Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Utterly ridiculous. I understand needing depth but why waste a list spot on a soon to be 33 year old that's never really performed at AFL level.

Just take a punt on literally any mature age ruckman under 25 from the state league and you'll get the same result with at least a chance of some upside.
If the Dees want good people at the club to start helping their culture, BTC is a very good start.
Only for an extra year at the Saints this year because he's great with the kids.

The Marra stuff is from a reliable source as we know however let’s consider he stays and plays next season as per contract .
By the end of next season he will have a year to run and multi clubs chasing him .
He only choose to sign for two knowing big money offers come end of next season or perhaps even now .
I won’t him to stay however if 10 / 12 mil in salary cap is required between Darcy and Marra its def gong to Darcy .

Tom Campbell is a reflection of how little clubs a rate the role outside of their designated ruckman.

They seem happy to fill the backup role with just about anything else. And then get a journeyman to play the role at state league level as a break glass option for the AFL.

It's good work if you can get it and is probably worth a couple hundred grad a year at minimum.

It certainly beats working for a living.

For anybody over 25 see explanation of the above below :)

The phrase "purple monkey dishwasher" is a reference from an episode of The Simpsons, where a message is passed along through a long chain of people and ends up being distorted into something nonsensical and unrelated to the original message. It's often used to describe a situation where information gets miscommunicated or exaggerated as it's passed from person to person, much like a game of "telephone."

In your example, someone is saying, "Not a slight at anyone, but I think there’s some purple monkey dishwasher happening re JUH." This means they aren't blaming or criticizing anyone specifically, but they believe that something about "JUH" is being misunderstood, miscommunicated, or distorted as it spreads.

This is the new pc term for what used to be called Chinese whispers. ...and so the world turns.

[Edit]: late to the party...

By the time it got to me, I heard they were showing Marra around a shop.

Last edited:
Utterly ridiculous. I understand needing depth but why waste a list spot on a soon to be 33 year old that's never really performed at AFL level.

Just take a punt on literally any mature age ruckman under 25 from the state league and you'll get the same result with at least a chance of some upside.
Because there's always an unknown with bringing those players on your list in terms of professionalism, training standards and ability to fit into an AFL training, fitness and general culture regime. You avoid that unknown with Campbell.

It makes sense to me.

I think the major one atm is the company he keeps, and reportedly (including by several posters on here) the discomfort of club officials when he has brought the same acquaintances into the rooms post-match. The inference is also these have been linked through his boxing. Not sure if/where his family sits in this scenario, and may be inflated somewhat when you add BF as the reporting tool, but he is only 22, so even if slightly blown out of proportion in terms of his company, hopefully he gets some guidance... and takes it on board.

Fwiw, I don't want him traded. But how the game evolves may make it problematic trying to fit JUH, Astro and Darcy into both the forward line and the salary cap in future. Alternative would be to ruck Darcy, but then English is now on a long-term contract as well...
If the club has an issue with them ask them to leave the rooms. They have a duty of care to all staff.

Tom Campbell is a reflection of how little clubs a rate the role outside of their designated ruckman.

They seem happy to fill the backup role with just about anything else. And then get a journeyman to play the role at state league level as a break glass option for the AFL.

I’d like us to add another ruck also. Pressure needs to be put on English. And we also need a back up. Smith is at least 2 years off. Lobby deserves to spend a full summer at CHB.
Brisbane must be feeling relieved their break glass ruck option is Darcy Fort and not some untried first or second year ruckman. We need another break glass ruck option - Lachie Smith was monstered by Darcy Fort a few weeks ago and Lobb is 100% a backman now. There's a young VFL ruckman whose name I forget who apparently had a great season and sounds AFL-ready. We could do so much worse for a pick in say the 40s or 50s which might be the last spot on our last.

You hope you don't have to use 'em, but when the glass breaks you need that guy to be able to step up and not get monstered in a key game.

I wonder how many flags Bont and Petracca have together in an alternate timeline.

Bont was awful in hindsight but understandable at the time. Think that's just a good pick by Dalrymple and team rather than a bad pick by the ones before him. Think Collingwood were keen but no one else in the top 10 were big on him which seems weird looking back now. First I really remember of Bont was a VFL game after he got dropped from his first few games and he kicked like four goals in the first quarter and straightaway you knew the kid just got it and he wouldn't play VFL again.

McCartin over Petracca was a bad pick, even withstanding concussion issues. Petracca was the consensus number one all year and then just before the draft they decided that a good big is better than a big small and went with McCartin. Did not pay off.
I think Essendon wanted our 4 as part of the Crameri deal and said they wanted Bont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane must be feeling relieved their break glass ruck option is Darcy Fort and not some untried first or second year ruckman. We need another break glass ruck option - Lachie Smith was monstered by Darcy Fort a few weeks ago and Lobb is 100% a backman now. There's a young VFL ruckman whose name I forget who apparently had a great season and sounds AFL-ready. We could do so much worse for a pick in say the 40s or 50s which might be the last spot on our last.

You hope you don't have to use 'em, but when the glass breaks you need that guy to be able to step up and not get monstered in a key game.

Yep I agree. There is enough list spots that you should have at least one ready to go back up ruck and at least one developing ruck. Not particularly keen on Lobb or Darcy being used as the number one ruck in any circumstance, rather use them at either end of the ground.

I’m sure that Tom Campbell is probably a back up plan for Melbourne if they can’t add anyone better but he’d sure as hell do a better job than the Petty/Van Rooyen combo that had to step in when Max was out this year.

Last edited:
Not sure why people continue to bash English. This year was pretty bad for him but he's had little to no preseason because of concussion issues and had to carry an ankle injury that was hampering his rucking. I expect an improved English next season as long as he has a full preseason.
I truly hope you are correct.

Sorry, I meant not selecting Bont at pick 3 was awful in hindsight but understandable at the time. I never meant to imply that Bont was awful at any time, he'd played perhaps the best school footy game of all time.

Pies were going to take him at 6 so yeah wasn't a reach. But more than a few anonymous recruiters said they wouldn't have taken him in the top 10.
Probably helped that Dalrymple had form in reaching for players. Christian Howard said he nearly fell off his chair when we called him out at 15. Any noise that Dal was sniffing around the Bont at 4 probably got buried under group think and Dal’s history.

And then Dal went on to be a master recruiter.

I’m fascinated to see what he can do with St Kilda / perennial underachievers in the draft.

Not sure why people continue to bash English. This year was pretty bad for him but he's had little to no preseason because of concussion issues and had to carry an ankle injury that was hampering his rucking. I expect an improved English next season as long as he has a full preseason.
And also he had a cast over his wirst

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back