Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to be proven wrong by him but he lacks effort and intensity for mine
I actually don't think that's incorrect, I think he could show more effort and be more intense, I don't think he lacks it completely though.

What I will say though is that there is something in being at a club that wins. It would be really tricky being a player knowing that it doesn't matter how hard you try, you just aren't going to win. There's a fine line between it being understandable and being a down hill skier though and I'm optimistic Taylor is on the good side.

I actually don't think that's incorrect, I think he could show more effort and be more intense, I don't think he lacks it completely though.

What I will say though is that there is something in being at a club that wins. It would be really tricky being a player knowing that it doesn't matter how hard you try, you just aren't going to win. There's a fine line between it being understandable and being a down hill skier though and I'm optimistic Taylor is on the good side.
Agree it's a fine line hence i'd rather sign him to Footscray and draft him mid year if he actually wants to apply himself,

Bramble types where they are squeezed out due to depth but have the effort and the attributes are the types to get IMO not guys who have questionable effort,

Just had a squiz at the North board and that is coming across strongly that he is talented but lazy

Agree it's a fine line hence i'd rather sign him to Footscray and draft him mid year if he actually wants to apply himself,

Bramble types where they are squeezed out due to depth but have the effort and the attributes are the types to get IMO not guys who have questionable effort,

Just had a squiz at the North board and that is coming across strongly that he is talented but lazy

Look as I said , you could be 100% correct.
My opinion is only based on talent , good skills, kicking and over head.
The very few times I have seen North play he always looked a player on the up in a very poor side.

Yeah, the North supporters have a better handle on him than most of us.

The very few times I have seen North play he always looked a player on the up in a very poor side.

For me personally I think "talent" wise we are all set we need more Biggs/Clay Smith/Picken/Morris types in the side as that is more what we lack, genuine role players but can actually impact games unlike our beloved Laith

I see it as a talented player, right age, right height and one that will benefit from been in a settled position and will not cost much.

The type of player that other clubs get and turn into been more than a serviceable player.

Low cost therefore low risk but could be good upside.

Would we consider Curtis Taylor from North ?

Has played on the wing aged 24 good height at 187cm

Around 80 games could be a free shot

It’s worth a shot imo

It is illuminating that no journalist is actually reporting on the nature of the contract that Smith will have at Geelong - wonder when they'll cotton on to the fact that a good deal should mean a good trade

Then why do we have ‘restricted free agents’ and then ‘free agents’? Bailey and his manager and Geelong are making a mockery of the fair rules put in place, and our pick 7 a few years ago has vanished. This is compromising the whole transfer system.
Mate I’m hearing you, the system is set up in favour of the players not the clubs. The only way it evens out is if they allow players to be traded without their permission but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate I’m hearing you, the system is set up in favour of the players not the clubs. The only way it evens out is if they allow players to be traded without their permission but I don’t see that happening any time soon.
The MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL all handle a draft and salary cap system that is far less broken than the AFL, and if the AFL's rules were in place in those countries, you'd have far more inequity between big and small clubs.

The issue is that for the draft to have any meaning and purpose in distributing talent, to bridge the gap between when players become out of contract and when they're eligible for free agency, there's just a default assumption (without writing it into the rules) that there's a preference for players to stay with the club that drafted them, irrespective of the size of the club or how much money they're getting paid. As Smith and other somewhat isolated but similar examples show (e.g. Tanner Bruhn etc.), that isn't always the case.

Would we consider Curtis Taylor from North ?

Has played on the wing aged 24 good height at 187cm

Around 80 games could be a free shot
I liked him in his draft year. Played some decent footy at times.
I'd get him to train with us and see what we think, the easy we did with Baker (and Bramble?)

It is illuminating that no journalist is actually reporting on the nature of the contract that Smith will have at Geelong - wonder when they'll cotton on to the fact that a good deal should mean a good trade

It is isn't it? Really illuminating.

They have clubs they don't question, favourite clubs and others that they bash and undermine relentlessly.

According to the media, Scott is a genius, the Cats recruiting and admin are Gods and everything that club does is beyond reproach.

We have a lazy captive media.

On a side note, let's never forget that James Frawley because he was a free agent attracted Pick 3. Pick 3. The whole system is screwed. 🤪

It is isn't it? Really illuminating.

They have clubs they don't question, favourite clubs and others that they bash and undermine relentlessly.

According to the media, Scott is a genius, the Cats recruiting and admin are Gods and everything that club does is beyond reproach.

We have a lazy captive media.
That, or Geelong and Connors are keeping their lips extremely tight because they know if they let slip how much Geelong would be paying him (a million or so per year), merely pick 15 seems like nothing in comparison

You actually get more for the player you lose at free agency than if you get raided when the player is younger.
Yep - the whole point being that if we were to "rescind" the lack of free agency rights on Smith (not possible under the current rules but operating in theory), we'd get more in compensation than if Geelong were trading for him, and it wouldn't be Geelong who pay the price (losing their draft pick), it would be the 16 other clubs (everyone goes back 1 draft spot, with us getting the compensation pick and Geelong getting their player).

Shows how it's a broken system.

The one way nature of all the reporting is the worse part. Everything is either about what the Cats don't have to give up because Smith is out of contract, done a knee, hasn't played for a year, played out of position or its about what we have supposedly done wrong for Smith to want to ask out. No one mentions that the onus is on Geelong to get this deal done considering they have courted him for 2 years.

That, or Geelong and Connors are keeping their lips extremely tight because they know if they let slip how much Geelong would be paying him (a million or so per year), merely pick 15 seems like nothing in comparison

Agree. Surely nobody thinks Smith is playing for scraps with his playing contract? Yes, he has his 'deals' but he would be all about the $$$, so we need to really squeeze hard. Really hard.

I'm hearing Melbourne wanted a first and half his salary off the books whilst Geelong were only willing to pay just over half and a second rounder.
Geelong thinking they can have it all is really something.

Oliver's on what, 1.2 mill a season? Even with all his issues, if you can lock in his contract at 600k, he's worth a first rounder, because the possible updside of him maybe returning to his form on a relatively cheap contract (with the salary cap going up) is immense.

The one way nature of all the reporting is the worse part. Everything is either about what the Cats don't have to give up because Smith is out of contract, done a knee, hasn't played for a year, played out of position or its about what we have supposedly done wrong for Smith to want to ask out. No one mentions that the onus is on Geelong to get this deal done considering they have courted him for 2 years.
Or if all of that was true - done a knee, played a year, uncertainty of his value about being out of position - Geelong wouldn't be making him one of their highest paid players.

Agree, it's ridiculous.

Funnily enough that Cooney is one of the few on our side in the media - but as someone who is living in Geelong and supporting the Dogs more than the Cats currently, it's obvious how the groupthink he's surrounded by might have made him a bit crazy

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back