Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone bitching about Geelong would love it if the roles were reversed and the Dogs had a sustainable competitive advantage over the comp.

We were all doomed to football purgatory as soon as we became dedicated Dogs fans.

I know that people love to indulge in unsubstantiated rumours of contra-deals being at the core of why players tend to gravitate to Geelong. Even if they dont have ties to the town or the western districts of Victoria.

But the unpalatable truth is players are willing to go there for below market rates, because they are an incredibly well run and coached club. One that offers players every chance of sustained success in a game where that is becoming increasingly rare, save for occasional outliers like Richmonds dynasty. Or Sydneys ability to remain at the pointy end regardless of how they fare when it really matters.

One only has to recall the years of posts in this place that consistently talk of a cliff that is fast approaching the Geelong F.C.

Predictions that are invariably as illusory and far off as a mirage in the Sahara.

Is one flag in 13 years sustained success?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely.

Id define sustained success as missing finals 3 times in 20 years.

Given this is a conversation centred around sustained success. Instead of an arbitrary 13 or 20 years.We could quite easily have gone back 27 years and include the 3 other premierships that they'd won during that time. When they set up the club for what it is today.

Or, I could've recounted our inability to sustain success over just the past 20. A period that many would consider the most successful in our clubs history. A period that only just reached a 50% threshold of finals appearances.

Id suggest that if we had Geelong's level of success over nearly 30 years, then player retention and our ability to attract top tier talent. Might be somewhat easier for us than it has historically been.

For a myriad of reasons. One club is just not like the other.

Another hit piece from JayZ telling us there is only one way forward.

I can’t let this one go, been stewing on it since I watched it a couple of days ago on Trading Day.
Just blatantly states Geelong have been working on this for 18 months. So they’ve put in the hard yards and it’s now their God given right to take him with a single pick. As far as they’re concerned he’s been theirs for that long, it’s just an inconvenience that he was still contracted to us, just a minor detail I guess.
Jay C also using the mental health card to devalue him further is pretty low.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they stage managed his ACL to get him cheaper and start to distance him further from the Dogs 😉

Everyone bitching about Geelong would love it if the roles were reversed and the Dogs had a sustainable competitive advantage over the comp.

We were all doomed to football purgatory as soon as we became dedicated Dogs fans.
No shit we would love it, who wouldn’t.

But it would probably turn us into less invested supporters. Half of their supporters don’t actually know anything about the game, the club is just an excuse for them to go out to the Geelong clubs on a Saturday night after a win.

Considering they make top four every year, play home games at the MCG, are they really that successful? Take away 2022 and they are very similar to Port Adelaide.

I can’t let this one go, been stewing on it since I watched it a couple of days ago on Trading Day.
Just blatantly states Geelong have been working on this for 18 months. So they’ve put in the hard yards and it’s now their God given right to take him with a single pick. As far as they’re concerned he’s been theirs for that long, it’s just an inconvenience that he was still contracted to us, just a minor detail I guess.
Jay C also using the mental health card to devalue him further is pretty low.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they stage managed his ACL to get him cheaper and start to distance him further from the Dogs 😉
Geelong want him, than they are responsible for his mental health, not our problem, you want to drag him through the PSD and trigger his anxiety. Feel sorry for Smith, but he is not making things easy for the club that recruited him, developed him, played him in a GF.

Id define sustained success as missing finals 3 times in 20 years.

Given this is a conversation centred around sustained success. Instead of an arbitrary 13 or 20 years.We could quite easily have gone back 27 years and include the 3 other premierships that they'd won during that time. When they set up the club for what it is today.

Or, I could've recounted our inability to sustain success over just the past 20. A period that many would consider the most successful in our clubs history. A period that only just reached a 50% threshold of finals appearances.

Id suggest that if we had Geelong's level of success over nearly 30 years, then player retention and our ability to attract top tier talent. Might be somewhat easier for us than it has historically been.

For a myriad of reasons. One club is just not like the other.

Mate I have to be honest I think the idea they’re operating on some higher plane of football existence is nonsense. They’ve translated all the advantages that come with the only individual Victorian home ground and a geographic pull for the urban cowboys and surf floggos segment of the AFL into equivalent success to ours for nearly 15 years. Even now, they’re going the bin chicken route for a drug addled Oliver and only getting Smith and his bung knee because they’re Cotton On’s football division.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back