Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it all boils down to this, Geelong have always chased other teams players, but have softened the blow by paying fair value. Now Mackie is in charge he is behaving like an arrogant flog, which he was when he played, and I don’t think that has changed.

If he doesn’t pay fair compensation for a 24 year old, with the highest marketability in the comp, who can play in the big games, then players who have good relationships with their clubs will be put off going to Geelong, not wanting their old club ripped off. Think of players like McCrae and Daniels, choosing North and Saints, think of Houston who will go to the club that offers Port best compensation for him, not all players are like Smith.

How’s our luck having to deal with Mackie & Silvagni.
Just needed Dodo for the trifecta.

If Marshall or Georgiades signed a 9-year, $10 million contract though he'd cream his pants.

If JHF did it though, that might be the ultimate VolKaneO.😉😉

And see no risk with Marshall (that he’d admit to 😂).

Doing this would not only see us give up a first round pick which we would likely get from Geelong in the trade, but also use up an extra first round pick on top to reselect him. We'd effectively be burning 2 first round picks to hold onto a player who doesn't want to be there in the first place. It's simply not even worth thinking about.
Thank you. It's the most insane idea I've seen here in a while.

Balta out of the picture for next year after signing a 7 year extension.
The footy IQ will never get there but he is a solid key position player. Well done to him and his management taking advatange of the dumpster fire that is Richmond and the departing big salaries to lock him in.

Doing this would not only see us give up a first round pick which we would likely get from Geelong in the trade, but also use up an extra first round pick on top to reselect him. We'd effectively be burning 2 first round picks to hold onto a player who doesn't want to be there in the first place. It's simply not even worth thinking about.

Thank you. It's the most insane idea I've seen here in a while.

Yes, and nowhere in my post did I say we should. I also said willing - or at least as Geelong would have to think for such a bluff to work.

What I’m saying is the only way we get real leverage in this situation is by doing something we obviously won’t do for a number of reasons. We don’t want him back regardless.

Outside of that, and with other teams being unwilling to touch Baz, we got nothing. The fact that we don’t own our own pick prior to Geelong takes away any real threat it poses.

It’s good and well to say Richmond or whoever should, and that’s right, but they won’t. Connors would ensure that.

We do something insane (any such scenario basically cutting our nose to spite their face) or cop Geelongs first and a pick upgrade, it is what it is.

It won’t be long before a few of these ultra-long term deals seriously burn a few clubs. It’s already happening with Oliver.

It’s like the clubs totally forgot about the flaming Richmond got for their Darren Gaspar deal which (along with some other disasters of the era) led to 3-4 year deals being considered long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But whom?

They don’t have a lot that fills a specific need and likely to move. Would love Stengle but:

- Oisin Mullin would be a great long term replacement for Duryea - powerful and hard

- George Stevens is not so much a need but is a big midfielder in the Dunkley mode. Mean and strong but not fast.

- Tony Conway is also a decent ruck and do well against Tim so will provide him some real contest but not a star hit out ruck. I am a fan of Crossley as an option to help develop English. He is big and mean and crafty. Timmy plays against him every week and he will rapidly improve his centre bounce and if injured we keep our structure. Also an archetype for L.Smith to learn from - will cost nothing.

I don't disagree with any of what you're saying, other than that the threat of someone picking him up before Geelong in the draft should come from 16 other clubs, not from us given the added cost we'd bare (which is what I was responding to).
Yeah that's fair enough.

We can just yadd-yadda rather than explicitly state we would redraft him, which is pretty silly

Problem is, bringing in a Knevitt would mean that Charlie Clarke likely gets cut then if he is hanging on waiting to see if there's a list spot for him. So whoever would brought over, would need to be a significant enough upgrade as a prospect over Clarke which is unlikely you'd think.

What has Kano got to say about that? Constantly picking at Naughtons contract but King at Saints and now this…..
I'd love Cornes to explain what the Bulldogs should have done with the Naughton contract.

Naughty gets approached by Sydney and offered a 10 year contract at 1M per year.
His manager comes to us and says he wants to stay, loves the club etc, so what can you do.
Dogs come up with 8 years at 900K and Naughty goes that'll do - I am a Bulldog for life.

The bloke loves the club, he is loved by his teammates and is in the leadership group.
Not stumping up would rip the fabric out of our culture.

Cornes never addresses this.

He was the leading goalkicker was he not? I’m not saying he would make it. I just think he has a better chance than Clarke.
Doubt either will, but Clarke's forward pressure was a lot better than Dom's and they were 1 goal different

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dogs come up with 8 years at 900K and Naughty goes that'll do - I am a Bulldog for life.
It's not even 900k guaranteed.

There's some performance bonuses ie he has to finish in the top 10/15 or whatever of the B&F to get the last 100k of it or whatever.

So it's a better contract for us in that regard if he has a drop-off in form, when Kane doesn't realise.

It's the same thing with the Macrae contract.

He was going to get paid 700-800k for the remainder of his three years, and it was reported as such, because it was considered highly likely at the time of the re-signing that he would meet all triggers.

But since then he had an unexpected decline in form, and given he didn't have a great year this year, the understanding is that this 750k is reducing to "just" 500k for the final of his three years remaining (unless he somehow has a big turn of form and finishes top 10 again in our best and fairest next year).

That 500k is still more than he would otherwise get in a free market, and the Saints are baulking at it, given there's a reasonable chance he's not good enough to be a best 22 player in 3 years' time if his form continues to decline, but at least it offsets the fact that he could have been getting 700k in three years' time while also not getting a game.

As longer-term contracts become more common in the AFL, so are these "triggers" (which is just a fancy way of saying performance bonus, but trigger implies, performance bonus implies unlikely), e.g.

For instance, Waterman will earn $900k next year.

His contract will also certainly have logic like: he earns $700k for the final year of his contract. However, if he finishes top 15 in any of the two years previous to the final year in the B&F, he earns another $50k for each year. Then top 10, another $50k. Then top 5, another $50k, where if he finishes top 5 in two consecutive years, that adds $300k to the final year.

The Waterman deal was modelled on the Naughton deal.

Not to mention that clubs are often frontloading/backloading/stretching/renegotiating these deals and bonuses etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back