Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

The outcome remains the same.

The fans get some kind of weird schadenfreude satisfaction.

The club gets **** all.
Its not about getting **** all, I think there a few šŸ• fans that have a right to question how much an illegal deal has been struck by Cotton On, who sponsor Geelong, to acquiring Bailey.

Most doggy fans, and a good % of opposition supporters knew this deal with Geelong started well over a year ago.

If this deal goes down, what to say Cotton On starting a side deal in place of Marra when his next contract comes up?

Last edited:
Who knows.

Keep in mind that there's two discussions here. Standard playing contracts and the collective bargaining agreement suggest one thing. We can't preventing him from having reasonable access to club staff and medial things that are a directly related to his fitness etc, but we're under no obligation to invite him to the club B&F - that's not written into player contracts (though obviously it's taken as expected that the club would invite every contracted player except possibly in these scenarios).

We should invite him and he should attend to sell the raffle tickets and draw the winner for the hamper

FYI

we have a 2024 NAB Draft & Trade tracker thread, stickied.

Tag me when we have a confirmed trade/draft and I will update the thread accordingly

I'm much more worried about structurally getting enough tall timber in especially with Jones and Lobb both older than 30, Jones' form dropping off in the second half of the year, Lobb being no guarantee to be a star there given the limited sample size and the fact he still may be needed in the ruck or up forward.

Midfielders are a bit more malleable. I'm a lot more confident if we were just to say "stuff it, throw Freijah on the ball for half a season and see what happens" then trying to nickel and dime which of Gardner, a young Buss or whatever plays down back.
We saw Garcia and West take it up to Sydney during the season in the mids

Could easily move Freijah, Weightman in there and find a small forward or hope Jones / Clarke come on.

You cannot say no to SDK because we have Lobb and Jones and Buss coming through. Itā€™s too good to refuse if he isnā€™t cooked in some way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We saw Garcia and West take it up to Sydney during the season in the mids

Could easily move Freijah, Weightman in there and find a small forward or hope Jones / Clarke come on.

You cannot say no to SDK because we have Lobb and Jones and Buss coming through. Itā€™s too good to refuse if he isnā€™t cooked in some way
Second half the first time we played Swans we went with Rhylee, Ryley and Riley for a centre bounces and it looked pretty good.

How would people recommend we address our midfield issues if SDK ends up being involved in a Smith trade?

I'm a big fan of his, I just don't know that it's the best use of our assets.

I believe the ā€œmidfield issuesā€ are a bit overblown. Sure, we need a better pipeline and better options to run through there on occasion, but KPD spots are the hardest to fill and you need to jump at the chance to fill them when the opportunity is there.

Midfielders are easier to find & replace, though it may need to wait a little longer. There are options out there, even if it means taking a stop-gap state league player if concerned about it. Otherwise it just speeds up the development of Sanders & Gallagher in particular, who we played on ball at times during the year.

Iā€™d much rather take something like SDK/Peatling over 1/2 draftees that will be years away, if we canā€™t land a bigger fish to replace Smith this year.

Pretty sure it was reported that Baz has been told he is welcome to attend. Doubt he does though

As my dear wife used to say ā€œsomeone has to be the grown upā€.

Does Cotton On do a line of safety wear? Just say a certain player does go through to the draft, and that player is a Cotton On ambassador and the club that player gets drafted to has a deal with RSEA and that club has requirements on the gear the players wear in photo shoots while the Cotton On deal requires different brand clothing to be worn, contractually would opening that Pandoraā€™s Box reveal a real can of worms?
Massive conflict of interest for players that have sponsorship contracts across 2 companies.
I thought this got dealt with by the AFL after Judd -Visy and Carltank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back