Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

If we offered 17 and F1 as a package, what pick would would be the minimum we'd accept for it? Seems that 8, 9, 10 11 and 13 could be on the table for the right deal.

That just puts us in the same position next year as we are this year, really wanting a first but having traded it out last year for a pick upgrade that may or may not prove worth it.

I noticed Scrag.
So did I. And I've reacted to it with an emoji I don't usually use so it'll be easy to search for and find when the the time is right. I wonder whether eating boogers is an usual erotic fetish or in any way associated with anilingus which we previously learnt was an indicator of social decline

1728631493862.png

.... you can't just say random idioms, Andrew. They have meaning.

Mackie is effectively trying to say that there's a lot of work to be done.

But water under the bridge means past difficulties overlooked.

Is Mackie suggesting that, in order to get him to be a Cat, that there has to be future difficulties, that will then be looked as difficulties of the past that were eventually gotten past, in the future? That doesn't even make sense.

Bloody hell if he's just going to misquote idioms, at least use some of the English language's more impressive ones.

"We'll be flat out like a lizard drinking before he's a Cat".

View attachment 2138462

Is Mackie suggesting that, in order to get him to be a Cat, that there has to be future difficulties, that will then be looked as difficulties of the past that were eventually gotten past, in the future? That doesn't even make sense.

Bloody hell if he's just going to misquote idioms, at least use some of the English language's more impressive ones.

He's just opened a Pandora's floodgate of worms

View attachment 2138462

People are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel of things to be mad about.

View attachment 2138462

I think it's a fair usage of the idiom in modern English. I read it as the deal is not finalised and that there are details (possibly difficult or contentious ones) currently being negotiated (the water upstream) that have yet to be agreed upon.

But I'll defer to expert testimony here. dogwatch

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if next year's draft is like 2022? I'm not confident it's going to be a good draft. We may get a higher pick, but if it's a crap draft we may not be better off.
If we end up with a pick in the 20's this year, I'm confident we'll get a good player.
I said to use it to trade back into this year. Apparently a couple of teams are open to trading out their firsts this year with pending bids and would look to protect that pick by moving it into next year and using the left over points this year to match the bid.

Last edited:
As a Geelong player, the pear didn’t fall far from the apple tree
The issue with Geelong is they want to cross that bridge and eat it too. They've opened this can of worms though, and now they have to lie in it. They'd better hope they haven't put all their chickens in one basket before they've hatched.

The issue with Geelong is they want to cross that bridge and eat it too. They've opened this can of worms though, and now they have to lie in it. They'd better hope they haven't put all their chickens in one basket before they've hatched.
They didn't get where they are today by putting all their chickens in one basket.

Agreed. It’s not rocket surgery.

If we offered 17 and F1 as a package, what pick would would be the minimum we'd accept for it? Seems that 8, 9, 10 11 and 13 could be on the table for the right deal.

I wouldn’t bother. This draft bats deep and we need as many decent youngsters as we can get.

Unless there’s a guaranteed gun at the very high end, I’m massively against shrinking multiple 1sts in to just the one.

On this “water under the bridge” thing-

My world has been rocked. I use it in both the way threenewpadlocks says it should be used and the way Mackie used it. I checked with my wife and she too uses it in both ways.

I am always talking about future plans with friends and say “but there’s still a lot of water to go under the bridge before that happens”.

The internet only really verifies the threenewpadlocks version but seeing as the metaphor still makes sense I vote we allow our beautiful language to be flexible.

Onto the dogs (because the rest of my post has been tangential), I’m crossing my fingers we don’t get into a spiral of undervaluing future picks to get more picks in the present. I’m concerned the Sanders pick swap was a bit of a bust but I guess the Croft factor played into it.

I remember hearing a Gladwell podcast many years ago about data in sport and he basically said it’s a mathematical exploit to trade current picks for more future picks because the value over team with more picks the winning strategy. I’d hate for us to get sucked in on the other side of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back