Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL media is one of the best immature in the sporting world.

Guys like Morris, McClure & Twomey try so hard to be like the NBA/NFL breaking news journalists.

I don’t think it’s worth worrying about unless it’s a nomination for a club from a player.

There was about 5 different reports yesterday about Peatling with different clubs as favourites.

Twomey to me seems the most genuine with the best mail..

Geelong supporters thinking they'll just give us crumbs and not even their first rounder

Bunch of flogs
Why worry about what supporters think and say!!!

The media are clueless, supporters are 3 levels below that

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm astounded how people here actually rate him highly.
Knowing people who have worked with him closely, they don't rate him either so I have no idea what some people on this board see in him. Each to their own I guess.
I'd love it if I he became a consistent afl level player and proved me wrong, but I just don't see what others do.
I’m sure he is a great person but at AFL level he has no real standout attributes that will help him succeed unfortunately.

in all seriousness here, can someone provide a genuine and detailed reason as to why we are never in contention for players, why we aren’t a “destination club” and why we are always overlooked…

I would love for someone to provide an extensive list as to why (opinion based or factual)

I’m curious as to what people think honestly.
Because it’s so disheartening that we here teams want to go to North, Geelong, Carlton and the other vic clubs etc.
We get as many players as anyone else. The typical negative Bulldog perspective perpetrates the myth otherwise.

Spoke to a list manager once about the media.

He said that Cal.T and Riley.B are the only two that actually take their time to research and are invested in their job especially the Drafts.

They have a good relationship with clubs.

We get as many players as anyone else. The typical negative Bulldog perspective perpetrates the myth otherwise.
We have traded and drafted well since 2014. Would never know it on these boards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have traded and drafted well since 2014. Would never know it on these boards

2016 team had 3 players traded in/recruited from other clubs: Hamling, Boyd & Biggs
2021 team had 6: Keath/Treloar/Schache/Hannan/Martin/Duryea

Of the 9 we had over 2 grand finals Treloar was the only genuine top liner recruited, Duryea/Keath/Hamling were all solid B grade pick ups, Schache/Hannan/Biggs role players at best, Stef was cooked but role player as well,

Boyd we will never know really sadly

Nevertheless tends to suggest the bulk of both teams were built through the draft

We’re viewed as a “small” club. Players want big games we at the G or think playing for a marquee club guarantees success. It’s a status thing n my opinion. We really need to get better at PR around our club and the new facilities.
This...people wonder why I keep saying to piss Ballarat off and play at least 2 Marque games at the "G". If they want players like Butters, we need to think "bigger" not "smaller".

What would we offer for a player that had a poor year, then another year wiped out by an ACL. Who is know to be a loose unit, loves Columbian icing sugar and a 'look at me' flog to boot?

Agree with your point. But there were people on here keen on Oliver when it looked like he might be out the door last summer.

I can't see a king's ransom arriving our way, but trust Power to make the best of the trade situation, and Power/Milesi to make the best use of the draft pick/s acquired.

Regarding us not being a destination club, I do think it’s true we are never really in the conversation for blue chip trades (ie Jeremy Cameron) and we get passed over a bit by bigger name players when we are linked.

That’s a double edged sword though. Trying to pull those kinds of deals off often means paying a king’s ransom in salary/picks etc.

We regularly bring in solid role players so I don’t think it’s a huge issue. We have the best player in the comp because we drafted him, developed him and retained him.

Geelong are a pathetic club that doesn’t trade in good faith, but they know that their first and crumbs isn’t close to what Dogs will accept. They’ll need to get creative.

This Oliver deal makes things interesting because should they get Melbourne’s pick 23 coming back, they can package it up with 15 to satisfy Sam Power.

We love a good 3 way trade:

Cats F1 + 35 to Dees for Oliver & 23.

23 (Dees) & Cats 15 to Dogs for Smith.

Reckon Twomey is just a real footy nerd who almost lucked his way into the media, he’s only half comfortable on camera or the mic but knows his shit. Reckon recruiters and agents trust him with info as he doesn’t seem to have an agenda or ego.

2016 team had 3 players traded in/recruited from other clubs: Hamling, Boyd & Biggs
2021 team had 6: Keath/Treloar/Schache/Hannan/Martin/Duryea

Of the 9 we had over 2 grand finals Treloar was the only genuine top liner recruited, Duryea/Keath/Hamling were all solid B grade pick ups, Schache/Hannan/Biggs role players at best, Stef was cooked but role player as well,

Boyd we will never know really sadly

Nevertheless tends to suggest the bulk of both teams were built through the draft

And Bruce missed 2021 GF, but was a chance at the Coleman until the last seconds of the Essendon game. His 2020 was disappointing (has admitted that himself) but worked hard over 2020/2021 Sumner and reaped the rewards for most of 2021. His knee injuries cruelled him, but his 2021 season was closer to Treloar's standout 2024 season than any single season by any of those other players. Sadly that's the best we saw of him.
(Funnily enough, in his 10-goal game, he got 3 Brownlow votes, and Treloar got the 2. And Dunkley the 1.)

Geelong are a pathetic club that doesn’t trade in good faith, but they know that their first and crumbs isn’t close to what Dogs will accept. They’ll need to get creative.

This Oliver deal makes things interesting because should they get Melbourne’s pick 23 coming back, they can package it up with 15 to satisfy Sam Power.

We love a good 3 way trade:

Cats F1 + 35 to Dees for Oliver & 23.

23 (Dees) & Cats 15 to Dogs for Smith.
Honesty don’t hate that, I think we might be valuing smith a bit high because we don’t want to get ****ed over. He’s devalued his trade value with off field drama , injury and let’s face it garbage form, if we can get a 1st and early 2nd and turn that into a developing inside mid and a small forward I’d be stoked, Richards is more than twice the player and also see sanders bypassing his output in three or four years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back