (young) Libba, these guys were all big personalities off the field but they played their hearts out for us on the field, and in their prime they were clearly unstoppable, I bet most people here would trade some of our current players for these guys if we could.

Most certainly think people need to stop, and take a big deep breath before posting sometimes.

Haven't heard anything re: Marra, and I'd assume I would considering my player manager contact has his finger on the pulse this time of year.

If the club gets its knickers in a twist the second we have a player with a slight personality issue and they want to ship them off for a packet of chips because they are deemed ''too hard'' might as well shut us down now, we're already on the cusp of being the ''goody goody Bulldogs'' and it shows on field, to nice, no edge. Time and time again I see this board crying out for players who show some spirit and fight on the field, who play with some balls, and sometimes that comes with off field personalities that are a bit rough around the edges.

Biggs, Redpath, Dalhousie, Stringer, Hunter, Cordy, C. Smith, (young) Libba, these guys were all big personalities off the field but they played their hearts out for us on the field, and in their prime they were clearly unstoppable, I bet most people here would trade some of our current players for these guys if we could.

Most certainly think people need to stop, and take a big deep breath before posting sometimes.

Problem is that Marra has the of field issues and DOES NOT have the consistent on field traits of those players you listed.

I trust the club to do the right thing.

I don't think we will hear Smith news today, or any real news in general today given its the Brownlow tonight. People don't want to take the spotlight away from that. Wouldn't even surprise me if nothing comes out until after the Grand Final either.

Pick 24 or he stays

Honestly I think his contract off the books for the next few years is just as important as any pick we'll get.

I love Macrae and think he was underutilised this season. I'm fine with him being behind our main four midfielders but he should get opportunities when they are out or when they are off. I think he still has a couple of years of being a great midfielder.

But Bevo clearly thinks those days are past him. Maybe he is right, maybe he is wrong. He's not good at the half forward rolling up role that we've played him in the past two seasons. If the plan is to keep him in that role then I'd rather free up cap space.

I know the draft can be hit and miss even at the top end. But I still chuckle when I think Saints passed on ALL of Bont, Astro and Petracca.

Billings over Bont.
McCartin over Petracca (and A.Brayshaw)
Both Clark and Coffield over Naughton.

Bont, Petracca and Brayshaw all.played in flags, Naughton in a GF.

Clark is the only player on that list that has stayed at Moorabbin (so far). Possibly unlucky with McCartin and concussion issues. Oh well.

What off field issues? I haven't seen anything remotely reliable suggesting he has them.

I think the major one atm is the company he keeps, and reportedly (including by several posters on here) the discomfort of club officials when he has brought the same acquaintances into the rooms post-match. The inference is also these have been linked through his boxing. Not sure if/where his family sits in this scenario, and may be inflated somewhat when you add BF as the reporting tool, but he is only 22, so even if slightly blown out of proportion in terms of his company, hopefully he gets some guidance... and takes it on board.

Fwiw, I don't want him traded. But how the game evolves may make it problematic trying to fit JUH, Astro and Darcy into both the forward line and the salary cap in future. Alternative would be to ruck Darcy, but then English is now on a long-term contract as well...

I know the draft can be hit and miss even at the top end. But I still chuckle when I think Saints passed on ALL of Bont, Astro and Petracca.

Billings over Bont.

Clark is the only player on that list that has stayed at Moorabbin (so far). Possibly unlucky with McCartin and concussion issues. Oh well.

I wonder how many flags Bont and Petracca have together in an alternate timeline.

Bont was awful in hindsight but understandable at the time. Think that's just a good pick by Dalrymple and team rather than a bad pick by the ones before him. Think Collingwood were keen but no one else in the top 10 were big on him which seems weird looking back now. First I really remember of Bont was a VFL game after he got dropped from his first few games and he kicked like four goals in the first quarter and straightaway you knew the kid just got it and he wouldn't play VFL again.

McCartin over Petracca was a bad pick, even withstanding concussion issues. Petracca was the consensus number one all year and then just before the draft they decided that a good big is better than a big small and went with McCartin. Did not pay off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we trade Marra out you can trade me out as well

I fully understand this take. And as stated above, I don't want to see him traded, I want to see him guided and advised. Other than his goalkicking accuracy, he is an incredibly skilled player. Needs some guidance and realisation that the commitment he's shown at times this year to work hard without the ball should be unconditional. Hopefully Bevo/the club are working on that, rather than the option of trading him out. Martin, DeGoey and others have stabilised their lives/careers (not suggesting JUH is in their league of off field indiscretions btw), and some of that probably comes with natural maturity.

I wonder how many flags Bont and Petracca have together in an alternate timeline.

Bont was awful in hindsight but understandable at the time. Think that's just a good pick by Dalrymple and team rather than a bad pick by the ones before him. Think Collingwood were keen but no one else in the top 10 were big on him which seems weird looking back now. First I really remember of Bont was a VFL game after he got dropped from his first few games and he kicked like four goals in the first quarter and straightaway you knew the kid just got it and he wouldn't play VFL again.

McCartin over Petracca was a bad pick, even withstanding concussion issues. Petracca was the consensus number one all year and then just before the draft they decided that a good big is better than a big small and went with McCartin. Did not pay off.

Not sure Bont was 'awful' as a pick. Surprising yes, but his late season u18 form was building. Pies were certainly in the mix, didn't think he was seen as much of a reach by draft day?

Not sure Bont was 'awful' as a pick. Surprising yes, but his late season u18 form was building. Pies were certainly in the mix, didn't think he was seen as much of a reach by draft day?

Sorry, I meant not selecting Bont at pick 3 was awful in hindsight but understandable at the time. I never meant to imply that Bont was awful at any time, he'd played perhaps the best school footy game of all time.

Pies were going to take him at 6 so yeah wasn't a reach. But more than a few anonymous recruiters said they wouldn't have taken him in the top 10.

The Bont VFL game you were thinking of was before his debut in 2014.

Great time to be a Ruckman

Utterly ridiculous. I understand needing depth but why waste a list spot on a soon to be 33 year old that's never really performed at AFL level.

Just take a punt on literally any mature age ruckman under 25 from the state league and you'll get the same result with at least a chance of some upside.

Despite the potential upside Bont was considered a outside the top 10 pick largely because his simple raw output at TAC level etc was not at top 10 level. He rose up through the top 4 in large part because club interviews saw him as an utmost professional, even as a 17/18 year old kid, that would be able to get the most of his potential and would be low-risk in doing anything untoward.

Billings over Bont.

Clark tried to get to North a couple of years ago too. Saints have had a few late pick successes though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back