Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see us targeting a big fish next year via trade, if we are looking to move next years first round pick into this year. Would likely mean, next years hand will be as bad as this years one currently is. Unless we get some picks for the players we trade out. And the AFL will not let teams trade away three first round picks in a row, despite teams being able to trade an extra year into the future. So we won't be able to trade away the 2026 and 2027 first round picks. So my guess will be, if we have some cap space, we might be targeting a couple of free agents.

The simultaneous view of Geelong fans that:

• Pick 20 is somehow worth more than just the vague concept of the 20th best talent in this draft because there's something magical about all the humans that were born in 2006 that made them better footballers than the humans born in 2005 or 2004 or 2003
  • Smith is not that good of a footballer so we don't have to trade much
  • But we're happy to offer him a big contract
  • We're going to pretend he's not that good of a footballer because of his ACL, but ignore than it's not as if no player ever comes back from an ACL. The Norm Smith medallist literally just came back from an ACL this season.
  • But we'll still offer him a big contract
  • He never was that good for the Dogs as evidenced by lack of midfield minutes and lack of extremely high B&F placing
  • Even though that's setting the bar unrealistically high for a 20 year old. Any 20 year old that did finish in the top 5 of the B&F of a finals team or cemented themselves in the midfield rotation of a finals team would immediately command a top 5 pick. The fact that Smith doesn't reach those levels doesn't mean his value is not not a top 15 pick - just maybe not a top 5 pick.

I reckon the folks who think there’s some big secrets and news that hasn’t dropped yet because we ‘run a tight ship’ in terms of news leaking are going to be disappointed.

But of course I hope I’m wrong.
We're legitimately waiting and seeing if we can make a move depending on our salary cap room if Macrae and Daniel leave or not, then we can flip that salary cap room and the fact that we have a slightly better trade position into making a move.

No point leaking anything when everything is initial and contingent in the Daniel and Macrae trades.

We want picks that are meaningful for both players - a single pick in the top 50 for Macrae and in the top 30 for Daniel, not just random shuffling around of back and forth 3rd/4th rounders or whatever. It's not a huge haul but it's not neglibile either.

I don't see us targeting a big fish next year via trade, if we are looking to move next years first round pick into this year. Would likely mean, next years hand will be as bad as this years one currently is. Unless we get some picks for the players we trade out. And the AFL will not let teams trade away three first round picks in a row, despite teams being able to trade an extra year into the future. So we won't be able to trade away the 2026 and 2027 first round picks. So my guess will be, if we have some cap space, we might be targeting a couple of free agents.
That's the rumours floating around. Any of Balta, Rayner, Sam Collins.

Our future first and Garcia for GC 13.

13 and a second rounder (from Geelong) for Houston.

Keep the 17 from Geelong.

Clubs around us are actively looking to improve. We need to as well.

Our future first and Garcia for GC 13.

13 and a second rounder (from Geelong) for Houston.

Keep the 17 from Geelong.

Clubs around us are actively looking to improve. We need to as well.
Garcia hasn't requested to be traded at this point.

I don't think the Suns were one of the teams linked. And he has to actually agree to want to go there.

We won't get their pick 13. Other teams can give up more for it, without hurting their draft hand as much as we will. Will be very surprised if we do.

The simultaneous view of Geelong fans that:

• Pick 20 is somehow worth more than just the vague concept of the 20th best talent in this draft because there's something magical about all the humans that were born in 2006 that made them better footballers than the humans born in 2005 or 2004 or 2003
  • Smith is not that good of a footballer so we don't have to trade much
  • But we're happy to offer him a big contract
  • We're going to pretend he's not that good of a footballer because of his ACL, but ignore than it's not as if no player ever comes back from an ACL. The Norm Smith medallist literally just came back from an ACL this season.
  • But we'll still offer him a big contract
  • He never was that good for the Dogs as evidenced by lack of midfield minutes and lack of extremely high B&F placing
  • Even though that's setting the bar unrealistically high for a 20 year old. Any 20 year old that did finish in the top 5 of the B&F of a finals team or cemented themselves in the midfield rotation of a finals team would immediately command a top 5 pick. The fact that Smith doesn't reach those levels doesn't mean his value is not not a top 15 pick - just maybe not a top 5 pick.
And even though it’s sliding into the 20s we are still going to get the same player we would have got at 15 because the other players that are making the pick slide were never available to us anyway. So it’s essentially still the 15th best rated player.

^^^^^that one is the most farcical reasoning I’ve seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back