Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

If we get SDK, I would put Lobb on the table for a decent draft pick. His value is probably as high it’s ever going to be.
Not if we want to recruit and retain players. Lobb should in no way be on the table

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we get SDK, I would put Lobb on the table for a decent draft pick. His value is probably as high it’s ever going to be.
Isn't the logic for getting SDK instead of draft picks that we want to try and win next year's flag (and the year after) and SDK does more immediately being part of our best 22, rather than the 10+ year gain from a draft pick?

How does trading out Lobb help that? If Lobb played for another team and with his form and we had a second round pick, we'd be wanting to trade that second round pick for Lobb!

SDK would wonder how he gets into our back 6 right now.

I know Jones will be slowing down but he'd still be first choice. Then there is Busslinger, who needs game time as well.
Easy, SDK will take the man on man role. Which allows Jones and Lobb to be more free with the intercept role. Just means JOD, Buku, Busslinger spend another year developing physically and mentally.

That being said, it would not surprise me if Lobb returns to patchy form next season either. And Busslinger slips in at some point.

Lobb would presumably be swung forward or in the ruck if any of English, Naughton, Darcy or Jamarra is unfit for R1, too. That's any of four players of which only one has to be unfit at a given point in time.

I know Jones will be slowing down but he'd still be first choice. Then there is Busslinger, who needs game time as well.
I love Jones, but his form did taper a little towards the end of the season, I'm not sure SDK wouldn't go past him next season.

What is SDK's tank like, or JOD for that matter. SDK or JOD may play wing.

I don't know, but maybe it's an option. I remember a while ago, we played Geelong and he dominated out forward line. You don't turn down quality if you get the chance.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't the logic for getting SDK instead of draft picks that we want to try and win next year's flag (and the year after) and SDK does more immediately being part of our best 22, rather than the 10+ year gain from a draft pick?

How does trading out Lobb help that? If Lobb played for another team and with his form and we had a second round pick, we'd be wanting to trade that second round pick for Lobb!
That's one element, there's also the fact that any draft pick is a risk. Trading in an established AFL player means you know what you're getting. We'd know pretty well what to expect from him at AFL level but you can never be sure with draftees especially after the top 10-20

You'd be pretty annoyed if you're buss and signed a new contract only for us to chase another young kpd.

What is SDK's tank like, or JOD for that matter. SDK or JOD may play wing.

I don't know, but maybe it's an option. I remember a while ago, we played Geelong and he dominated out forward line. You don't turn down quality if you get the chance.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
SDK on one wing, English on the other. Its time to reinvent the game. When everyone else zigs, we zag. Dogball 2025.

How would people recommend we address our midfield issues if SDK ends up being involved in a Smith trade?

I'm a big fan of his, I just don't know that it's the best use of our assets.
I hear you but sometimes it’s about just getting the best deal. If there was an available gun young mid we liked who was maybe gettable from Geelong I’m sure we’d be all over it.
It’s likely we’ve known for a while, we know exactly what Geelong can/willing to offer, and have had a nudge that SDK maybe unsettled.
We know Baz is leaving so the club may just weigh up that SDK is better than a poor first round pick. Might just be an opportunity, that whilst not perfect, is best we can do. Who knows when the next opportunity comes via a trade, it’s hard for a club our size to get grade A FAs and even grade b/c players nominate other teams. Sometimes we’ve got to get creative even if it’s not an ideal list need.

No to SDK. Rate him, but we have a lot of assets and coin tied up in our talls already. We have two first round picks that haven't played yet, we need to back them in. Butters, Callaghan etc. are the players we should be targeting, not more talls.

No to SDK. Rate him, but we have a lot of assets and coin tied up in our talls already. We have two first round picks that haven't played yet, we need to back them in. Butters, Callaghan etc. are the players we should be targeting, not more talls.
We're tying him up with a bit of risk on our end that he's got a guaranteed six years and may not entirley develop as a footballer.

The actual coin he'll be on isn't significant, but it seems like that six-year certainty is what he's after, not necessarily the money.

We've been quite good at structuring our deals with triggers that can give a bit of a haircut to the contract if they don't kick on and be stars. Naughton for instance with his seven year deal which is about a million a year, if he falls so much out of form that we genuinely drop him or whatever will get paid 100k-200k a year less in the last year or two. Still overpaid a bit relative to a player you're dropping out of your best 22, but you're limiting the damage somewhat.

What if it’s the best we can do out of the Smith trade this year? Would you rather SDK or be last day of trade period and Geelong have traded their first for something else? It’s crap I know but it’s the way the current trade environment is.

Last edited:
What if it’s the best we can do out of the Smith trade this year? Would you rather SDK or be last day of trade period and Geeking have traded their first for something else? It’s crap I know but it’s the way the current trade environment is.

I don't believe Geelong will do it unless we throw something in, would you do that? I think Geelong would get more for SDK then a straight swap for Smith since he's under contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back