Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's play... what was that Freudian slip! Sam Power re: Bailey Smith "...that will play out in the C.....err ummm trade period...."

There was nothing much in Lachlan Brambles career to suggest that he was going to cement his position in the side from Round 1.

4 years for O'Halloran doesn't seem like much of a stretch in an era of exponential player salaries and contracts lengths. One things for certain, we need to increase the quality of our midfield depth and O'Halloran if nothing else, is good enough to do that.
We were in the bottom 4 for ball speed across the ground in 2023, so Bramble had an obvious upside to the team - for free - for one year. Much lower risk vs higher reward.

Xav may be good, but I think the angst is how much upside he presents vs draft pick cost vs contract length.
He's not comparable to Bramble given a number of factors.

We were in the bottom 4 for ball speed across the ground in 2023, so Bramble had an obvious upside to the team - for free - for one year. Much lower risk vs higher reward.

Xav may be good, but I think the angst is how much upside he presents vs draft pick cost vs contract length.

Not how Ball Speed is defined

Ball speed and Leg speed are two different things IMO

Ball Speed has a small element of leg speed but is closely related to skills especially foot skills, game plan etc

For all the posturing around Baz I think the absolute most important thing we should be doing is getting ourselves a pick in the draft ahead of Geelong’s pick.

Gives us back all the leverage as far as walking him to the draft and forces them to pay up. Not sure exactly what it would look like but we should be moving heaven and earth to make it happen.

Might be channelling my boyhood Bulldog heart here, but I think XOH may find some serious improvement with us.

He's the grandson of a Dogs premiership player, been a Dogsman all his life. Then he's been drafted by...the Plastics 😱. The arch enemy. Post 2016. How would you feel?

If ever there's a player who'll be happy to be home, it's this bloke!

Back him in!

Last edited:
Couldn’t care less about one year extra or less in contract length. People were quibbling over how many years we offered Bailey Williams. They probably couldn’t say off the top of their heads how many years he has left now.

GWS have a deep midfield and collection of flankers and wings. They drafted Phoenix Gothard at 12 last year and he was better than our small forwards at VFL level and didn’t play a game. Our flankers and wings are ordinary. O’Halloran would be best 23 for us immediately. As long as we avoid a big overpay on trade price I hope we get it done.

*No doubt we’re angling to turn what we get for Macrae into O’Halloran. Better fit and cheaper.

Last edited:
O'Halloran would provide a direct and immediate upgrade to McNeil and Vandermeer, a player that people have understood are relatively weak players but necessary in the team because the remainder of the list doesn't have their hard running and/or pressure skillsets.

Now people are worried about an additional year, the difference between a second and third round draft pick.

Okay, say we keep the second round pick. Say we keep the salary cap room.

Then what?

People would be clamouring for a way to upgrade Vandermeer and McNeil.

I'm not disagreeing that it may be an overpay for O'Halloran in a netural context. There are better hard-running half-forward flankers in the league. On average, we may draft a better second round pick.

But the context matters - draft assets are only valuable insofar as they ultimately upgrade the team and lead to wins. We don't win more games by having a better draft hand, we win more games by having a better team on the park directly and immediately, of which one way is through drafting players.

People are way too concerned about "winning" trade week in an abstract sense than looking at the team that we will put on the park Round 1 next year and seeing how we can improve that as a first priority.

We also aren’t in a position to go hard ball on contract offers. We don’t have a cotton on with which we can bend the salary cap, and aren’t a destination club that players are lining up to come to.

Rather than an extremely unlikely Butters type trade we are more likely to get our A graders through the draft and need to make shrewd, realistic moves to optimise around them.

Our interest in Peatling and O’Halloran checks out in that regard. Adelaide also isn’t a destination club and had to give a very generous offer to Peatling to get that done. We had to pull out as a Peatling bidding war isn’t in our long term interests.

It’s hard to get excited about giving out multi year contracts to upgrade our list couple of picked players, it’s what we have to do if we want to contend while the comp is in this era and there is very little difference between 1-8. The gains may be marginal in a vacuum but across the H&A season may be the difference between 1-4 or 5-10, if that gap is just one or two games.

I expect we will maybe go a little overs to get O’Halloran done given we lost out on Peatling but I don’t think it’d be crazy. And it’s a smart move.

He comparable from the point off view that he has been identified as filling a need. Where they actually differ is one played regular football in a stacked midfield with a premiership contender and the other is Lachlan Bramble.

As it stands, we have a pretty poor draft hand that contains a middling second and third round picks. Personally I'd rather O'Halloran cost the latter, but I understand that the he is contracted and will in all likelihood cost the former. Im fine with that.

I think the angst is derived from the same place it always is in here. Our lack of ability to land any of the few quality fish thrown a small trade pond. Something that automatically pushes down the standing of any player we do target and bring into the club.

Ha, trade Radio sooking that he gives nothing.

Keep it up Sam, it's not your job to give the nuffies something to talk about.
Agree on the most part, but as a club we could definitely work with the media more and there's times we could use them to our advantage.

Bevo started to get back to that a little this year after what seemed like 2+ years of isolation and giving them nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all - a player I am intrigued by is Bailey Williams. In 2024 it seems he was regularly switched between HBF and a wing role. Is he likely to settle into a fixed-role in 2025, or will he continue to be a utility?

"
Dogs driving a hard bargain on a long term stalwart of their club after having them in the VFL and as sub speaks volumes.

Sam Power going on about how he's contracted for 3 more years etc. That's all well and good but why wouldn't you let him go if he's gonna be played out of position or VFL/Sub.

Terrible club"

I love the Saints board. Having a good old melt but happy with the way their club whinged a few days ago before free agency opened up. Also happy with the way they treated Battle 😏

Hi all - a player I am intrigued by is Bailey Williams. In 2024 it seems he was regularly switched between HBF and a wing role. Is he likely to settle into a fixed-role in 2025, or will he continue to be a utility?
He played mostly wing in 2024. I suspect that'll be his role moving forward.

Last edited:
For all the posturing around Baz I think the absolute most important thing we should be doing is getting ourselves a pick in the draft ahead of Geelong’s pick.

Gives us back all the leverage as far as walking him to the draft and forces them to pay up. Not sure exactly what it would look like but we should be moving heaven and earth to make it happen.
We aren't sending him to the draft, nor do we need to. Geelong will cough up their first plus something. The draft threat is hollow. Geelong also know they courted him and have to pay something fair (not "bulldog's supporter fair") otherwise future players won't want to nominate them.

We aren't sending him to the draft, nor do we need to. Geelong will cough up their first plus something. The draft threat is hollow. Geelong also know they courted him and have to pay something fair (not "bulldog's supporter fair") otherwise future players won't want to nominate them.
Geelong acted like dickheads in the Tim Kelly trade and also Ratagulea.

Hasn't stopped players nominating them.

Also, the PSD was signed off by the dogs board for Dunkley and Smith is a w***er compared to him so I wouldn't say it is hollow at all

"
Dogs driving a hard bargain on a long term stalwart of their club after having them in the VFL and as sub speaks volumes.

Sam Power going on about how he's contracted for 3 more years etc. That's all well and good but why wouldn't you let him go if he's gonna be played out of position or VFL/Sub.

Terrible club"

I love the Saints board. Having a good old melt but happy with the way their club whinged a few days ago before free agency opened up. Also happy with the way they treated Battle 😏
SP clearly stated an hour ago that Saints are yet to talk to us regarding Macrae or make any offer at all, yet we are supposedly already driving a hard bargain?

Talk about a victim complex.

With Sam Power stating that he’s talking to a bunch of clubs trying to get into the first round with our f1, what are the chances Essendon get involved?

Geelong’s first (20) + our f1 for pick 9.

They have Kako, and he’s looking like he may be bid on before 9.

SP clearly stated an hour ago that Saints are yet to talk to us regarding Macrae or make any offer at all, yet we are supposedly already driving a hard bargain?

Talk about a victim complex.
Now talking about Power in some weird sexual posts.

Something wrong with those idiots

I'll feel really sorry for Macrae when he ends up there and ends up on the end of a belting from the dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back