Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, and nowhere in my post did I say we should. I also said willing - or at least as Geelong would have to think for such a bluff to work.

What I’m saying is the only way we get real leverage in this situation is by doing something we obviously won’t do for a number of reasons. We don’t want him back regardless.

Outside of that, and with other teams being unwilling to touch Baz, we got nothing. The fact that we don’t own our own pick prior to Geelong takes away any real threat it poses.

It’s good and well to say Richmond or whoever should, and that’s right, but they won’t. Connors would ensure that.

We do something insane (any such scenario basically cutting our nose to spite their face) or cop Geelongs first and a pick upgrade, it is what it is.
Sorry, that wasn't meant to be directed at you. I've seen it suggested elsewhere in this thread.

The basic change that needs to happen is contracted players can only nominate a state not a team. The clubs can then get the best deal possible and get some power back.

I agree in theory, but that only really works in Victoria. WA, SA, NSW and QLD only have two teams anyway (and TAS soon one), so it's fairly likely that the other team in that state wouldn't be overly integrated anyway, at least not enough to create the bidding war that possibly should be required.

If Smith wanted to go to WA, the Dockers wouldn't be overly interested with their midfield, leaving only West Coast anyway.

Sam Power should rock up to the last day of the trade period in full Heath Ledger Joker getup. Would give him an edge in negotiations.

I'd love Cornes to explain what the Bulldogs should have done with the Naughton contract.

Good luck with that. He's cut from the same cloth of a generation raised on social media.

Where agenda setting shit posting is the fastest way to go from a failed fireman, to broadcaster at a bottom feeding radio station and ultimately a lucrative contract with the games FTA broadcaster.

So far it's a strategy thats worked a charm for him. People who care about the state of coverage of the game.

Not so much.

Naughty gets approached by Sydney and offered a 10 year contract at 1M per year.
His manager comes to us and says he wants to stay, loves the club etc, so what can you do.
Dogs come up with 8 years at 900K and Naughty goes that'll do - I am a Bulldog for life.

The bloke loves the club, he is loved by his teammates and is in the leadership group.
Not stumping up would rip the fabric out of our culture.

Cornes never addresses this.

Its instructive how poor the AFLMedia landscape is, that Cane is such an agenda setter that I heard in passing today the toady of AFL Corporatism, DerWayne Russel parrot a variation of his talking point about Naughton when he said words to the effect that Naughton is an overrated failure. Undeserving of such a lengthy contract.

It's ok for the average bigfooty nuffie to say things because we feel compelled to say things. Few of us are under the delusion that anything we write has any influence beyond our own keyboards. It's another thing entirely when the people who actually have a wide ranging platform, say things because they are compelled to say things. No matter how wrong headed or shitty that thing is. Cane is a pox on the game and his influence is only going to get greater. As it descends further into into the mire of his kind of unaccountable hot take nonsense.

Close off the national and preseason draft option for current players. Player can nominate a club but if a deal can't be reached you stay put. If player doesn't like that they can pick another club. That would stop clubs like Geelong sandbagging others.
It’s actually not a bad solution. A player can put a contract on his head if he’s uncontracted and each club (the original or potential new club) is bound by that contract for wherever the player ends up.

Smith could just make his nominated contract $1M for one year. Highly unlikely any other team would use their first round pick on that.

Take Pick 17 and their F2 and be done with him. He’s far from irreplaceable.

Bigger concern is ending up in the exact same position with Jamarra in two years.

He could also do his knee again and be left with a one year contract.

We are absolute gooses for letting Jamarra, English and Smith go into this year with one year left. Everyone thinks Sam Power is a genius for some reason, I haven’t been impressed with him at all.

It’s actually not a bad solution. A player can put a contract on his head if he’s uncontracted and each club (the original or potential new club) is bound by that contract for wherever the player ends up.
Nah that's too generous - a contract is between two parties. Although, I think you mean put a price on his head...Don't care if Geelong wants to pay him a randsom (to then smooth it out over the next 3). If you can't satisfy the club with a trade you don't get the player. They're not a free agent.
Time for the AFL to get serious about equalisation and fix this. AFLPA won't like it but maybe bring free agency in to 6 years as a compromise...

I can’t work out how contract triggers like Naughton or Watermann work. I assume the salary cap is the same each year so how do you not go over if all triggers are meet by player.
Do clubs have to offer others less in case the triggers for extra 200k in final year are meet so they aren’t 200k over cap.
Do the AFL really check the cap every year? Do 5hey have to have reason to suspect breaches first?
I think the way the cap works and how it is policed should be explained more to footy fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He really is a lot like West who took some time developing that small forward type role. Has work to do but agree it is his best chance to be best 22.

A little different to West so the 2 of them could change the dynamic there possibly replacing and adding to VDM or McNeils role

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
As if Bevo wouldn’t play VDM. You could have Gary Ablett snr on the list and Bevo would play VDM ahead of him

But Oliver is taking a pay cut to go there. ...

I know that people love to indulge in unsubstantiated rumours of contra-deals being at the core of why players tend to gravitate to Geelong. Even if they dont have ties to the town or the western districts of Victoria.

But the unpalatable truth is players are willing to go there for below market rates, because they are an incredibly well run and coached club. One that offers players every chance of sustained success in a game where that is becoming increasingly rare, save for occasional outliers like Richmonds dynasty. Or Sydneys ability to remain at the pointy end regardless of how they fare when it really matters.

One only has to recall the years of posts in this place that consistently talk of a cliff that is fast approaching the Geelong F.C.

Predictions that are invariably as illusory and far off as a mirage in the Sahara.

I know that people love to indulge in unsubstantiated rumours of contra-deals being at the core of why players tend to gravitate to Geelong. Even if they dont have ties to the town or the western districts of Victoria.

But the unpalatable truth is players are willing to go there for below market rates, because they are an incredibly well run and coached club. One that offers players every chance of sustained success in a game where that is becoming increasingly rare, save for occasional outliers like Richmonds dynasty. Or Sydneys ability to remain at the pointy end regardless of how they fare when it really matters.

One only has to recall the years of posts in this place that consistently talk of a cliff that is fast approaching the Geelong F.C.

Predictions that are invariably as illusory and far off as a mirage in the Sahara.
Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

So if clubs like ours just can't compete, makes you wonder why we even bother?

Just concede we're now like the EPL and pray for a miracle.

As we hit nearly the end of the 4th day of the Trade Period with a Grand Total of 2 completed Trades once again demonstrating how overrated this period is milked for all its worth by the AFL with club supporter posturing like they have some sort of influence over the results.

Free Agency in all its forms provides better outcomes for most clubs now.

Really believe the Smith Trade will be done with this years first, next years second and we send back next years 3rd.

Can see Macrae and Daniel not moving, particularly Daniel, so reality is the only change will be a player who did not play this year and maybe one on the periphery so will not be weekend.

Would like to see us bring forward next years first to get higher up in this years draft and see who is available as a DFA

Hope you are right about Macrae and Daniel. I'm tired of giving up good players for less than they're worth.

Re: the Smith situation we absolutely need to hold fast. Sometimes you just have to stick to your stated position even if you really want a deal to go through.

Worst case scenario for us, he goes in the draft and we don't get anything. At the very least we would gain credibility for future trading periods where people know we won't just fold at the end as we have done too many times in the past.

Over the long term that extra credibility would likely add up to a lot more than value than pick 17 or whatever it ends up sliding down to become

Smith could very easily get picked up by another club which would be highly embarrassing for Geelong.

So essentially, I think they have a more to lose than us if the deal falls through and hence am happy for Sam Power to sit tight and wait for them to fold late and cough up whatever we are asking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back