Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

How would people recommend we address our midfield issues if SDK ends up being involved in a Smith trade?

I'm a big fan of his, I just don't know that it's the best use of our assets.

How would people recommend we address our midfield issues if SDK ends up being involved in a Smith trade?

Do what we did with Richards and rotate Freijah in there, Sanders will continue to grow Richards himself is still young

Geelong are having their second meeting with C. Oliver today.

IF they pivot to wanting Oliver over Smith, they will need to give up a player to get both deals done.

So it's SDK or we keep Baz (As much as I actually don't want to keep him anymore).

If Oliver Cats rumours are true then not sure how they get Oliver and Smith done especially if Melbourne demand a player.

Smith may be in for an ego set back if Cats focus on Oliver deal and not him.

And wonder why Bailey has not announced he wants to go to Cats? Maybe he knows Dogs Cats are so far apart and now with Oliver in the frame things will be get interesting

Well, we will have defender issues eventually at the same time given they are ageing. Coff is injury prone and may not make it to begin with.

Do what we did with Richards and rotate Freijah in there, Sanders will continue to grow Richards himself is still young
This. Jones and Lobb will be past it in next year or 2. 204cm KPD don't grow on trees.

We may have to get creative to solve the upcoming midfield issue.

If Oliver Cats rumours are true then not sure how they get Oliver and Smith done especially if Melbourne demand a player.

Smith may be in for an ego set back if Cats focus on Oliver deal and not him.

And wonder why Bailey has not announced he wants to go to Cats? Maybe he knows Dogs Cats are so far apart and now with Oliver in the frame things will be get interesting
Cats are too far down the track with Smith. Can’t see a deal not getting done one way or another

In that scenario, personally I'd be in favour of a more radical move for Butters in a year or two in exchange for one of the key position players. In the meantime just increasing the time of Richards and Sanders further if necessary.

Cats are too far down the track with Smith. Can’t see a deal not getting done one way or another
Cats are too far down the track maybe but I can tell you Dogs aren’t.

Smith Cats Dogs deal is was going to get ugly the Oliver interest makes it even uglier

Smith Cats Dogs deal is was going to get ugly the Oliver interest makes it even uglier
By all media reports the Dogs and Cats are so far off they haven't even started preliminary talks.

If Geelong put it in the ''too hard'' basket and chase Oliver instead (who's been told to look around by Melbourne) then... Makes for a very interesting situation indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I meant was they’ve chased him for 12 months+ and sold him the dream so it would reflect quite poorly on them to not do what it takes to get this deal over the line.

Although I must say it is interesting that Baz has yet to nominate them.

I don’t think it really changes anything, it will just be a slow process. With Smith going so quickly after Dunkley leaving we’re going to have midfield issues. I’m not sure whatever 18yo kid we pick up in the draft would necessarily solve it, you’re probably a 50/50 chance of making the grade at those picks let alone being a star, and there is no guarantee the player we want will even be a midfielder, we’ve got holes elsewhere to fill and if the best available is a half forward, its probably of higher necessity.

I think if you get the chance to get De Koning in for an asset that is already gone, you do it and work it out afterwards.

IF they pivot to wanting Oliver over Smith, they will need to give up a player to get both deals done.

So it's SDK or we keep Baz (As much as I actually don't want to keep him anymore).

What is Oliver's current trade value though? He was genuinely poop this year, especially the second half of the season. Has a huge contract in both years and dollars. He has major drug/culture problems. He might only be a second round pick.

What is Oliver's current trade value though? He was genuinely poop this year, especially the second half of the season. Has a huge contract in both years and dollars. He has major drug/culture problems. He might only be a second round pick.
Geelong could get both deals done with their 2024 and 25 first round picks. If Melbourne want to rid themselves of the contract entirely, then Geelong may get him for nothing (except for the hefty contract).

Even with all the baggage, Melbourne aren't going to let Oliver go for less than a first round pick.

Hopefully we can get 15 + 35 + F2 for Smith and move on quickly.

We've been caught out twice by clubs downgrading / trading away the pick we wanted as they were trying to bring in a bunch of other players (Dunkley and Stringer trades). Screw that.

Can't see Baz with us at the end of the trade period. If deal isn't done with Cats, he'll have to consider other options, which may work out ok for us.

By all media reports the Dogs and Cats are so far off they haven't even started preliminary talks.

If Geelong put it in the ''too hard'' basket and chase Oliver instead (who's been told to look around by Melbourne) then... Makes for a very interesting situation indeed.
Ideal scenario would be that he pivots to a different team, and they are more able/willing to satisfy us

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back