Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

No idea - but let's not pretend like it doesn't already happen.
I think you're taking the 'don't annoy player agents' a little too far if you're suggesting they can demand clubs don't draft their clients. St.Kilda in general are in a similar position to us as a smaller Melbourne club and would appreciate the need for trades to include appropriate compensation for the club losing a player they developed

Another hit piece from JayZ telling us there is only one way forward.

That’s some of the most one sided reporting I’ve seen. Jay Clark may as well walk around with a ‘funded by the Cats’ sign so people are clear with his motives.

It’s disgraceful journalism.

I think you're taking the 'don't annoy player agents' a little too far if you're suggesting they can demand clubs don't draft their clients. St.Kilda in general are in a similar position to us as a smaller Melbourne club and would appreciate the need for trades to include appropriate compensation for the club losing a player they developed
Player Managers do not want to piss off too many clubs or they will not have many clients at all.

Unlike international sports such as Football (Soccer) or even the Rugby's, there are only ever 18 options in the AFL

I don't know the inner workings of the AFLPA agreement and the like but what would Smith realistically do if another team picked him up in the draft? Just not play football anymore and forego 99% of his disposable income? I understand the potential ripple effect of pissing off managers and the like but lets be serious here.

I don't know the inner workings of the AFLPA agreement and the like but what would Smith realistically do if another team picked him up in the draft? Just not play football anymore and forego 99% of his disposable income? I understand the potential ripple effect of pissing off managers and the like but lets be serious here.
My understanding is if he goes into the ND he can nominate a min salary and years for his contract but has to adhere to that if selected by any of the 18 clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding is if he goes into the ND he can nominate a min salary and years for his contract but has to adhere to that if selected by any of the 18 clubs.

Not sure if this has been squished by the AFL but I remember that there used to be a loophole where a player puts a stupid price on his head to discourage being picked up by any other clubs, but once picked up by the desrired club, they renegotiate the deal so that only the first year is at the ridiculous price, but its front ended and drops off in the later years. i.e. Smith says I want a 4 year deal at 1.5 mil, but when geelong takes him, it ends up being 1.5 mil in the first year and only 500 in subsequent 3 years, or something like that.

Smith would structure his contract in such a way, in cahoots with Geelong (which technically is draft tampering, but ...), to make his contract structure in such a way that it fits into Geelong's salary cap but makes it very difficult to fit into others.

Just like how teams stopped sniffing around Luke Ball when he increased his contract demands, and he just, so happened, for no reason at all, was happy to take a pay cut and play for a minimum salary with the first extension of his contract at Collingwood.

Smith would structure his contract in such a way, in cahoots with Geelong (which technically is draft tampering, but ...), to make his contract structure in such a way that it fits into Geelong's salary cap but makes it very difficult to fit into others.

Just like how teams stopped sniffing around Luke Ball when he increased his contract demands, and he just, so happened, for no reason at all, was happy to take a pay cut and play for a minimum salary with the first extension of his contract at Collingwood.
Outside of making his contract a poison pill of sorts (1st year is $1.5m, decreases from there) I don't see how any of the clubs with high picks couldn't fit his contract into their cap. Also the Cats famously don't budge on salary for anyone.

Not sure if this has been squished by the AFL but I remember that there used to be a loophole where a player puts a stupid price on his head to discourage being picked up by any other clubs, but once picked up by the desrired club, they renegotiate the deal so that only the first year is at the ridiculous price, but its front ended and drops off in the later years. i.e. Smith says I want a 4 year deal at 1.5 mil, but when geelong takes him, it ends up being 1.5 mil in the first year and only 500 in subsequent 3 years, or something like that.
It was used by Martin when he moved from gold coast to Carlton in the PSD.

Also not the same draft mechanism but Lions did similar with Daniher to get the Bombers a better compensation pick, discouraging them from matching a bid. 6 months later Lions quietly added a couple more years to his deal to smooth out the salary, this was looked into by the AFL at the time before quietly being ticked off.

Yep. The way Luke Ball did it

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back