Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't believe Geelong will do it unless we throw something in, would you do that? I think Geelong would get more for SDK then a straight swap for Smith since he's under contract.
Not that they couldn't change their mind but Geelong already turned down a straight swap, I don't think either side would be willing to add extra to any deal.
Will SDK and Buss even work as a defensive duo? Both are a bit slow.
I'd hope the quality of disposal and marking power they offer counter act any lack of speed.

I don't believe Geelong will do it unless we throw something in, would you do that? I think Geelong would get more for SDK then a straight swap for Smith since he's under contract.
I probably wouldn’t but I’m not balls deep into Smith and Oliver like Geelong are. Straight swaps are very rare though.

Not that they couldn't change their mind but Geelong already turned down a straight swap, I don't think either side would be willing to add extra to any deal.
Could change though if SDK convinces the Cats that he wants to leave (accepting that he's in contract for one more year) if we keep being in his ear over the coming weeks though.

If I was them, I'd offer him up to Carlton or maybe a St kilda as they would get more for him. They would get two firsts for him probably. Then trade a 1st and 2nd to us. Smart business.
Yep, at least the club is trying something else instead of just accepting whatever Geelong have. Dunkley was a bitter pill to swallow when Brisbane just split their picks. Clubs like us get fecked over.

I have a feeling one of Daniel or Macrae will, we will stand our ground, particularly if we can’t snag OHalloran or Peatling or Garcia chooses to move on
Daniel isn’t going hasn’t requested a trade and from what i have heard won’t be asking for a trade.
Garcia hasn’t asked either. Not sure how that goes but i think with eagles getting a few ex tigers and maybe dev robertson he stays with us.

Have been told Oliver to Geelong is very likely, with Geelong paying 700k of his yearly salary. It'd leave what will range between 300-500k for Melbourne to pay per year for the rest of his deal. Geelong have offered pick 35.

And Melbourne has or is likely to accept this?

If so they certainly want him out or should get Cats to pay more of the salary given its pick 35 also Cats are going to give.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Jones, but his form did taper a little towards the end of the season, I'm not sure SDK wouldn't go past him next season.
His form did taper because of genuine fatigue. Same as Libba. They weren’t rested throughout the season. Hence why SDK would be a vital piece of the puzzle… allows Jones to rest, buss to also come along and play games is a must too. Needs to have afl experience now!

I’ll be at the BnF tomorrow night real close to the players so I’ll report in with any shit I hear.

And if you don’t hear any make it up please keep us entertained

His form did taper because of genuine fatigue. Same as Libba. They weren’t rested throughout the season. Hence why SDK would be a vital piece of the puzzle… allows Jones to rest, buss to also come along and play games is a must too. Needs to have afl experience now!

AFL industry needs to start to think like EPL in many ways.
EPL it’s the squad that is vital not the players who take to the field in the big games

AFL should increase list sizes and play 34 round season and limit the games each player can play in a home and away season
Eg Bont can only play in 28 games therefore he misses 6 games and it is the squad that wins the season

So what’s the theory as to why Baz hasn’t nominated the Cats yet? Seems really strange.
Id like to think it’s because the afl is genuinely looking into the concerns this has been planned for a couple of years which coincides with Bailey’s cotton on deal. Oliver news is more likely.

And Melbourne has or is likely to accept this?

If so they certainly want him out or should get Cats to pay more of the salary given its pick 35 also Cats are going to give.
I'm sure Melbourne would want more (either picks or salary relief) and likely get a little more given it was a first offer but doubt they get a great deal more.

AFL industry needs to start to think like EPL in many ways.
EPL it’s the squad that is vital not the players who take to the field in the big games

AFL should increase list sizes and play 34 round season and limit the games each player can play in a home and away season
Eg Bont can only play in 28 games therefore he misses 6 games and it is the squad that wins the season
The EPL doesn’t limit how many games a player can play.

I'm not sure I'd be wanting Oliver's output, culture aside, at 700k a year over the next six. He's a shadow of his former self and you may as well just pay Perryman his 900k/

Id like to think it’s because the afl is genuinely looking into the concerns this has been planned for a couple of years which coincides with Bailey’s cotton on deal. Oliver news is more likely.
Or he and his manager know Dogs are way too far apart and need to get some common ground before it becomes messy badly

The EPL doesn’t limit how many games a player can play.
My point is the EPL team managers rest players, give them time off in busy schedules and rely on the squad to keep winning

The EPL doesn’t limit players games per season because the managers do it for the betterment of the side. AFL doesn’t have that in its psyche so you would need a rule to stop the noise of media, managers saying season too long,players burn out etc etc

Often in big games they rest players because of scheduling.

I'm sure Melbourne would want more (either picks or salary relief) and likely get a little more given it was a first offer but doubt they get a great deal more.
If the cats are smart they give up the future second. Then they can use the afl rules that they're not allowed to involve their future first in the Smith trade

My point is the EPL team managers rest players, give them time off in busy schedules and rely on the squad to keep winning

Often in big games they rest players because of scheduling.
They do, they also play 2 games a week plus internationals. I get your point though. An afl home and away fixture that tests depth of list would be interesting. Although in the uk the teams have long argued for less games so you see the best players more often and for longer.

If the cats are smart they give up the future second. Then they can use the afl rules that they're not allowed to involve their future first in the Smith trade
Yep, oh look we can only offer what we have or are allowed. It’s a ridiculous system.
I honestly believe Geelong know it’s stupid, know it has to get changed, so are just going at everything they can while they can. All they have to do is get a player to “nominate” them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back