Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s happening again with Oliver….renegotiating his contract….shouldnt be allowed to facilitate a trade. Fine once you have the player and you have to juggle the books. You want someone in contract you pay their contract.

It ****ing shits me that Geel keep getting players to play for peanuts because of their culture and lifestyle.

It’s nothing to do with “culture”. Aside from Smith which is a Cotton On rort, they just get farmboys like Oliver and Cameron and locals that want to go back and be the big dog in the small town where they grew up.

He gets a game over Baker thats it and even then it's iffy,

Bloke struggled to get a consistent game at a dog shit North team
Got far more ability than all those in my opinion.
He is the type of player that badly needs a change, history is littered with them.

But time will tell , if no one’s interested you will be proved 100% correct.

Would we consider Curtis Taylor from North ?

Has played on the wing aged 24 good height at 187cm

Around 80 games could be a free shot

I would, he definitely has talent and some X factor. I think he would be more so in that 20-28 player range on our list but he’s better than what we have in depth in that area.

Got far more ability than all those in my opinion.
He is the type of player that badly needs a change, history is littered with them.

But time will tell , if no one’s interested you will be proved 100% correct.

Agree, Taylor’s best at AFL level has been better than each of them. And wouldn’t underestimate the impact of playing in F all wins for years on end. That being said, not sure if he’s what we need at half forward.

He gets a game over Baker thats it and even then it's iffy,

Bloke struggled to get a consistent game at a dog shit North team

If you think he wouldn’t get a game over McNeil jones etc you are watching a different sport.

Struggled at North?

Missed a chunk of preseason, played 8 games straight mid season then got injured. Year before played 16 games out of 23.

Previous years:
2023: 16 games
2022: 22 games
2021: 19 games

Forwards are always going to struggle at north to be consistent which is where he plays his best footy and this year has been transitioned to the wing

It’s the “just for the sake of it” trades that end up burning you.

I occasionally invoke our epic 2003 trade haul of Koops, Street, Morgan, Veale and Rawlings as a reminder.

For the princely sum of the Nathan Brown compensation and our second and third round picks in a spoon year.
That was when Rawlings was walked to the draft and he told everyone that he wanted to play for North… we ignored that and took him anyway… What we need is a team to indicate that if Smith is walked to the draft that they will select him against his wishes like we did with Rawlings… Take the leverage and power back from the players… It’s the only way we can get Geelong to pay up for Smith

Last edited:
If they do it'll be like Sam Petrevski-Seton type and he will be out again in a year or 2 has talent but not enough to make up for his lack of effort
I am convinced you are a relative of VDM, McNeil or Bevo. Either that or you have the most rose coloured glasses of any supporter on this site.

You seem to think every fringe player we have is better than any fringe player at another club.

Other than sanders you think he sucks

If they do it'll be like Sam Petrevski-Seton type and he will be out again in a year or 2 has talent but not enough to make up for his lack of effort
Nah I disagree, I think sometimes as fans we can misread players who play at poor clubs, he's never going to win your best and fairest but I think he'd be an upgrade on a few in our 22 (the usual names).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was when Rawlings was walked to the draft and he told everyone that he wanted to play for North… we ignored that and took him anyway… What we need is a team to indicate that if Smith is walked to the draft that they will select him against his wishes like we did with Rawlings… Take the leverage and power back from the players… It’s ghe only way we can get Geelong to pay up for Smith
The problem is he will nominate for the national draft and no one will waste a top end pick on a guy who doesn’t want play for them.

I am convinced you are a relative of VDM, McNeil or Bevo. Either that or you have the most rose coloured glasses of any supporter on this site.

You seem to think every fringe player we have is better than any fringe player at another club.

Other than sanders you think he sucks
McNeil finished the season well wanted him delisted again after R1 he has shown enough VDM needs to be replaced Taylor does not do this his role,

Because we need specific role players to fill our voids due to the set up of our top end players it's not rocket science if you want to play 3 tall forwards your smalls need to be manic pressure players,

Sanders doesn't suck I have never said that all I have said previously is I am not convinced if he was worth the price tag

If you think he wouldn’t get a game over McNeil jones etc you are watching a different sport.

Struggled at North?

Missed a chunk of preseason, played 8 games straight mid season then got injured. Year before played 16 games out of 23.

Previous years:
2023: 16 games
2022: 22 games
2021: 19 games

Forwards are always going to struggle at north to be consistent which is where he plays his best footy and this year has been transitioned to the wing
and 8 games this year puts him at 24 games over 2 years when he is supposed to be in his prime

Nah I disagree, I think sometimes as fans we can misread players who play at poor clubs, he's never going to win your best and fairest but I think he'd be an upgrade on a few in our 22 (the usual names).
Happy to be proven wrong by him but he lacks effort and intensity for mine

Bramble got delisted from a bottom team (at the time) and went on to finish top 10 in out B&F. Whilst I was well against it at the time, I think it shows sometimes players get discarded when they don't fit that teams game style rather then lack ability.

I hope no one would claim Taylor would be a walk up start but if we lose all of these mature guys in the off season and replace them all with 18 year olds we will be into trouble. It's a delicate balance.

and 8 games this year puts him at 24 games over 2 years when he is supposed to be in his prime
He was just on trade radio talking about him having a late start to the year due to preseason injury, got in the side in round 10 played 8 straight games then hurt his calf.

You can’t use number of games as that he struggles to get a game without considering injuries.

That logic would be like Geelong saying Smith isn’t in your best 22 best he had 0 games this year

Bramble got delisted from a bottom team (at the time) and went on to finish top 10 in out B&F. Whilst I was well against it at the time, I think it shows sometimes players get discarded when they don't fit that teams game style rather then lack ability.

I hope no one would claim Taylor would be a walk up start but if we lose all of these mature guys in the off season and replace them all with 18 year olds we will be into trouble. It's a delicate balance.

In my opinion he would be in that last player or two in, to emergency or just outside of emergencies for our list. 20-28 bracket

Especially with Smith, Macrae and potentially 1-2 of Garcia and Daniel out

The problem is he will nominate for the national draft and no one will waste a top end pick on a guy who doesn’t want play for them.
Then why do we have ‘restricted free agents’ and then ‘free agents’? Bailey and his manager and Geelong are making a mockery of the fair rules put in place, and our pick 7 a few years ago has vanished. This is compromising the whole transfer system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back