Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

How would people recommend we address our midfield issues if SDK ends up being involved in a Smith trade?

I'm a big fan of his, I just don't know that it's the best use of our assets.
I'm much more worried about structurally getting enough tall timber in especially with Jones and Lobb both older than 30, Jones' form dropping off in the second half of the year, Lobb being no guarantee to be a star there given the limited sample size and the fact he still may be needed in the ruck or up forward.

Midfielders are a bit more malleable. I'm a lot more confident if we were just to say "stuff it, throw Freijah on the ball for half a season and see what happens" then trying to nickel and dime which of Gardner, a young Buss or whatever plays down back.

What does that mean still an employee of the club ?

If so insist he is at BnF with his cotton on suit.
He's still accessing club resources as part of his rehab, for instance, like our physio plans for him.

What is Oliver's current trade value though? He was genuinely poop this year, especially the second half of the season. Has a huge contract in both years and dollars. He has major drug/culture problems. He might only be a second round pick.

Yeah hard to read. Not sure how hard Melbourne are pushing him out.

I always thought he was a little overrated when in the best player of the comp discussions but almost certainly a top 10 midfielder in the comp when his private life wasn’t as messy. I don’t know if you can just throw that out for nothing. In the same boat, with massive contract and what we’ve seen from him in the past 18 months, you’d be brave to trade anything of note for him because there is certainly no guarantee he’ll turn it back around. Could easily see his form continuing to spiral.

I feel like Melbourne’s thinking is, if a team gets desperate (maybe an Adelaide who haven’t made the finals in forever) and gives you something of note you’re happy for them to take him off your hands. If you’re getting nothing good back and its just getting salary off the books I can’t see how thats beneficial for them, just keep him and pray he turns it around.

Smith for SDK this year
Peatling and XOH for our second this year
Butters for 1st and F2 next year.

Problems solvered.

This List Management stuff is a PoP.
If Butters even does come across, it will happen next year I reckon.
Would be interesting if we had the assets to pull of SDK, Peatling and XoH this year then Butters next year as a pre-agent.
If we were to lose Daniel and Macrae, those pick (s) would likely be targeted by GWS.

So essentially this year it could be
Smith for SDK
Peatling/XoH for Daniel/Macrae

Then Butters for 2025 and 2026 Round 1 picks with a 2026 second rounder back our way potentially.

Would be interesting if we had the assets to pull of SDK, Peatling and XoH this year then Butters next year as a pre-agent.
If we were to lose Daniel and Macrae, those pick (s) would likely be targeted by GWS.

Smith for SDK

Then Butters for 2025 and 2026 Round 1 picks with a 2026 second rounder back our way potentially.
I can tell you right now, with 200% confidence.
If Butters even whispers into his managers ear that he had a dream last night of entertaining the thought of coming back to Melbourne, the Dogs will be on it like white on rice.

I’m told, he is target number one and we’ve already put forward frame work of an offer to his management on years/position/money.

But yes, Geelong will come hard also, they’ve also put forward preliminary offers to him.

It will be another genuine shit fight between our clubs next trade period for an established midfielder.

If Butters even whispers into his managers ear that he had a dream last night of entertaining the thought of coming back to Melbourne, the Dogs will be on it like white on rice.

I’m told, he is target number one and we’ve already put forward frame work of an offer to his management on years/position/money.

But yes, Geelong will come hard also, they’ve also put forward preliminary offers to him.

It will be another genuine shit fight between our clubs next trade period for an established midfielder.
offloading circa 2M in salary cap space definitely puts us in a good position to attack the 2025 trade period.

Any response from said manager around the framework? In any case, I wonder if he'd be an UFA or RFA come 2026, and where we are at as a club in our on-field results. I get that getting in early as a pre-agent is critical, but waiting an extra year and not having to give up any trade collateral could also be appealing if we know for sure we are in pole position.

By the end of 2025, Bont will be 29, so we'd definitely need to be shifting gears a bit.
If we were to nab SDK this year, the midfield/wings, small forward and lockdown defender are the main holes we'd need to fill in the coming few years, with a relatively young side all things considered.

I don’t think it really changes anything, it will just be a slow process. With Smith going so quickly after Dunkley leaving we’re going to have midfield issues. I’m not sure whatever 18yo kid we pick up in the draft would necessarily solve it, you’re probably a 50/50 chance of making the grade at those picks let alone being a star, and there is no guarantee the player we want will even be a midfielder, we’ve got holes elsewhere to fill and if the best available is a half forward, its probably of higher necessity.

I think if you get the chance to get De Koning in for an asset that is already gone, you do it and work it out afterwards.
I think people are forgetting about Richards, Sanders, West, Poulter, Garcia, Weightman, Joel, Gags, and Williams. Any mix of these guys can provide the coverage we need for the next year or two. Especially if our forwards and backs play like they did in 2024. Gives us time to trade in or keep developing others through there.

If we end up with 1-2 spare A grade talls it could give us the war chest we need to bring in someone of Butters standard down the track.

Would be amazing if Geelong dump Bazlenka for Clayton Oliver.

Now that would be chuckles !

Won’t happen but we can hope then Norf or Saints will circle and swoop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Twomey, dogs and Saints are a fair way apart for Macrae.

Stuff off Saints ... I'd like him to stay

I have a feeling one of Daniel or Macrae will, we will stand our ground, particularly if we can’t snag OHalloran or Peatling or Garcia chooses to move on

Cats are too far down the track maybe but I can tell you Dogs aren’t.

Smith Cats Dogs deal is was going to get ugly the Oliver interest makes it even uglier
Cats will do whatever they think is in their best interests. If Oliver is a possibility I can absolutely seeing them pivot as they don't have the capital for both.

Melbourne won't let Oliver go for nothing, they won't get a huge haul for him but would still be significant. Could see Baz ending up with an empty dance card if Oliver is actually on the table

I don’t think it really changes anything, it will just be a slow process. With Smith going so quickly after Dunkley leaving we’re going to have midfield issues. I’m not sure whatever 18yo kid we pick up in the draft would necessarily solve it, you’re probably a 50/50 chance of making the grade at those picks let alone being a star, and there is no guarantee the player we want will even be a midfielder, we’ve got holes elsewhere to fill and if the best available is a half forward, its probably of higher necessity.

I think if you get the chance to get De Koning in for an asset that is already gone, you do it and work it out afterwards.
Add known quantities where you can especially one with 8 -10 years ahead of them. Midfield needs work but comes on quicker and Sanders is already in place with a season under the belt.

A number on here were all in on Barass for a premiership tilt. Why not add SDK who can fulfill the same role to a similar level without the injury concerns and a lot more years ahead of him. I would relieve Geelong of there burden even just as a Fork You for poaching one of ours

Smith for SDK

Unless we fall in a massive hole next year, Butters would cost 25 and 26 1sts and we'd be getting a bargain

If Oliver Cats rumours are true then not sure how they get Oliver and Smith done especially if Melbourne demand a player.

Smith may be in for an ego set back if Cats focus on Oliver deal and not him.

And wonder why Bailey has not announced he wants to go to Cats? Maybe he knows Dogs Cats are so far apart and now with Oliver in the frame things will be get interesting
You just know SDK will head to Melbourne as part of an Oliver trade.

So what is the expectation for BnF?
Who knows.

Keep in mind that there's two discussions here. Standard playing contracts and the collective bargaining agreement suggest one thing. We can't preventing him from having reasonable access to club staff and medial things that are a directly related to his fitness etc, but we're under no obligation to invite him to the club B&F - that's not written into player contracts (though obviously it's taken as expected that the club would invite every contracted player except possibly in these scenarios).

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back