Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong are a pathetic club that doesn’t trade in good faith, but they know that their first and crumbs isn’t close to what Dogs will accept. They’ll need to get creative.

This Oliver deal makes things interesting because should they get Melbourne’s pick 23 coming back, they can package it up with 15 to satisfy Sam Power.

We love a good 3 way trade:

Cats F1 + 35 to Dees for Oliver & 23.

23 (Dees) & Cats 15 to Dogs for Smith.
If Dees were wearing a big chunk of salary (and they would have to if this was to work at all), then this is on the money.

Nek minut, some media nuffie, "pick 23 on its own should do it".

What would we offer for a player that had a poor year, then another year wiped out by an ACL. Who is know to be a loose unit, loves Columbian icing sugar and a 'look at me' flog to boot?
The most marketable player in the competition who covers ground like few others and is known as a very hard trainer?

Every club would want a player like that. Tank + workrate is the new gold in AFL ranks. It's why Lobb & Bailey Williams are rated so highly by us - massive TOG.

The most marketable player in the competition who covers ground like few others and is known as a very hard trainer?

Every club would want a player like that. Tank + workrate is the new gold in AFL ranks. It's why Lobb & Bailey Williams are rated so highly by us - massive TOG.
Yes. But what would you offer for a player like that?

Yes. But what would you offer for a player like that?
Depends on where our first rounder would sit.
Realistically a first and second is likely to get the deal across the line even though a club that had him would want more.

I bang on about this but the marketability aspect of Smith escapes me. Amongst the late teens crowd maybe but if he isn’t firing on the field he just becomes another guy in terms of bottom line impact.

My two cents on Bailey Smith is that when factoring this all in (both the pros and cons): At times he's shown he is the best player from his draft (although this was brief), he's an absolute professional when it comes to training standards, he's got a bit of baggage, he is a marketing dream and he's coming off a knee injury, he's 24 before next season starts, I think he is worth exactly what we drafted him at, now obviously we aren't going to get that, but a mixture of a first and a second is probably right.

I bang on about this but the marketability aspect of Smith escapes me. Amongst the late teens crowd maybe but if he isn’t firing on the field he just becomes another guy in terms of bottom line impact.
He has the most followers/hits/searches out of any AFL player and it's not even close.

Depends on where our first rounder would sit.
Realistically a first and second is likely to get the deal across the line even though a club that had him would want more.
I'm expecting Geelong's first and another pick. If we get their 2nd, we might be giving them our 3rd.

If his body holds up

Jai Culley could be a nice wing option
How many wings do we need?
We have to wait and see where the club expect Freijah to play first.

He has the most followers/hits/searches out of any AFL player and it's not even close.
Most instagram followers yeah, but we aren't talking about millions of followers, true needle movers. Smith's portfolio of brands reflects that, Monster energy drinks, Kings Domain Barbers and designing some plain white tshirts for Cotton On.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garcia easily gets games without two of Smith, Macrae and Daniel imo
I hope so, but Smith wasn’t in his way this year.

I think if he irons out whatever annoys the coaching staff so much that they drop him out of the entire squad periodically (brain implosions part of it apparently) then he will be fine.

Looks like some Eagles fans see him more as an inside mid long term. Going off reddit of all places though
For once I agree with Eagles fans…
Big strong kid who seems to have all the time in the world when he has the ball.
Would not surprise to seeing him fill Bont’s shoes in the not too distant future!
One to make sure we hang on to!

Re Smith - I’m not sure how you can ‘outgrow’ a place you’ve barely stepped foot in for the last ten months.

He seems like an individual of weak character who, while trying to work out who he is and what he stands for, has been led down the garden path by that flog Connors who has pumped up his tyres at every opportunity which has now given him a massively over inflated opinion of himself. Smacks very much of ‘how to win friends and influence people’.

Thinking back to that hastily deleted Instagram story he posted makes me think he has some sort of axe to grind about something and I doubt whether this will be the last we hear of it.

Good luck Geelong.

Josh Gabelich saying there's a belief Garcia stays at the Dogs.
You get the feeling the more other clubs actually dig into the match footage and forward plan with how Garcia may fit into their teams the more they realise his limitations as a footballer, the same limitations that we can drop him after a 20 touch game rightfully so and look a better team for it next week.

He's obviously an AFL quality footballer and hopefully he improves to cement himself in the team - and he'll have a role to play if none any of Bont, Treloar or Libba miss extended time (which hasn't happened for a few seasons, knock on wood), but even me as a stats guy you wonder if people are understanding Garcia any more than just his stats at times.

On all this marketability talk re: Baz how does it actually benefit the club? Yes he is marketable but it's with those brands like Cotton On etc, we as a club don't get any of that $$.
Are there really a heap of people that fellow him on social and decide to become Bulldogs members or buy merch? I would have thought they just buy the product he is shilling.

To me someone like Nick Daicos is a more marketable player in benefiting the club type of way. Young people would see him play and want to Pies supporters or buy a jumper with his number on their back.

For once I agree with Eagles fans…
Big strong kid who seems to have all the time in the world when he has the ball.
Would not surprise to seeing him fill Bont’s shoes in the not too distant future!
One to make sure we hang on to!
People will laugh at me but I see a young Mark Ricciuto in him. Big shoes I know, maybe half a yard less explosive but similar attributes. I’ll see myself out 😊

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back