Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of those small field WFA races, but all quality runners, were absolute classics.
We don’t seem to have many now.

That two horse race Big Philou v Rain Lover “match” race in 1970 lacked nothing for excitement.

The commentary at the end was gold🤣

Le Filou, the sire, was very influential in the staying ranks. Unsurprising when he goes back to Spicebox on the dam line. Some very serious staying blood continues to this day from those roots.

Actually blue hens are a bit of a passion of mine. She's one. I'm also very fond of Eulogy. She can be found in Dundeel, Bonecrusher and Vo Rogue, to name a few. Selene is another I like. Simon's Shoes and Almahmoud. Incredibly influential mares.

There will be more recent ones that history will ultimately applaud. The trick is to recognise them before anyone else does. You need time though. And an excellent crystal ball.

Last edited:
On to Saturday. The Toorak! It looks the most interesting race of the Grp 1s. How is this going to play out? The weights have compressed so the light weights don't have the advantage they might have expected. Pericles has bailed to Sydney with the draw. Another Wil, Antonio and Desert Lighting are the winners with the weight compression, every other likely contender is on the wrong end of it.

Another Wil has drawn 1 which probably isn't ideal for him and desert lightning the car park which doesn't suit him. Antino 8 which isn't one or the other. If Will doesn't jump from 1 he could be in a world of trouble trapped several back on the fence with horses coming back on him when he needs to go. Maher seemed very happy with him and he has undeniable top end talent.

Desert Lightning has to jump and cross to sit 1 back the trail on the fence or one out but he's going to burn petrol do it and he carries top weight. Antino I'm uncertain where he possies up but he's a good horse that's been running well against the best. Orchestral has unbelievable talent. She'll be slow away but it's very hard to line up how she's travelling this prep. Roger seems upbeat though. Wasn't great in spring last season but near unbeatable through summer and autumn.

The first 400m could decide this race.

On to Saturday. The Toorak! It looks the most interesting race of the Grp 1s. How is this going to play out? The weights have compressed so the light weights don't have the advantage they might have expected. Pericles has bailed to Sydney with the draw. Another Wil, Antonio and Desert Lighting are the winners with the weight compression, every other likely contender is on the wrong end of it.

Another Wil has drawn 1 which probably isn't ideal for him and desert lightning the car park which doesn't suit him. Antino 8 which isn't one or the other. If Will doesn't jump from 1 he could be in a world of trouble trapped several back on the fence with horses coming back on him when he needs to go. Maher seemed very happy with him and he has undeniable top end talent.

Desert Lightning has to jump and cross to sit 1 back the trail on the fence or one out but he's going to burn petrol do it and he carries top weight. Antino I'm uncertain where he possies up but he's a good horse that's been running well against the best. Orchestral has unbelievable talent. She'll be slow away but it's very hard to line up how she's travelling this prep. Roger seems upbeat though. Wasn't great in spring last season but near unbeatable through summer and autumn.

The first 400m could decide this race.
First silly bet of the season

Toorak Trifecta

Another Wil
Craig
Jimmy the Bear

One for the lads

My first visit to Flemington was Derby Day 1990 (I think). Had always watched the big races at HQ and MV from across the ditch but hadn't been. Hayes had a day out. There were some good horses running around that day.

Actually the Jenni Brightside rivalry reminds me a little of the Super Impose, Sydeston and Better Loosen Up clashes. Good horses going toe to toe on a regular basis.
David Hayes certainly had a day out on Derby Day 1990. In his first year of training after his father retired,he won with Raise a Rhythm, Wrap Around,the Wakeful with Beachside, the MacKinnon with Better loosen Up, the Salinger with Planet Ruler and the Dalgety with Mount Olympus. 2 Group 1’s, 3 Group 2’s and a Group 3. He won 6 out of the 8 races and didn’t have runners in the other two races. Not a bad effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back